stabbing at Sydney's Royal Easter Show

Gabs

Goodness, just imagine... thousands of adults and children enjoying their Friday night at the Easter Show... to witness a stabbing at 8:30pm. Has it really come to this? I think it is disgusting. No wonder people complain of their fear walking around at night - because things like this happen. I hope these delinquents are charged and taught a very harsh lesson. Here is the story: F_53494_2_2_m_615.jpg "An 18-year-old show worker is in a stable condition after an alleged stabbing at the Royal Easter Show overnight. The carnival ride operator is believed to have become involved in an argument with several members of the public. Witnesses say a group of men seeking a refund started a fight with the ride manager before stabbing him in the stomach and ribs. Police then arrested an 18 and 17-year- old male over the incident but have released them pending further inquiries. Nikki Woloszuk from Police Headquarters says the injured man is recovering in hospital. “The victim, an 18-year-old man, was taken to Westmead Hospital in a stable condition where he was treated for his injuries.” “The man and youth were taken to Auburn police station however they were interviewed and released pending further inquiries.”' Source: http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/0..._at_Easter_show

Edited by Gabs

Actually you are... you may not want to and that's fine but as an independent citizen not affiliated in any way or covered by an agreement with the ride operator you are free to say what you like. You are also not crossing any legal ground as you would simply be naming the location that something happened not implicating anyone's liability over the incident. Of course I'm not asking you to tell us anything you don't want to, just know you are safe if you do so. It's very different if say it was something that happened at work because we have very strict policies on disclosure, but that's not the case here.

Ah okay, I won't disclose who was involved. But the incident was on Space Roller. I wasn't 100% on what was allowed to be said or not in regards to the incident. Cheers for that Dj. I wish the person involved a speedy recovery. And I hope that the people who did this get punished appropriately for there actions! Chances are the people were half drunk, brought a ticket and were refused entry. Despite there would have been signage saying "Riders will be refused entry if Intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. NO refunds" * Now... That is not what actually happened (as far as we know) but it could have just been one of the many scenarios.

A TEENAGER is in hospital after allegedly being knifed by an unhappy customer at Sydney's Royal Easter Show. The 19-year-old was manning the Space Roller ride when he was stabbed about 8.30pm on Friday. The police events co-ordinator at the Show, Inspector Patrick Wunsch, said a dispute broke out when several patrons demanded their ticket money back. "A group of people went on the ride then wanted their money back because one of them got sick," Inspector Wunsch said yesterday. "The verbal altercation became physical and the ride attendant was stabbed." He said police apprehended two men trying to exit the show a short time later. A knife was also recovered. The teen was taken to Westmead Hospital, where he was in a stable condition. An 18-year-old and a 17-year-old, both from Auburn, were questioned by police then released, pending further inquiries. Inspector Wunsch said the show's security was not to blame for the incident. "Security conducts random bag searches but in this instance the weapon was well concealed on the person," he said. "I have been working at the show for the past three years and this is the first time something like this has happened. http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/carniv...6207492944.html

I don't think anyone can say for certain who's in the right or wrong here. For all anyone knows, the attendant attacked first, prompting the stabbing in defence. At any rate though I don't think that those involved are exactly the cream of the crop. It does raise some questions about attitudes within the travelling amusement industry. At the end of the day, this guy got stabbed over a no refund policy. Whatever went down, it seems that this attendant felt that the few dollars were more important than his own safety or that of the complaining customers. It's a situation that could have been averted for the sake of a few dollars but it seems greed won in the end -- whether that of the customers, or that of the company operating the ride.

Dunno. It's a bit rich for a whole group of people to try and get a refund for just one of them becoming sick, when it is after all a spin and spew ride. To me they sound like the sort of bogans you see in shops or fast food joints making a big fuss and demanding free stuff for small inconveniences (rather than allowing it to be offered) and firmly believe they can be unreasonable as they want because "the customer is always right". It could all come down to how the situation was handled though, I mean if you are in a situation like that where you are outnumbered it would be wise to try and diffuse the situation, but I'm guessing the victim didn't really do that. Still, I'm inclined to say the group was in the wrong....there isn't ever justification for using a knife in what amounts to a trivial situation.

But in saying that Richard this ride op. was more than likely just doing his job and doing what he was told. I know at my work place that only some items have a refund policy, if I'm not allowed to refund I won't. The ride op. would have had NO idea about a weapon. It was a dog thing to do (stabbing) and the people who did it do deserve punishment.

Dunno. It's a bit rich for a whole group of people to try and get a refund for just one of them becoming sick, when it is after all a spin and spew ride. To me they sound like the sort of bogans you see in shops or fast food joints making a big fuss and demanding free stuff for small inconveniences (rather than allowing it to be offered) and firmly believe they can be unreasonable as they want because "the customer is always right". It could all come down to how the situation was handled though, I mean if you are in a situation like that where you are outnumbered it would be wise to try and diffuse the situation, but I'm guessing the victim didn't really do that. Still, I'm inclined to say the group was in the wrong....there isn't ever justification for using a knife in what amounts to a trivial situation.
Having grown up in Sydney particularly the southwest, I can assure you it wasnt bogans. I know exactly what type of people act like this and anyone else who grew up around the area will know who aswell. I wont say anymore as I dont want this thread closed. I remember an incident last year where a certain group ran wild through the carnival too. Unfortunately the police are powerless/useless.

