The Official Jet Rescue construction thread

rappa

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never knew they made concrete pipes 7.8m wide.
Smart a** :) Yeah the idea of a closed rectangular or square coaster tunnel made out of concrete (as opposed to the more common inverted U shape) is unthinkable. Just as a unthinkable is coaster passing through a water logged area. But as I have said, I was only told that it is on it's way to Oz. SW was just my assumption. The water table and height restrictions are not really issues. But the footprint may be. How about we all just hope the information is true and somewhere in Australia there will be a B&M coaster soon.

post-225-1212929314_thumb.jpg

post-225-1212930104_thumb.png

On the B&M thing - saw a doco on TV this past week, which showed the production process that B&M use. Laser cutting of the box-to-rail joins, and if the rail doesn't fit the box supports, the whole box gets scrapped and start again. Once they have it all welded into place, it gets taken outside and they allow the weather to get at it, and they make the steel actually rust, so that they can find the thin spots or holes, and fix them. So, for a ride opening before the end of the year, B&M would have to have started production on it late last year would be my guess. Perhaps VRTP have ordered one from B&M, and if they get approval for African Safari World they'll put it there, and they might have a backup location at Movieworld to put it in should that fail. Just a thought...

There is obviously still a couple of years till African Safari World actually happens (that is if it happens) so, if there is a new B&M coaster heading our way in the next year, I would highly doubt it would be for ASW so soon. Who knows, this coaster could be going anywhere. There is even some talk that it could be heading (the one in the production facility) to Kings Island, due to reports of construction, and what appears to be a splashdown (one similar to Sheikra or Griffon) being constructed at the park. I would like to say that this is just a rumor. Who knows what will happen here in the land of Oz in the next couple of years. My bet would be though that we won't be seeing one for a very long time. (I hope I am wrong though).

Can ask petestrash the photo Gazza showed, you said that's ours!!! Is it? How do you know that? Can I just ask how good's your source!!!
I have worked on and off in the amusement industry for over 20 years. I have dealt with the person who told me this for over 15 years, and based on past information has been very accurate. When I know more either way I'll visit back here.
Perhaps VRTP have ordered one from B&M, and if they get approval for African Safari World they'll put it there, and they might have a backup location at Movieworld to put it in should that fail. Just a thought...
I think that this is a likely scenario, just very strange to have something worth millions, sitting idle for a couple of years. I'm heading back overseas tonight. If I find out more, and it's ok to pass on I'll post back here. Edited by petestrash

One thing I do want to know is how they get the ride so smooth is it train design?
Im sure train design would come into it, but my thinking is your question was answered by the post you were replying to - Ads stated:
Laser cutting of the box-to-rail joins, and if the rail doesn't fit the box supports, the whole box gets scrapped and start again.
Now to me that says the rails are engineered to the correct tolerances from the start. If the box section doesn't suit the rail, they scrap the box. To me it seems far easier if theres a little bit off in the supports to move the rail to suit the box, but of course this would alter the tolerances that were manufactured into the rail, and therefore make the ride a lot less smooth.
I think that this is a likely scenario, just very strange to have something worth millions, sitting idle for a couple of years.
I think it's great that we have someone on these boards with this kind of advanced information, however all he has said that is factual (according to him) is that the dive machine is headed for Australia. For all we know a billionaire has ordered it for his private entertainment. He makes the ASSUMPTION that it would be going to sea world because its the only park with works underway, but completely discounts the fact that public announcements and even COUNCIL PLANNING APPROVALS have already been made. He discounts the publicity shoot, the announcements to staff, and the fact that a dive machine would not be suitable for sea world, JUST because its the only park currently undergoing works. He argues that point tooth and nail, and once we all show him enough evidence as to why its virtually impossible, he concedes "maybe they'll put it somewhere else first, before ASW", and now he's saying "i think that is a likely scenario" when earlier it was sea world all the way... Grain of salt people - grain of salt.

