What would you do if 'you' owned or managed DW?

skystar_a320

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as for remoing MDMC - I wouldn't care about the costs - as I said that was what I would do if money were no object. No Eureka, No Flowrider, No Claw, Constant issues with GD one sidedness, Constant rollbacks with ToT, Cyclone's pure inefficiency, Wipeouts worrying noises, Is Stingray back yet? Holy Crap Dreamworld really will become that - because you'll walk in the gate, and you'll have to DREAM about riding something - because everything will be closed...

I'm sorry if I caused some confusion ash, But the flowrider has been working for a few weeks now. But i was just using that as an example as it recently was "down until further notice" And Alex, as I have said there is literally nothing maintenance will do to fix the "wipeout noises" as it is just the way the motors are designed to make that whirring noise. It has been making that noise since the day it opened. Sure it's a little bit louder than it used to be but what can be expected from a ride that is 15 years old?

The Claw was undergoing what I thought was annual maintenance when I went a week ago. The enclosure on one of the motors was removed and it looked damaged but I wouldn't know. They had a crane hanging over the fence, but I guess that's part of any work they do... Flowrider looked like crap, the mat had been ripped back exposing the framework underneath, although again probably regular stuff. A friend said he was told it wouldn't be back 'til Christmas.
I'm sorry if I caused some confusion ash, But the flowrider has been working for a few weeks now. But i was just using that as an example as it recently was "down until further notice"
Claw had a technical problem just over two weeks ago and was put down for annual maintenance early as it was going to be a big job to fix. Flowrider PHOTOS are not going to be back until christmas, the ride was back up on Saturday and has been running since then, not a couple of weeks. Edited by Lotl_90

• 2 weeks later...

What changes would you make? Ummmmmm more rides :rolleyes:What would you improve? I would improve the rides i mean there great now but put in a bigger coaster!! :PWhat would you keep? I would keep all the rides there now What would be retired or thrown out? ummmm maybe vintage cars or maybe ummmm idk it all seems great now What do you think is needed to make DW Number one? it needs to be made bigger

• 7 months later...

OK, Rides and attractions changes: -RELATIVELY MINOR CHANGES 1) Replace Reef Diver with a Mondial Shake (the 4-hub model) 2) Replace the Wipeout with another Wipeout. The reliability issues with the model have hopefully been improved by Vekoma. 3) Replace the defunct Eureka Mountain coaster with a spinning wild-mouse. Same layout, but with spinning. This plus the Runaway Reptar will serve the 'low intensity coaster' market perfectly. 4) Add a Mondial Top Scan to Gold Rush Country. I am a complete and utter whore for Top Scans and the world needs more of them. Theme it to a piece of mining equipment gone wrong. 5) In general, improve maintenance, theming and upkeep. One thing I would suggest is getting the Giant Drop back to two-side operation. -SOMEWHAT MAJOR CHANGES 1) Remove Motocoaster. Motocoaster sucks relative to Jetski Rescue. 2) Replace Motocoaster with a GCI woodie, something relatively compact, maybe with a long fan turn turn around the base of the Giant Drop. 3) B&M Flyer on the old Blue Lagoon site. Ideally keep the mountain and give the ride an appropriate theme and name (instead of -insert sponsor's memorabilia here-). For one, it would be a B&M. For two, it would be a unique ride for this part of the world. For three it would be a high-capacity attraction (MUST HAVE 2 TRAIN OPERATION). 4) I don't know how extensive this change will be, but lets look at the possibility of changing the launch mechanism of the Tower of Terror. The primary reason TOT is ran at a relatively low speed is that LIM launches are extraordinarily expensive owing to electricity costs. Would it be even remotely possible to retrofit the launch mechanism to hydraulic launches? I don't know too much about the subject but it certainly doesn't sound like they would use as much electricity. If this is true the TOT could be ran at the speed it should be. With regards to management practices, I think the poster who suggested incentive pay to improve rider throughput was right on the money. Macquarie Leisure is going very well economically, so far at least. If they want to regain ground from WVTP, they will have to put those profits to improving visitor satisfaction.

Ah. Haha, sorry, I wasnt being smart or anything. I thought I heard it somewhere and couldnt think of where. I agree. It would be a great idea. Topscans offer high thrills and would go great in dreamworld. Maybe they could put it near the giant drop and have it as some sort of oil spill to continue the theme with the giant drop. It would be good to see dreamworld pick up some more themed areas with themed rides and coasters instead of just throwing them down like they have IMO.. If I ran the place I would put in a B&M invert. It could go towards the back of the park where all the trees and stuff are. They could theme it to some sort of jungle creature. Or maybe even after the Anaconda.. And have a bridge over water to get to it etc.. Thats what I would work on. A few new attractions with good story lines, and fix up the rest. It would also be pretty sweet to see a B&M dive machine in there. Or maybe a Intamin MegaLite. Them things dont take up a massive footprint but they sure pack a punch with loads of airtime. So much they could do with the place.. I hope they do add a major attraction in 2010. If you look at places like Six Flags Magic Mountain, they are adding coasters so often.. At one period they added 5 coasters within 5 years : 1999 - Canyon Blaster 2000 - Goliath 2001 - Deja Vu 2002 - X 2003 - Scream! Then they waited a few years and BAM. Its ... 2006 - Tatsu 2008 - Thommas land 2009 - Terminator 2010 - Unknown Then look at Dreamworld.. Over the last 5 years what have they got? Claw.. MickDoohan..? *sigh* Oh how I wish Australia had more intrest in Themeparks.. I just hope were in for something big soon!

