35 members have voted

1. 1. Demon or Cyclone?

• demon
    • cyclone

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's still a comparison to have. After all, if you can compare rides like Tower of Terror to Runaway Reptar, then I think Demon to Cyclone is fair. Now, I voted for Cyclone. Let's go through my reasons: Ride Substance Cyclone is a considerably longer ride. Whereas Demon simply takes six inversions in quick succession, Cyclone has the lead up to the two inversions in the form of the fan turns, s-bend and helix. Demon is "bam, bam, bam and back again". Trains This is more trivial than anything, but I'll compare the trains for you. Cyclone uses the Arrow restraints which to start off with are a lot more comfortable than the Vekoma restraints. Now, Cyclone has these nice soft things that make any (pretty minimal) headbanging bearable, while Demon's rock hard things aren't too kind on the head (thankfully it too is fairly light on the old head... at least on all of my visits, some of you might disagree). The rest of the trains are essentially identical, so there's little use comparing it there. Aesthetics I discounted this one for my vote, because I'm giving my opinion on the ride, not the ride's surroundings and prettiness. I mean, if it came down to surroundings or how it looked, my favourite ride would be Luna Parks' Scenic Railway, but you don't see that happening. I've included it here as a disclaimer - you'll see it's favouring Demon. Cyclone has a bright and chirpy colour scheme, which I personally like, but all that does is highlight the dirt and roads under the ride, and the hideously plain station. Meanwhile Demon's surroundings combined with the black paint create excellent atmosphere. Plus those black steel "jailhouse" air gates in the station add nicely to the anticipation. Dreamworld tried their hardest with a storyline for the ride. I think they did reasonably well, but as we've come to expect, it slowly becomes less and less "complete" until it's pretty well all gone. I'm sure many of you who've been there recently wouldn't even know that the faux news updates featuring Gold Coast newsreader Natalie Gruzlewski even existed once upon a time.

well the demon has many features, there is 3 loops and drops at a reasonable height and speed and for starters goes through the ride backwards and mind you completing another 3 loops making 6 in total and cyclone loses a lot of speed during the banked curve and only does 2 loops, now really which is better. more exciting? more thrilling? Demon!

I assure you that Cyclone takes the inversions at roughly the same speed as Demon. They're roughly the same size (because of how they used to design inversions), and if it were any faster you'd have extreme g-forces, and too slow and you won't have the speed to make it through, or centripetal force won't be enough to hold the train to the track and you'll have all sorts of awkward sensations. As far as I'm concerned, the vertical loop and sidewinder/boomerang are all nothing inversions. They don't provide any actual physical sensations. If there were corkscrews or zero-g rolls or whatnot involved, it'd be different, but as they are they don't really give anything. Cyclone really is the better ride. I honestly don't see any comparison in terms of ride quality and substance. Nightshifter, I'm not sure if you've ridden Cyclone (or Big Dipper for that matter), but personally, having ridden both many many times, I can confidently say that Cyclone is the better of the two - and I'd like to think that's not just my opinion, but rather common sense. :D

i have ridden big dipper and cyclone both at dreamworld and luna park and i liked it better at luna park because it looked good. i liked cyclone becasue i like how it goes about 1 metre higher than the big drop just to pick up speed, but i disliked the banked hills becasue they slowed the ride down, yes the loops do feel nothing on the ride where as on the demon there is a different sensation which maked the ride feel more exciting. Going backwards certainly maked the ride feel scarier and your stomach churns well still Demoin is the best!

