The Official Jet Rescue construction thread

rappa

Woah! Vertical construction already? :blink: When is this supposed to be finished by, does anyone know?? It looks like it's going to be a good coaster. But only time will tell. I rode the Motorcoaster at Dreamworld last week for the first time. My general thought was: FAILURE. The launch, first turn and first hill was good, but after that.... I was just like, did i mistake this for the Runaway Reptar Coaster?? :huh: Final comments: It's a family coaster, no way is it a thrill ride. At least WVTP's hasn't stated that it's a 'thrill ride' yet, like Dreamworld did, and then the ride turned out to be a family coaster :lol: . From the 2 pics I don't think you can really tell what the layout is going to be like, but that last turn into the brakes looks more tighter, as said before. Who knows it could turn out like another moto-coaster, which is all we need! Random question, how fast are the launches going to be on the Jet Rescue coaster?? Will it be any faster than the MDMC's. When you think about it there is only one good 'thrill/extreme' rollercoaster in Australia at the moment (Superman). The rest are either too slow, rough or outdated *cough* TOT *cough* :P . 2 things I want from a coaster are consistant speed and smoothness. My favourtie coasters in Australia would have to be Corkscrew and Superman Escape cause of their smoothness and consistant fast speeds. And that's all I hope from this new coaster.

Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That ground hugging turn looks pretty cool...little midget supports. I think the feeling of speed will definitely be there...With MDMC you can see they sort of attempted that by keeping the layout fairly flat, but they sort of missed the point by having the whole ride several meters in the air. One thing though is that this does seem pretty short...up and back a couple of times really.

When is this supposed to be finished by, does anyone know?
Everyone knows, sometime in December.
Random question, how fast are the launches going to be on the Jet Rescue coaster? Will it be any faster than the MDMC's.
Who is going to be able to say that? Edit: Wonder what is the go with all the concreted trenches...Is it all machinery rooms? I have a suspicion some of it could be for an underpass beneath the station for the entrance/exit. Edited by Gazza

Schoolies starts 26th November, and im pretty sure most schools go on holidays officially around the 19th of december. so realisticly i think we are looking at an opening date in between those two above or around then
Don't count on it - the usual opening for a major new ride is Boxing day. At best there could be soft runs in December, all going well

I think they're moving away from official opening dates having learnt their lesson with Superman Escape. It was due to open on the 26th and there was enormous publicity for this, but then it wasn't finished by Christmas Eve and so staff were called in on Christmas Day so that it'd be ready. I assume this is why there hasn't been much hype so far. It'll probably open as soon as it's ready with some sort of official launch a few days later. They're not going to leave a completed attraction sitting for a fortnight just so that they can launch it on boxing day, when all the while Seaworld could be getting more guests.

Edited by cerberus584

so their going to try and open it on my birthday are they (the 26th) or once fully completed and tested there just going to open it because they could also probally try and have the official opening then if they finish a few days later because just keep in mind that they also have to place scenery as well because your all saying that its to be themed to some kind of animal resceue aswell so yeah

The 26th has traditionally been the opening day for attractions at Gold Coast parks but in recent years they haven't followed this pattern as much, I think largely because it's ridiculous to not have publicity efforts at full bore from the start of the busiest period of the year rather than halfway into it. It's evident that Sea World have made sure to get well underway with plenty of time to spare. Dreamworld were roughly at this stage of construction two months out from opening (which was delayed by a few weeks), so in this case they're evidently playing it safe and anticipating the usual technical and weather delays that are inevitable.

Great except for those damn MDMC style of supports... eww i hate those
I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this style from Intamin. I think they've obviously found ways to reduce their costs by utilising prefabricated components wherever possible, which is where things like the girder supports and disappearance of the welded bolt plates come into it. Seems a shame too because it's only in the last 10 years or so that companies like B&M, Intamin and even (gasp!) Vekoma have been able to really get on top of coaster design in terms of aesthetics. It does seem a bit of a step backward, but I guess it all comes down to cost and functionality.