It's not so much the interest in themeparks as the capital to invest in such a ride. North American parks average daily attendances that are more than triple our parks put together... so they have more money to spend to keep bringing them back. Our theme park industry will never keep pace with the Americans... there just isn't enough people. On that note though, If a park were to put in a unique, world first record breaker, I think it would go a long way to bringing more people out here - and i'm not just talking your ToT\GD kinda record either... take on Tatsu, Kingda Ka and Top Thrill and beat em at their own game.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of two new rollercoasters: One would be a B&M coaster, and the other would be a stratacoaster, like Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka. Add an S&S Screamin Swing or Sky Swat (maybe both! ;) ). I think Wipeout should have its model replaced for a Huss Giant Top Spin. It's totally humungous! Plus, it would have fountains that will soak the riders as they lower facefirst towards the fountains. How's that for exciting! I haven't been to Dreamworld yet, but I heard good stuff about it, and I'm planning to go there during the Summer holidays. :lol:

Well, no arguments for a B&M from me :) I don't know if I'd want a strata coaster though...Not much of a marketing benefit for the park, would be hugely expensive, and a maintenance liability....And at the end of the day there are better coaster types out there. I mean, Top Thrill Dragster cost $32 Mil AUD, but a few years later Maverick cost $27 mil, for a far longer (Time wise) and better ride. In any case, $32 Mil is way out of DWs budget. Some of the newer flat rides would be pretty cool too, but I think the coaster lineup at DW is their weakest point, so they need to do something about that first.

Plus, it would have fountains that will soak the riders as they lower facefirst towards the fountains.
Wipeout used to have fountains, but they have been removed, and the pool below the ride drained and painted. I have personally been on a Huss top spin with fountains (Riptide at Knotts Berry Farm), whilst the ride is pretty good, the fountains were kind of annoying (And this was on a blazing hot day)....getting your shoes lowered into the jets and waterlogged, and head blasted isn't that fun... Edited by Gazza

I don't get why a Top Spin with fountains has never showed up at a water park. I think that would be an ideal attraction for somewhere like WnW where realistically, another slide isn't going to do much to budge attendance and everyone is dressed for a wet ride anyway. As for Wipeout, its still the best model of topspin I've ridden, and I think it's such a strong ride that it doesn't need to be changed for the sake of change. Plus there's no shortage of rides and areas at Dreamworld that could do with some love (Thunder River, Rocky Hollow, Blue Lagoon, Ampitheatre Imax, Captain Sturt and Main Street to name a few)

What would i do if i owned or managed DW? For starters i would increase my salary. build another kids area, add a novelty coaster and increase admission prices to cover my salary increase. :P Seriously i only visited Dreamworld recently and i wasnt totally disappointed but I agree with the above comments a good coaster and the North East side of the park needs attention.

Apart from a B&M coaster, maybe they should have a 4th dimensional rollercoaster, like Six Flags Magic Mountain's X2 and Japan's Eejanaika (I hope I spelt the name of that coaster correctly).
Not a chance - are you aware of the cost of those and the reliability and maintenance issues - A huge risk. They are more likely to go with a standard B&M floorless is my pick or flying like Orlando Seaworld's Manta (but that is stretching it still).

I don't get why a Top Spin with fountains has never showed up at a water park. I think that would be an ideal attraction for somewhere like WnW where realistically, another slide isn't going to do much to budge attendance and everyone is dressed for a wet ride anyway. As for Wipeout, its still the best model of topspin I've ridden, and I think it's such a strong ride that it doesn't need to be changed for the sake of change. Plus there's no shortage of rides and areas at Dreamworld that could do with some love (Thunder River, Rocky Hollow, Blue Lagoon, Ampitheatre Imax, Captain Sturt and Main Street to name a few)
Totally agree with what Joz has to say about the Wipeout. Listen to this guy everyone, he's very wise! Even though the Captain Sturt had a big make-over a couple of years ago, it certainly looks terrible (and it's not just the colour scheme that looks terrible) the boarding on the outerside of the boat is damaged, and, the roofing on the top deck is somewhat damaged, as is the flooring for the middle deck. Now that Farmyard Friends is gone, one can only hope that they use the area wisely and re-instate some sort of show for the boat, shouldn't get your hopes up though, you'll probably be disappointed. Just on the Thunder River, apparently some of the fountains on the ride are now operating again, which is good to see. The one thing Thunder River to me is missing is Fountains/ Jets (something Snowy River at Wonderland had pretty much covered). I'm sure some other people on here are able to explain the changes more in-depth though.

Not a chance - are you aware of the cost of those and the reliability and maintenance issues - A huge risk. They are more likely to go with a standard B&M floorless is my pick or flying like Orlando Seaworld's Manta (but that is stretching it still).
Never thought 4th dimension coasters could be so expensive! Better to steer clear of them in that case. With a B&M coaster, they should just have it as a regular coaster. Not floorless, inverted, or even stand-up, just your basic sit-down B&M rollercoaster.

^It's crazy, Eejanaika cost $49 Million AUD, and reportedly is a horribly rough and uncomfortable ride anyway. If you wanted to go for the whole seat flipping thing, Intamin make both the ZacSpin and the Ball Coaster at a fraction of the cost.

Not floorless, inverted, or even stand-up, just your basic sit-down B&M rollercoaster.
In some ways, getting a floorless could be a good way of making it look different to Cyclone, and perhaps a gimmick they could advertise. Experience wise, I found little difference between the floorless and the normal sit down, but they 'look' really cool, which is the important thing in terms of getting people to visit. Edited by Gazza