Really, it just comes down to local planning restrictions. I'm sure someone like Skeetafly can shed more light on these sorts of issues.
I just wanted to agree in what Gazza is saying. I keep hearing that these higher rides will be built at Sea World. I will tell everyone now that this will not happen, not unto at least 2020. I will give you the information that I know that has made me make this conclusion. I only really have to say one name Ron Clarke. For any one who does not know who Ron Clarke is you can check it out at Wikipedia. Ron Clarke is the current Mayor of the G.G.C.C. and has been from 2004. In the latest council elections for the gold coast developers where advising on voting against him. My personal perspective of him is he is a 71-year-old man that needs to retire. I personally find him anti development. You only need to look at a couple of weeks ago when the G.G.C.C. closed down the WRX Experience at Pimpama. Attempts to set up an auto precinct on the Gold Coast have been repeatedly thwarted by some councillors, including a recent push for a motocross track at Molendinar. I find the G.G.C.C. attitude towards motor sport amusing when they put out thousands of residence each year for the Indy but will not let local’s have there own track. If you look at the save our spit web site you will find that Ron Clarke is a supporter. Here is a list of what these originations have been fighting. To do List Shipping Terminal Developed stopped Marine Stadium Developed into a Marina stopped Marine Simulator stopped Ferris Wheel removed Stick to the Town Plan no High-rises on Our Spit! Keep the atmosphere and open spaces for all to enjoy Gazetted - for protection forever! This is how this group protested their position to the council about Sea Worlds Eye. Now whether or not you like ferries wheels... this wheel sets a very very bad and dangerous precedent for height levels on The Spit. It is too high, too dominating and in the WRONG PLACE. But needless to say, the developers will be cheering it on. Put simply, it sets a terrible precedent - on what basis can anyone object to a structure of similar height within Sea World. And by extension, north, east and south ... if the Planning & Environment Court allow Sea World's appeal to approve the Eye as a permanent structure on The Spit? The community has made its views clear that Spit height levels should be limited to 3 storeys maximum; refer to Vision 2020 and recent petitions and public dissent over suggestions of higher levels of development. Contributes to the unfair public perception of the Gold Coast as a cheap, glitzy, fairground town, not a beautiful and natural place to live, visit and enjoy. Main Beach and Southport are beautiful places and no one company or tourist facility has the right to so degrade the visual amenity and meaning of the area. So to end my dribble, anything that is over 3 storeys high has to go through town planning. Ron Clark’s team has to sign off on any amendment or relaxation to height restrictions. Ron Clark supports Save Our Spit.

Contributes to the unfair public perception of the Gold Coast as a cheap, glitzy, fairground town, not a beautiful and natural place to live, visit and enjoy.
I'm sorry, but a cheap, glityz, fairground (?) Town is pretty much what the GC is. Why on earth would you live there if you were opposed to high rise development. Natural place to live? In the hinterland maybe. There are plenty of other spots along the tens of thousands of kilometers of the Australian coast which are unspolit, so what is the point of stopping developments in an area where a precedent is already set? How is another ride on the SW skyline going to change the look siginficantly? The water slide tower and corkscrew already dominate anyway. IMO, they should not have a blanket 3 storey limit, they need to be more specific. No apartment blocks or whatever, but they should have a line saying it doesn't apply to amusement devices.

But then all a developer has to do is take the Council to court over such double standards and the restrictions will invariably be overturned. My feeling, as discussed in topics about Sea World Eye in the past, is that yes I'd love to see such taller attractions permanent fixtures at the park to make the most of its incredibly unique location, but not at the cost of one of the few remaining unspoilt areas on the Gold Coast. As for Ron Clarke being an anti-development mayor; if there's one thing the Gold Coast needs, it's someone to step in and stop the endless irresponsible development that the city is seeing. Fact is infrastructure is not keeping up. There is nothing wrong with progress, but what the Gold Coast has seen in recent years is not progress, it's rapid expansion with little concern for the ongoing repercussions of it. I can't understand why anyone would argue that there's something wrong with residents wanting to keep one final vestige of oceanside land in the area free from highrises.

I think I have been misunderstood but I think I didn’t state my positioning correctly. The information I was talking about was more to show why sea world will not be getting a B&M. My personal stance on the spits height restriction is 100% supportive for this area. The Broadwater is a place that we all should be able to enjoy. I don’t understand what you mean by irresponsible development that the city is seeing. The Gold Coast has one of the highest levels of regulation to protect the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is one of the fastest growing cities and people moving to the Gold Coast need somewhere to live. I think the infrastructure is outdoing a lot of other major cities. A new hospital is about to be built and the new light rail system getting designed now. I think the Gold Coast is better of the most cities. I would rather drive a car around the coast then in Sydney any day.

I was a bit :blink: at first, but I'm guessing it was maybe this show. Using a quote might have made things clearer in his post.

On the B&M thing - saw a doco on TV this past week, which showed the production process that B&M use. Laser cutting of the box-to-rail joins, and if the rail doesn't fit the box supports, the whole box gets scrapped and start again. Once they have it all welded into place, it gets taken outside and they allow the weather to get at it, and they make the steel actually rust, so that they can find the thin spots or holes, and fix them. So, for a ride opening before the end of the year, B&M would have to have started production on it late last year would be my guess. Perhaps VRTP have ordered one from B&M, and if they get approval for African Safari World they'll put it there, and they might have a backup location at Movieworld to put it in should that fail. Just a thought...