I've got to say I'm disappointed by what I've seen so far. It looks like it's just going to be another Motocoaster... and that's a scary thought. Here's hoping we begin to see some real points of difference over the coming weeks. Obviously I'd like to see some decent theming (which Dreamworld's Motocoaster seriously lacks) but most important is the ride experience. The layout must be a significant improvement on Motocoaster or else we are in for another lackluster coaster

Ok, some updates. First thing, I was able to get pics of the trains. As I was heading out I spotted a bunch of containers over on the eastern side of the car park...BUT, one was ajar and I could see a white thing in it, Immediately i knew it had to be the jet skis (I reasoned a real jet ski used in shows wouldn't be delivered in a container) I jogged over quickly before some worker or the wind shut it (Skyway was closed because of the winds) Now, I'm not stupid, I kept my distance and didn't trespass, didn't try to open the door wider or anything like that. I took the best pics I could from where I was, so unfortunately no nose cone. I walked down to Maccas for a bite, and when I came back for the bus back to Helensvale station I went back to where the containers were to see if the wind had blown it open more or anything, but it was shut so that was it. Right place at the right time I guess. But yay, they have followed the KISS principle in designing them, and they just have a simple lap bar, which should dramatically speed up boarding. In terms of layout, its looking a bit like this now....some parts are still just footers, but its looking interesting: post-88-1222250591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gazza

Wow, I didn't know the footers went all the way out behind corkscrew. From Gazza's piece of art the layout looks entirely different to MDMC. Thanks for the pics of the jet skiis, they look great from the what the photos show. In the picture attached is that the final brake run, if so isn't it rather small, almost to small to fit a train of more than three or four jet skiis max. Does this mean we are looking at multiple trains made up of only a few carriages?

post-2163-1222251435.jpg

I think space limitations have forced them to split the brake run in half, the first bit will knock off most of the speed (so its more like a trim brake), but it will sill go around the turn a bit fast (hence it being banked) but the last section will be where the actual block is (where the train can be stopped) and last bit of speed will be knocked off here.

I got the fun of riding the monorail and log ride to get those pics. On a side note, I loled in the flume queue when a ride op (Do you know a Lionel?) wouldn't let a group of two ride alone (they didn't want another pair in the boat)...."Dude, there's like 100 people in the queue, I cant do it" The pair reluctantly agreed in the end.

That transition looks much smaller than what's on MotorCoaster. Even by looking at what is already up, it looks like we got a fast coaster on our hands. If they are banking at nearly 90 degrees (would that be 90 degress on the last left hand turn in this PIC) on the last turn it's gotta be fast or at least maintain it's speed throughout the ride.

I think space limitations have forced them to split the brake run in half, the first bit will knock off most of the speed (so its more like a trim brake), but it will sill go around the turn a bit fast (hence it being banked) but the last section will be where the actual block is (where the train can be stopped) and last bit of speed will be knocked off here.
It's smart thinking by Intamin. But won't it affect the end cars speed around the last corner? Because if you think about it, the front couple cars hit the 'trim brake', slowing down the train, the back carriges will still be on the banked u-turn. Making the back cars travel slower than the front around the last bend? :huh: Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

^Ah well, its only a minor issue, but what you describe will probably be what will happen. Sit in the front on this one ;) Its no different to say Corkscrew, where the back cars go faster around the turn at the top of the lift hill than the front ones, because the front cars are already speeding up down the drop while the back cars are still going around the turn.

Edited by Gazza

Its no different to say Corkscrew, where the back cars go faster around the turn at the top of the lift hill than the front ones, because the front cars are already speeding up down the drop while the back cars are still going around the turn.
That's why I love riding in the back, especially on gravity driven coasters (ordinary chainlift and drops). It gives you that extra pull over the drop. Espcially on corkscrew, which = Airtime :D . I also find Superman more forcefull in the back. Even on the launch there is a significante difference in forces from the front car to the back car. It still makes me laugh how people think that the front is the worst part of the train to sit in, so they stay in the middle or back rows. But little do they know that they were better off sitting in the front row lol :P Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

^^^^thanks ct so im (although i already had it planned out) going to always sit in the 2nd row from the front because of 1.flying stuff (eg. flying bags of crap aka seagulls (you can never get to many feathes and bird diarreah in your mouth when your travelling a 140 k's per hour)) 2. the forces 3.flying chunda