Here's my unbiast point of view, i havn't ridden iether or seen ither in the flesh to be exact :D but just from see the pictures that I have I would have to go with Demon. Demon for me just looks more intimidateing with it's tight twists and it's black dangerous character. To me the cyclone looks like one of those coasters that you would find at a seaside park (that's pretty ironic now I think about it...) and doesn't have much character at all. Thats just my opinion though and that statment sounds even mroe ironic now i think about it :D but I would still want to ride Demon first if i had the choice. Shaun

My vote goes for Cyclone. I will however say that I much prefered Big Dipper ove Cyclone as its layout worked much better with the tight surroundings of Luna Park and the speed as well. It didn't do anywhere near as much for me in its present form. For starters (although maybe not now but certainly initialy) Cyclone is a much smoother ride it glides around the track a lot better than the Deamon train which is more thrown through the elements. Second, it contains a lot more variety than Demon does simply from its larger layout and longer ride time. As for the ride itself I'd say Cyclone is the more attractive of the two with its nice painted track and clean look. Demon has a lot more hardware involved with the lifting mechanics, valley platform and staircase in the boomerang and all that which I don't think looks all that attractive. However the surroundings for Deamon do it a lot more justice when compared to dirt and road as Richard said. When it comes to themeing I'm not even considering it because IMO you can't just theme a coaster by theming the que and the station. Either the entire ride is themed or it gets no points at all. At the end of the day no matter what you do to the station if you then just have a heap of track there it doesn't really achieve a lot. Finaly, the Vekoma Boomer is the single most cloned coaster in existance so theres nothing really even remotely special about it so that comes into it for me too.

If it was between Demon and Cyclone back when it was at Luna Park, Cyclone (or Big Dipper) would win no question. You can't beat a coaster with a view like that. Now i'd say their pretty much even. Both are average rides. Neither has anything particularly special about them. I'd still probably go toward Cyclone though simply because its a custom layout and you won't find it in fifty other parks throughout the world. ________________

Its been a while since I've been on Demon, so my view is probably wrong, but I'd go Cyclone any day. I didn't find going backwards through the inversions in the least bit enjoyable, and the braking system is a joke with how rough it is/was. Ok, Cyclone doesn't have as many inversions and it does have one of the worst cycle times on any ride I've seen anywhere, and it does have a poorly designed (thats as polite as I could put it) queue house, but the ride isn't that bad. It has a few fast spots, and for the space restraints it must have had, used the land very effectivly.

I must agree with the majority of the voters here. You may all be thinking that I would be voting for Demon because I'm "the biggest Wonderland fan-boy" out there, but Cyclone, IMO, wins by far. I took my first and only ride on Cyclone back in April in the front seat, and it was all a blur. It was fast paced, smooth and full of g's. The best moment of Cyclone has to be the helix. Having ridden Demon well over 600 times, it practically delivers absolutely no thrill for me anymore. If I was to get any type of thrill out of Demon, then it would to be on a miscatch and valley in the boomerang. All I seem to say "Ow, ow" and "ouch!" through the elements, especially when going backwards and pulling out from the loop.. that is extremely painful. The only cool part about Demon is the ride operators themselves.. they can say some spiels that are much more enjoyable than the ride itself. Cyclone on the other hand was amazing for me. Having never gone on Big Dipper at Luna Park, I can't make a comparason to what it was. The sidewinder did a lot for me, it kinda felt like the train was sinking into the track. Any coaster with air time, loops and g's quenches my fix, so Cyclone is the winner. ~Liam

• 5 months later...

Ive been on cyclone 3 times and demon 0.The fact that i have never been to sydney before may contribute to that but if i had gone to sydney before the closure of WL then believe me it would have been the first thing on my "to see"list.Cyclone is good at first, but believe me it gets boring after a couple of rides.The turn before the 360 degree loop and the loop itself are probably the best part, and the drop's good,but apart from that...The reason the trains dont go through the inversions is coz of that curving hill before hand which slows the rest of the ride down.Corkscrew,leathal weapon ,demon, ect,all have loops straight after the first hill, which promises to be much more eye- popping.The thunderbolt was the coster that gave me that feeling the most (probably the height of the loops)...Anyway,back to the point,I would rather go to WL for free just try the Demon than go to DW for free just to see the Cyclone.