I think of him more as a nightrider. He came in said what he said and then he was gone. Sometimes I just think people say something just for the sake of it.
You would have had to be around on RC / Total Thrills in 2004 - 2005 to really understand what I was meaning by the Nightshifter comment. But not to worry... A modern example of Nightshifter would be... well I can think of a few members who fit that bill reasonably well :P

Nightshifter [noun] - A user who frequented these boards several years ago (last post December 2004) where he frequently made random posts, posts without any basis, or were presented as fact without evidence or even the presumption of truth to them, in my opinion just as an attempt to big note himself. Great statements include:
um if u read, it said that the land isnt for a theme park, it tell u at the bottom of the article what will be built, and theres no mention of a theme park and i would never see a theme park happen in australia in the next 10 years. All these ruomers are all wrong and you will never see a new theme park, all we will have is new ride at already existing theme park and the only park to do this and has been doing it lately is dreamworld.
Not only do we now have white water world, but the African Safari World is in planning And these two, posted two days apart:
melbourne luna park is a cheaper looking imitation of sydney's luna park. Sydney's looks more themed, classier, better at night has a better front entrance face and i think it has better rides as well.
ive never been to melbournes but sydney was the best park with the big dipper and im pissed how people complained to stop operation of the ride.
i think it would be a biggest shame to throw out the world's first drop ride of it's kind, the space probe. I think its more exciting throught heming and the way the ride appeals, it looks very attractive and i like how they make the ride drop at different times. Theres no other drop ride in the world as unique as space probe. None go under a cover at the top and none have a tv countdown. It deserves a place somewhere, and i would like tosee it at Luna Park Sydney if anywhere.
This one, posted august 7, 2004 (4 months after the park closed):
I went past Wonderland last week and for some reason i saw the guysers on the snowy river rampage go off and when we went passed the highway both the space probe and the demon were operating. Why is that?
Posted 3 months after wonderland closed:
wonderland is not owned by ING until january 2005, so its possible that they couls reopen,
Im still waiting for JP4 -
th best director IMO is steven spielberg with classics as jurassic park and so to be jurassic park 4
Or we will just make it a parking lot for the LG warehouse.....
this is a rumour but its true that part of the land at wonderland must be used for a recreation park, the size of the beach are and the river rampage and bush beats area. it is said that if there will be a recreation park, the beach area and possibly the bush beast may reopen, just a rumour thats all.
Now - after Skyhawk, there was also demon and space probe - but contrary to popular opinion - apparently:
After the sky hawk was made at wonderland (the very last thrill ride) the park started going downhill from there.
(bear in mind - screamscape is a rumor site - I myself have posted rumors to screamscape, and this was something HE HIMSELF posted to screamscape...)
well well well. it seems that the rumour is starting to appear more true by the minute, according to screamscape ity may be true that the demon is going to dreamworld, we can only hope well i hope it does. See for yourself
I think thats enough from now, and you get the idea. Looking back over his posts, I think there are some today that are worse... at least shifty usually - for the most part - prepared his posts, typed correctly etc... and besides, we knew not to trust his crap - others are not so predictable.

As for the TV show Discussed. It was called Supercoasters: The Sheer Thrill. It was made by Indigo Films for the National Geographic Channel in 2006 (Same company also made Megastructures: Ultimate Coaster - Kingda KA for Discovery Channel). It aired on Channel Ten in High Definition on Monday 2/6 at 3:00pm. More info here. If your into torrents then try google, plenty of links. Peter.

Something I just saw and went "hmm" "• Grand Central Train Tour will be closed until October inclusive due to park construction work." (from the annual pass email that movie world sent) Interfering with the train route? does it even run through the construction area...?, or does this mean that it may not be placed between corkscrew and Bermuda? [Edit] looking at sea worlds map now, the attraction looks like it doesn't even have a track? is it just like the train that use to be at Movie World? Zano.

Edited by zane

Hmmmmm, It would seem that the rumored area between corkscrew and Bremunda would be the most logical and space efficient spot to place the new coaster. Mabey they have changed the location or the other more unlikely reason is that seaworld is getting another ride placed somewhere near the train line. Oh and another question when are groundworks expected to begin. Cheers,

does this mean that it may not be placed between corkscrew and Bermuda?
John Menzies definitely told us that it was going between corckscrew and Bermuda. Didn't the train cross across the park just north of sesame street beach? I'm pretty sure it's around the same place.