The Official Jet Rescue construction thread

rappa

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joz, thanks for the update. Some things I spotted: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas...73-1_09_08.html To the left of the wooden shipping container you can see the rails that the transfer track moves along. http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas...74-1_09_08.html About halfway down the image, but on the far right hand side you can see an aqua coloured thing wrapped in plastic...is that part of the train? It looks suspiciously jet ski shaped. http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas...73-1_09_08.html Someone needs to pick up that bottle, its been there for a few days now :P I'm interested to see what happens with those curved segments, are they hills as you said, or heavily banked turns? Also, I don't know what sort of camera you have, but is it possible to go for a ride on the flume to get some pics further up the site from that side?

Edited by Gazza

I think this tyre has been there longer. http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas...76-1_09_08.html On another note, there has been a broken rake on the island at Dreamworld for years. The next time you take a ride on the boat at Dreamworld, have a look for it and also its friend the pool leaf cleaner.

:huh: They mentioned me? How does that work? Did they quote me from the forums? Please, go into more details. Edit: Found the article: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/0...coast-news.html
Mummy, Kamikaze in theme park fight September 13th, 2008 THE Gold Coast theme parks are getting ready to slug it out for the spring school holidays with new rides and attractions to lure back visitors after a tough 12 months. Dreamworld has just opened scare attraction The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Live and Wet 'n' Wild is putting the finishing touches to Kamikaze, which will open later this month. Also in the pipeline is a new rollercoaster for Sea World, believed to be a jet-ski version of Dreamworld's Mick Doohan's Motocoaster -- and a new show for Movie World opening in December, to replace the Police Academy Stunt Show. Gold Coast theme parks Photo gallery: Theme park animals Have your say on the feedback form below The theme parks are hoping the new rides and attractions will kick start the turnstiles after a lacklustre year due to the wetter than usual summer and economic factors such as higher fuel prices and interest rate rises which have all kept many visitors at bay. Attendances at Sea World, Movie World, Wet 'n' Wild and Australian Outback Spectacular were down 200,000 over the previous year from 4.2 million in 2007 to 4 million. Warner Village Theme Parks CEO John Menzies said re-investing in new rides and attractions was vital to keep customers coming back. "The theme park is like a great theatre but without new movies no one will want to come back," he said. Wet 'n' Wild is not just building new rides. It has lodged a development application to build a new $70 million water park on the Sunshine Coast. But long before that opens Kamikaze will, becoming Wet 'n' Wild's 30th ride. Mr Menzies said the new attraction would be an exciting ride for the whole family. "It's a fantastic ride ... it's a very large tube -- a two person tube with head rests -- and you go off the top of a very steep incline and then the tube oscillates about five times before you end up in the bottom," he said. "It's definitely not a ride for the fainthearted ... It's ride if you dare." "We expect this attraction to be a big hit with our thrill-seeking teens and adventurous families." While he was happy to talk about Wet 'n' Wild's new attraction, Mr Menzies was remaining tight-lipped about Sea World's latest offering, only saying: "We have an exciting new attraction planned for Sea World which will be great fun for families and will open in time for Christmas." Rollercoaster internet forums have been alive with chatter about the new ride as fans post photos of construction that appears to be taking place in vacant land between the Bermuda Triangle and The Corkscrew. "It's said to be a coaster with two launches, and guests ride on jet-ski shaped vehicles," posted Gazza on themeparkphotography .com. "It is also said to have an animal rescue theme, but little else is known."
Why are they quoting me for, what do I know? I was just putting up what I have heard from other sources. Ian rang me about 5 mins ago, and was just happy his site got mentioned. Edited by Gazza

Well, i'm not saying Ian had anything to do with it, but WVTP management are obviously happy with Ian's work, and felt it worthwhile mentioning it to the reporter. My guess is management reviewed the information they liked, and supplied the quotes to the papers. I'm not trying to "pooh pooh" the fact the site got mentioned, and gazza got a quote in, but thats the media for you.

WVTP won't have had anything to do with the quote -- it's clear from how it's written that the reporter has gone fishing for more information with a few Google searches after Menzies declined to elaborate. It seems to be an increasingly common practice in journalism -- and not surprisingly, because it's an easy way to quickly get quotes without having to do any of the legwork normally required.

Hey, at least they didn't quote wikipedia. Again, the fact that Menzies didn't say much about it suggests that it was the reporter who did the searching. I mean if WVTP wanted to get the information about the new ride out there, they would have put it out there themselves. Still, they can now at least boast that the buzz for new ride was big news :)

Just an Idea that I thought would have been cool. The could have built a temporary dam near the bridge, Then dug the area where the jet ski coaster would be so the pillars are below the water level of the lake. Once the coaster is finished, the could remove the dam and flood the coaster area with water, Adding the the coaster experience of being over water when on a jet ski. It would also make the bridge to corkscrew serve a purpose, cause it looks stupid having a bridge over a tiny bit of water. Just an opinion.

I'm not even sure you would need to go as far as building a dam, pouring footings, and then flooding. I'm not an engineer, but I'm sure they could just apply conventional techniques for building in bodies of water. I mean, when they built this coaster they just put in footings without doing any draining. http://www.rcdb.com/ig4005.htm?picture=2 http://www.rcdb.com/ig4005.htm?picture=12 I think a possible way to incorporate water would just be to dig a bunch of manmade ponds at strategic places in the ride area.

^^ Behemoth. Ahh. That's one sweet coaster. My #2 I'd say, behind Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE. I really hope they surprise us and pull an incorporation with water out of their hat. They're being pretty tight-lipped so who knows. Seem to have their heads around offering us something that beats Motocoaster by a very comfortable margin from the impression I get.

Edited by Gold Coaster

Thanks Joz. It doesn't seem that there is much difference in the angle of the banking compared MDMC, although the transition seems shorter. I noticed there seems to be supports very low to the ground (in the first pic), perhaps there might be a water feature around the banked turn? This is going to create an awesome illusion of speed. Can't wait for the finished product.