Hmm, I have only ridden on Demon once and have never ridden cyclone. Id found Demon to be exiting soley because It was my first looper (and what a fun ride it was) also it was exiting because I didnt know when the train was going to be released. But I suppose the exitement would go away. Both rides dont really have much theming but Ill say cyclone has better theming because I am impartial to tropical plants. i did find Demon to be a little bumpy but it wasnt too bad. So because I havent ridden both I cant fairly say which was better. But for intensity i think the Dee would win. BTW, has anyone ridden Demon as Titan at World Expo Park?

the cyclones drop i find boring becasue its not steep or really high becasue it does not reach the ground, the bank curves ruin it because it looses speed and the loops are just boring. The ride sucks but i love the demon, The demon is more suspenseful on the first drop and does have 2 large drops, the ride consists of forwards and backwards motion and involves 3 loops which you do 3 forwards and 3 backwards. The ride is exciting and exhilarating and i think its the best roller coaster in these 2 opinions.

I am voting for the cyclone (big dipper). I have been on both rides and by far the cyclone was the better one FOR ME. I dont really care what the ride looks like or the theming becasue a coaster is still the same coaster with or without the theming/ trees/ landscape or what ever. the demon was really rough when going into the loops. It was like the track was made up of small straight section the form the curves. The cyclone was way smoother when i rode it this year. So That just my say if it makes sence. Anyway Cya

• 8 months later...

Well each has its advantages and disadvantages However for me the prize goes to demon I found cyclone to be relatively thrill-less compared to demon. The first drop dosent even make your guts turn, and the rest of the ride is only banked curves. I think the best element on the ride was the steep banked turn before the 2 inversions. Even tho it was by far longer in length i found it to be over really no sooner then it started and i was left with a feeling of "is that it"? Basicly my view of the ride can be summed up of how many times i rode it during my last visit to DW. We were there 2 days in a row, and i think rode it only once each day. Compared to say TOT which we rode 3 times the first and 4 the second. Demon had an amazing first drop. Ill never forget my first ride one it...I can still remember sitting there holding on for my life as we got lifted backwards up the lift hill. And when it let go, that amazing feeling of your guts trying to escape your body. Unless you know the ride well when your sitting there you literally have no idea how much higher its going to go or when you will be released for the ride to start. The rest of the ride for me was just as good, fast inversions which made your head spin (especially the vertical loop going backwards). Basicly i think that demon was by far a more intense ride, which simply is what im looking for in a ride. If it dosent thrill me then i figure whats the point....Sure demon was a bit run down, needed new paint and blah blah blah blah...but i still say if i had the money i would have bought demon a block of land and put it up all for myself.

Like so many other people, my vote is probably biased. i will vote for demon. In voting, I have taken into account the following: Yes. Demon is one of the most mass produced coasters in the world No. Just because its mass produced, doenst make it a bad coaster. Yes. It was mass produced because it was a GOOD coaster (and cheap too) I have been on cyclone 4 times. I have lost count of how many times I rode Demon. Cyclone's poor attempt at themeing has only gone downhill since it was created. Demon's theming suited the area, and allowing the area to fall into dereliction fit right with the theme. Cyclone's experience itself is mediocre at best, and this dulling of the senses is probably as a result of the hours of queue time you have just spent putting you to sleep. While it is a unique coaster, no individual element is itself unique. Demon, while it is a mass produced clone, has something I have never seen on another non-vekoma coaster - the boomerang element. not only is there nothing like going upside down, bending left, righting up, bending right, upside down, and then topping off a loop for good measure, but then doing it all again backwards! I have been on demon so many times, I can guarantee I have sat in every seat in every car. I can tell you exactly when it will drop from lift 1, AND from lift 2, no matter where I am sitting. I have myself operated this ride, and while it may have been a piece of crap, that was Sunway's doing, and no fault of the ride or the park it was in. Dreamworld goes "we're about to lose thunderbolt. we need another coaster in here so we dont lose our crowds to WBMW.... BUY THE BIG DIPPER ON THE CHEAP! WOO HOO!" yes wonderland bought titan second hand, but it wasnt a rush job because they thought they were going to lose business... Cyclone is a unique ride design, but it has no unique elements. its like a leggo kit - get a heap of pieces out of a box and join it together. Demon's boomerang was something unique to Vekoma at the time. you had to get it straight from vekoma, nobody else could make it for you...