I have been bashed numerous times in Sydney. 10 on 1 gutless bashings in places the police refuse to go into. I have also witnessed on many occasions police getting outnumbered and assaulted and running for their lives. One occassion I saw a gang surround a police car kicking the sides of the car and smashing the back window in with a crowbar. There was 3 officers in the back showered with glass and the look of sheer terror in their faces as they sped away will stay in my memory for the rest of my life... Trust me these punks will get away with it

Remember police aren't super humans. OC spray lasts for 40 seconds, the guns aren't allowed to be fire unless they have fire arms pointing at them. Police are taught to flee when there lives become in danger. Police have a duty to go out to all calls, no some don't, but when you get talented police they won't back down. Anyway, lets get back on topic. It was weak what they did and they deserve harshest punishment.

My point all along was that no one knows if these two individuals started the altercation; there's absolutely nothing in the articles thus far to suggest either party is to blame here. Based on the articles, the attendant is just as likely to have initiated the physical attack; there's nothing to suggest either way what happened. The fact that they were released without charge to me hints that it's not as clear-cut as an unprovoked attack by these two thugs when they didn't get their way. Don't get me wrong, they were carrying around a concealed weapon... that says it all about their character. I'm not condemning or defending anyone here; just looking at the few facts rather than joining the witch hunt.

Well I don't think 'who is responsible' for the altercation comes into it. These people attended a family orientated fun event with a concealed weapon. In my opinion they should be locked up just for that, what possibly justification can you have for carrying such an item to the show? What I think is sad is at the end of the day the Royal is a bloody agricultural show and rides are just a side entertainment offering, I think it's a shame that these type of people are there at all when to them it's just may as well be a local carnival.

Having worked in Auburn for 3 years and only got out of there recently to sunny QLD- I also can guarantee what sort of person did this, race specific even. But we don't need to go there. That's one (major) reason I left Sydney, Sydney has been ruined by these morons and its only a matter of time before the rest of this country gets assaulted by them.

Sorry Mickey, it's to late Sydney already is a bad town, well some suburbs and areas anyway, and having Police Officers in your family you should know that. I know from professional experience that there are some areas that the Police won't go into unless there are several cars going in at the same time. Ninja, you obviously attract trouble (or you have a big mouth that doesn't know when to close) if you have been bashed numerous times and as Mickey said Police are humans as well, they don't want to go into situations where they are putting themselves in danger. The sooner all Officers are equipped with tasers the better. Anyway back onto the subject, you can guarantee that the bag searches and front gate checks next year will be much more stringent. "The Bus is now leaving for Stab Creek, Tasmania"

Ninja, you obviously attract trouble (or you have a big mouth that doesn't know when to close) if you have been bashed numerous times and as Mickey said Police are humans as well, they don't want to go into situations where they are putting themselves in danger. The sooner all Officers are equipped with tasers the better.
Thats the thing Bussy, these were totally random, unprovoked attacks. Once I was walking through Cronulla and a carload of guys pulled up next to my girlfriend and I. Next thing I know I'm on the ground getting kicked in the face while my Gf takes a club-lock blow to the back. They took all my belongings and sped off. This was around 9.30pm with quite a few people around. There were witnesses who got the licence plate number and had good descriptions of the men who were of 'middle eastern appearance'. The police did nothing. I rang them every few days to see if anything had progressed and they kept giving me the run around saying they will be looking into it shortly. A few weeks later not far from there a friend of mine got the same treatment though this time he was lucky to be alive. They broke his jaw in 8 places and left him for dead in a garden. Once again witnesses, good descriptions - no action from the police. Thats when I decided to get out of Sydney and move to the Gold Coast. In the 7 years of living here I have not once been attacked or even witnessed any trouble and I live right in the heart of Surfers Paradise which apparently if you listen to the born and bred locals, is comparable to South Central L.A.!!! I have seen a few punch ups here and there but they are usually just 2 guys fighting over a girl or something stupid like that. There doesn't seem to be many, if any of those random gang attacks that are common in Sydney. I can walk home at 3am and feel safe not having to look over my shoulder constantly. Back on topic - Any updates on this case?

similar story here, moved up here to get away from those morons in Sydney and haven't had a problem since, not that I ever had any real incidents in Sydney but they were close enough to home to make me get the hell away from there. I lived n Auburn/Lidcombe but I know when to keep my mouth shut and when nto to make eye contact with certain people. Because just looking at someone for 0.01 of a second is enough reason (in these idiots mind's) to get you bashed half to death down there... Not Fun. and it is funny how the Gold Coast locals think it is SO bad up here LOL Unless you have a mouth on you and/or are looking for a trouble you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever up here :)

Edited by billyb67

I have been watching this topic closely, the person who was stabbed is doing ok at this stage( no complications as yet). We know whos fault it was when a group of 6-8 men come and speak like pigs to you for a refund when you can't give them one.( Sydney show being central ticketing which means the showmen have no control over the refunds cause they don't handle the money). Than when they jump in a control room while a ride is opperating and try to stab some one I think that is there fault. Sydney, sorry certain parts of Sydney are bad places for certain races they were causeing trouble for the whole show and previous ones. Cheers OZshowkid