The Official Jet Rescue construction thread

rappa

No doubling up on any of the launch equipment is needed. The great thing about the latest incarnation of Intamin's hydraulic launch technology is that it's not a centralised system; rather it features centralised pump and accumulator but from there the hydraulic fluids can be pumped more or less anywhere for the actual launch with little else needed by way of infrastructure. It's just a matter of having a system that meets the demand of the two launches.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, a little while after that post I wondered if a simple switching arrangement could be what is being implemented. But, just on that, what sort of reset time do the hydraulic launches have? Once the first one is done I doubt there would be more than 30 secs till it needs to be firing again Is there much of a limit to how far away the plant room can be away from the ride....say not underneath the station causing the floors, handrails, well everything really to buzz. Its only now that I'm considering what possibilities this launching arrangement can bring, previously I had assumed the second launch would be entered at full speed and would have just been a booster, but since it is hydraulic I don't think that;s feasible. Perhaps everyone will get launched out for the start of the ride, but then slowed down for a mid course superman style show section (perhaps this could be where the 'rescue' takes place) before shooting off from the scene to get the animal back to base. They could get a bit creative even...have the second launch hidden further up the site behind corkscrew, with some rocky walls keeping it screened from the off ride guest areas.

From what i have read it shouldn't take longer than 40 seconds for accumilators to be charged. Also hydraulic lines don't have to be of a certain length maximum length. Given that the longer the lines are there is an increased risk of hydraulic fluid leak. Also if they have at some stage an air bubble in the hydraulic lines it will take a lot more fluid to bleed out the air bubble from the hydrualic system.

The pump on Motocoaster is a smaller one than most previous hydraulic coasters as it is designed to run constantly rather than intermittently. By simply using a larger pump and then having enough capacity in the accumulator tanks will satisfy the demand for multiple launches. In this sense it's really like your average household air compressor -- just a matter of having a motor and tank large enough to handle the amount of air required. As far as leakages, of course it'd be an issue where the more piping there is, the greater the risk, but it'd be no different from if it were a longer single launch for instance. I'd think a booster launch is one of the better benefits of this technology over the cable launches, which in turn has been one of the advantages of LIM/LSM to date. Whether this is how they go is another matter, but from a technical standpoint there's no reason it's not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Well I visited Sea World for the first time in years. The New ride construction is coming along REALLY well by the looks of things, there are two bunkers located next to the corkscrew (probably just workers equipment) but its the two of many I expect if it were a coaster, as for what coaster type it is.....still a bit hard to work out at this point, the layout of the support bases on the left hand side (looking from bridge) curves in the shape similar to an S. on the other side its all excavated out in the form of a pretty big/deep rectangle and looks as though they could for a splash down pool or maybe even for the launch track.. But I guess for now we have to let time reveal the big secret that is driving most of us up the wall :P Here Are some Pictures that explain what I've said and also the over view of the fairly large construction site: Construction site pictures (p.s The Fire and Steam isn't working on Bermuda triangle it takes a lot of the thrill out of the ride not having it there :( ) Zane.

I can't say anything more because anything further I know has come from inside work so I can't release the information to the public. Saying don't expect to see it back is from things I've heard in the public realm. Sorry guys.

Ah well, whenever I head down to SW to get another update I'll pop into guest relations and play the confused guest ("hey, why did you turn off the fire before the big drop? That was the best bit!") At the very least I could get some semblance of a reason as to why its gone...Its a reasonable question to ask right?

Edited by Gazza

Ok, so I gave the park a quick visit, again right at the end of the day. This is what I could work out in terms of layout so far. I had intended to bring my sketchpad, but I forgot so I just drew from memory and the pics. post-88-1216810696_thumb.jpg But this one has me wondering. When motocoaster was going up, even at the early stages it was easy to see that it was essentially a figure 8 style layout, just because it had two groups of rows of footers that were in big u turn shapes, and what we got wasn't too far from that. But here, it seems a bit more odd/interesting to say the least..tons of directional changes, very tight turns, and a huge pit with several rows of footers (I guess one launch will be next to the other) PS, anyone else find it funny our last four coasters, at every large park, has been some sort of Intamin launched coaster. At some point I might have to come in the morning, when the light is better, and I can do more than one lap on the monorail. It is hard to take photos at the back end of the site, because of the limitations of being in a moving train, and trying to take photos of stuff on both sides of the track in the window of about 20 secs you have when passing through that section. In hindsight I should sit on the left seat on corkscrew and just look off from there so I can get a better idea of what is happening. EDIT:

Details are sketchy on Sea World's newest roller coaster. The park has yet to formally announce the attraction
I know this has come up a few times, but I feel like bringing it up again. Personally I think the notion that rides should be kept secret for as long as possible to avoid having people put off visits is flawed. Take my own case, had I not heard the early whispers about this ride coming, I would not have added SW to my annual pass. Imagine how many prospective annual pass sales they could pick up in advance if people knew what new ride was coming (other than the construction site they may have noticed during the day) I think a great strategy to drive people to upgrade annual passes would be to dangle the carrot of the promise of being to come back and try a new ride later in the year if they opt to upgrade before leaving the park. Say if somebody saw the new ride at an advanced stage, and decided to revisit as a normal visitor at a later date to come back and try it....good, great, the ride is doing what it is supposed to, and WVTP have gotten $69 off them, plus whatever they spend in the park on the day. However, they could be getting $110 off them now instead if they were to upgrade to a pass on the day, plus locking in future spending within the park on meals etc. Just seems like a no brainer to me. I think the best way to do it would be to put up signs on the construction area with 3D renderings and descriptions about the ride (Same style as what places like Cedar Point, Hersheypark do when they run sites about new rides coming) and right by these signs have advertising for annual passes, with a strong message saying they can look foward to returning and riding, with possibly a small discount to sweeten the deal, or some sort of other sweetener, like the promise of access to a special "first to ride event". Dunno, just seems like our parks have the wrong end of the stick when it comes to marketing upcoming rides...there would have to be a good reason other major parks take less of a secretive approach. Of course, I'm not even getting into the market of people planning/booking their holidays for this year (September break, or even over Christmas if they like to book early) that could very well pick a theme park holiday (Instead of another destination) if a new ride was enough of an incentive. Of course, they don't know, so they are going to go ahead and book their cheap New Zealand trip :P Edited by Gazza

Ok, I'm double posting, but in a MyFun survey I got this morning:

32 streamlined jet skis take riders on a high-speed adrenalin charged journey through rock outcrops and around saltwater pools and into windblown caves after answering the call to join the marine mammal rescue team in yet another animal rescue.
post-88-1216851692_thumb.jpg The names they had to pick from were: -Jet Rescue -Jet Ski Rescue -Marine Extreme -Sea World Surf Rescue -Sea Rescue -Surf Rescue -Marine Rescue Interestingly, December was mentioned as the opening month, not September/October as previously thought. The other thing they are adding (another temp attraction/travelling exhibit) I'll bet this will go where the SW eye was:
Introducing a new shark attraction. Please review the below information and tell us what you think... This new BLOCKBUSTER exhibition will educate, inform, shock, and amaze. The most comprehensive shark exhibition to tour the world. It will challenge our fears, misunderstandings and ignorance of the world's most feared predator - the shark! - Full scale shark models cast from real specimens - Original "Jaws" the movie dive cages, artifacts, and memorabilia - Extensive collection of jaws, teeth, and fossils - High definition, life size, multimedia displays - Restricted area displaying graphic and gruesome shark attack footage
post-88-1216851811_thumb.jpg Edited by Gazza

Hmm, and I can also deduce that the trains wont have any wheels.
LOL! :P Well the myfun description of the ride makes it sound pretty good. I think that there should be an average size section of the ride complete darkness for added thrill possibly in the dark caves.

hmmm..... I can also deduce that this is a worlds first finally from WVTP - one that dreamworld won't get - they also don't have any sort of restraint system. As a matter of fact, it looks like they've somehow managed to mount ten of the Sea World Jet Skis in a train formation onto the track of the corkscrew? even better - it seems some sort of mechanical cloning has been used - as every jet ski appears to be identical... like they've just used the one jetski, and put different kids on them in an excited pose! holy crap - do you reckon that it might be related to this post here? matt crombie's post from months ago that you really should look at before commenting on an ARTIST'S BLOODY RENDERING

That has got to be one of the worst pieces of concept art I've ever seen. WVTP has a very talented art studio, I am baffled as to why that looks so bad. And can I say this for the last time, it is CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as INTAMIN!!!!!!!! So I'm pretty sure if anyone posts again saying it's Vekoma or any other manufacturer or they hope it will be I'm pretty sure I'm going to delete their post out of sheer frustration of their stupidity. Sorry to be so harsh but for goodness sake people, read the thread.