Wikipedia

saberon

OII! You guys, I am almost com visit the nearby themepark Movieworld.[citation needed] pletely certain one of you guys was responsible for the attrocity! "In 1974, John Longhurst put his dream of building a theme park into practice and purchased 85 hectares of land beside the Pacific Motorway in Coomera. The theme park was officially opened on November 15, 1981 by the Premier of Queensland of the time, Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen. Four months later, Dreamworld's first roller coaster, The Thunderbolt, was opened and remained the major attraction of the park for the next 15 years. A shaky period in the early 1990s nearly led to the closure of Dreamworld. All this turned around with the opening of Wipeout in 1993. Many more thrill rides have been built since, with the world's (at the time) fastest roller coaster, Tower of Terror, opening in January 1997 followed a year later with Giant Drop sharing the same 40-storey tower. Since 2001 an alliance with the Australian Big Brother, which is filmed at Dreamworld, has allowed the park to gain considerable media attention. Visitors to the park can visit the house from July - December of each year. The Cyclone roller coaster was originally based in Luna Park Sydney where it was called "The big dipper" The roller coaster was relocated to Dreamworld due to complaints about noise from nearby residents. Today, this ride receives many complaints from the visitors, for the reason that is has a very slow loading time. An alliance with Nickelodeon saw Nickelodeon Central open on December 26, 2002. This themed area is based on a similar concept which Paramount Parks in the USA have used successfully at many of their parks. This area, due to a lack of maintenance, has become one of the several unattractive features of the park. In August 2004, The Thunderbolt was demolished and sold for scrap metal. The park retained a section of track and at least one train which are currently stored in the park's back-of-house areas. The Claw opened September 2004 as the park's first flat thrill ride in over 10 years. Today, this ride still proves to be fairly popular with visitors, despite, the lack of maintenance put in, such as the fading paint.[citation needed] On September 10, 2005, Dreamworld's newest themed area opened based on The Wiggles, Wiggles World opened. The Blue Lagoon water park area was closed in 2006 to ensure that Dreamworld would not be competing with WhiteWater World, a recently opened water park operated by the same company. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster opened in late September 2007. It is a motorbike coaster and it was built by roller coaster manufacturer Intamin. The ride has proved to be a failure, with many riders complaining about the discomfort of the restraints and long lines. Today, due to poor management strategies, Dreamworld's popularity is declining rapidly, as tourists are opting to visit the nearby themepark Movieworld.[citation needed]" I don't know where to start when it comes to saying what is wrong with this ENCYCLOPEDIA ENTRY! I can't believe how obscenely inappropriate it is f someone to write such scathingly negative remarks uneducated remarks. Comments such as people going to movieworld instead of dreamworld... Poor maintainence.. Lets be serious guys. Almost none of you would have any idea how much maintence goes into these rides. I am extremely dissapointed....

Yeah it's pretty disgusting. An encyclopaedia is supposed to be FACT, not OPINION. This kind of stuff belongs in a blog, not Wikipedia. Edit: And it doesn't stop with the quote above! "Despite continuous maintenance needed on this ride, Dreamworld will keep the Wipeout open. On average, the ride has a fault at least twice a day."

Edited by Derwan

Attrocity? Give us a break. Why not instead of complaining here about something on Wikipedia you actually take some action and fix what is obviously vandalism that exists solely to rile up people like you? Half of what's written on that Dreamworld page is garbage. Is it just that when someone writes negative stuff you get offended and for some reason take it persoanlly?

I cant believe you actually take Wikipedia seriously :lol:
Wikipedia can be a useful source of information when information is added by people who either know their stuff or have done the research. But you're right. We shouldn't take it seriously. In fact, it's quite hilarious that someone can be that stupid to post opinion and misinformation like that. I bet they think they're a real hero - when really they're just a loser. :P

I agree with Derwan, when wikipedia is maintained correctly buy using legitimate sources for information it can be a good reference point. I wouldn't go as far as using it to quote in a university paper, but it's good to refer for ones own purposes. I will clean it up, I just wanted you guy to see. I had a look at all the Australian themeparks listen in wiki, and dreamworld was the only one damaged.

The other day I had to fix up a page on Movie World. It said that Shrek 4D replaced the Police Academy Stunt Show. I wouldn't take anything on Wikipedia too seriously but it is still a great resource for looking up information. I mean before I got an SLR camera, I read A LOT about them on Wikipedia, though, I read stuff elsewhere too. All information on the internet (and media in some cases) is at a risk of being untrue.

Haha! This is a quote from the 'Wikipedia' page: "Critics have questioned Wikipedia's reliability and accuracy, citing its open nature.[8] The criticism is centered on its susceptibility to vandalism, such as the insertion of profanities or random letters into articles, and the addition of false or unverified information;[9] uneven quality, systemic bias and inconsistencies;[10] and for favoring consensus over credentials in its editorial process.[11] Scholarly work suggests that vandalism is generally short-lived.[12][13]" While those critics are correct to an extent, note that in general they request that you cite the information you enter. Generally, I have found Wikipedia as a fairly accurate site, but if I am ever using it for something requiring a bit more credibility I will use the reference lists and citations as a port of call for further reading. With response to the statements being referenced - hopefully someone fixes it up at some point.