Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

mickey_079

Ok so I'm back from my trip (which is great). Now I have one question (or maybe more) about the tower of terror in California Adventure and Hollywood Studios. So how does how does it work? Going up and down. At first I though cable... but how does it work when the elevators move back and forth (mainly at Hollywood studios).. At hollywood studios there are 3 lifts but only 2 shafts. See its all a great mystery to me (and a great ride). I would be so thankful if someone could tell me how it works. And the special effects... Thanks

What? That video answer's the question you asked. You wanted to know how the Vehicles do the horizontal movement, and it explains it. Your comment was frankly rude and uncalled for, and I suggest if you have a personal problem with me, you talk to me in private about it and not bring it onto the forums.

The link you sent me re-redirected me to completely different video no matter how many times i clicked it. I was completely polite in what I said by thanking you for your contribution. I don't understand how it was uncalled for, it wasn't offensive nor was it rude. The reply is exactly what it says, no the video you sent had nothing to do with what I was talking about or the ride, I'm sorry for telling you that. If your getting offended and think I have a problem with you then you must be guilty of something or just want to start something with me. I suggest if you think I have problem you, you take your own advice and say something to me in private. Thank you. Again, I apologize for my computer redirecting me to a completely different video all the time. Anyway back to the ride, if anyone knows then thank you.

I've clicked the link several times, and every time it links me to a Modern Marvels video, which after about a minute talks about the horizontal movement of the cars. Basically it's saying that sensors located on the floor and underneath the cars tell them which way to move. They also mentioned that they can move backwards, forwards and even side to side.

I've clicked the link several times, and every time it links me to a Modern Marvels video, which after about a minute talks about the horizontal movement of the cars. Basically it's saying that sensors located on the floor and underneath the cars tell them which way to move. They also mentioned that they can move backwards, forwards and even side to side.
Ok thank you dan. I you tubed modern marvels after you mentioned it and found what I think you are talking about. Yes that part helps me alot, again thank you.

Thanks for the reply Zane. So basically its just like a hydraulic ram in the shafts? One more thing however... it says "the elevator pulls on to a platform and locks into place. The platform is hanging by cables in a pully system", yes ok I understand it locks onto a platform, how ever before in the shaft if you look at the roof of the lift its mesh and you can see right through. Why is it that when in the shaft you can still see past the ceiling of the lift and see the cables attached to the lift itself. It says its a platform, that site says nothing about some being above the lift itself. Its still fairly confusing. A great bit of engineering :D

^Wait, so do you like them, or are you being sarcastic? Re the original post, each 'lif't vehicle (eg the thing you ride around in) has its own wheels and can trundle along independently, it works just like the Big Red Car ride at DW, with a wire in the floor it can track to guide it into place (Eg when it is reversing out of the loading area, when it is driving through the 5th dimension room on the orlando version to get to the main freefall shafts, and when it is parking at the unload at the end). On the vertical freefall parts the vehicle just drives into a bigger lift cabin (I guess it doesn't have a roof), then the cabin is pulled up and down by cables at both the top and the bottom of the cabin (2 motors) so in a sense it is a bit like a spaceshot in that it can be hauled upwards and pulled downwards faster than gravity. When it has done its thing in the freefall shaft, it reverses out of the cabin and parks at the unload.