African Safari World: New Village Theme Park

rosscoe

It comes down to the type of animal really, so I would imagine some logic would be used in their placement. I mean, the people behind this would have to have more idea than someone who is going to clutch at anything that is possibly negative to say because they just don't like the idea of this project in general. Clearly animals like giraffes wouldn't cope well being close to rides, but crocodiles on the other hand.... bgt13.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone whos been to tiger island at dreamworld (and im imagining a vast majority of people on this site have been there) would notice how close to the tigers the tower of terror is... id say from where the tigers actually are to the station is less than 50 metres. i noticed when i was there last month that when the car launches and returns it makes a fair amount of noise. and you can definately hear that if your a tiger. and looking at those tigers they just dont care.... so obviously the noise of that isnt affecting them. you can also hear a few of the other rides on tiger island. but really the tigers dont seem to be affected by it.
Well, this many years after install you would expect the tigers not to mind... But remember that when the tigers are not in the public viewing area, they are in their enclosures "behind" tiger island, which is conveniently muted by trees, walls etc. The launch sounds are not the main cause of the noise from ToT either. That comes from the other end of the track. Also, its probably 50 metres to the public side of the moat. It is closer to 100-150 metre range to where the tigers spend most of their time. There is also a lot of trees, buildings etc that shield most of tiger island from the direct sound of the ToT station bay - WHICH is a further 20 or so metres ahead of where the building ends - the rollback area is the closest, and (i was going to say rarely) used only when the ride fails. These are also tigers that are trained. They do tricks on command. They're like circus animals with a conservation fund. Zoo Animals are less likely to be trained and used to humans and mechanical behaviours than the tigers on tiger island.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...17-2862,00.html Another group is protesting the park, again claiming noise will disturb the animals (in other news, the evil noisy DW has had 3 tiger cubs born a few days ago) and also claiming light will disturb the animals (WVTP cant even get their dry GC parks open on a regular basis at night, what makes them think theyd do it in Melbourne) However, I have another rant, not related to that story though. A line I have commonly heard against this park is "This park will teach our children that animals are just for entertainment" That line really makes me annoyed, Adults are so overprotective and think everything is potentially damaging for children, they can't have any fun any more and its the reason the current generation of kids is so messed up. Really, what effect is it going to have in the long term? Even if it did have some sort of negative impact, its not going to have a long term impact because as kids mature, they start to build their own views on animals anyway. Its not as if a 7 year old will visit, be brainwashed, and then go on a rampage of animal exploitation. People do have hindsight with respect to their childhood. (And I'm not even mentioning the positive educational impacts this park could have) I mean, take vegetarians/vegans, kids don't really start off vegetarian at a young age, its an choice they make later in life when they have had a chance to form their own opinions. And who remember this clip:
I suppose that would teach kids that animals are for entertainment.

Something else interesting I found: http://www.navcon.com/CaseStudy_10.htm It's the dB level diagrams of Kraken. The loudest areas of this ride are directly under it, and range from 75-80dB (But of course, the public don't have access) This is as loud as a car (7.5m away). The rest of the park ranges from 50-65 (with a few small pockets above that) This is as loud as human conversation. So logically, if you build any coasters on the edge of the park, noise really won't be an issue. What is interesting though, is that the zoo already has the zoo safari tours in buses (AK has them too) and as we know on these tours, you get pretty close to the animals. Now buses are a bit louder than cars (I'm not sure of the exact amount), but if we take it as 80 dB, we can conclude that the animals are already regularly being exposed to noise levels equivalent to that of the areas directly under a roller coaster.

I use to live around the corner from that zoo. My friends proberly gonna lose her job there as a tour guide once it changes, Spewing, its just gonna be weird seeing massive roller coasters etc in the skyline from werribee, Most people who live there know that its dead flat. Overall, it could be a success but i'm leaning towards a no. Mainly because its gonna confuse tourists on which parks to visit weather in Werribee or Gold Coast. But still it coudl succeed

^I'm not quite following. Thats a bit like saying having Disneyland, and Walt Disney World is confusing (Or any other country for that matter which has theme parks in more than one place) Plus, not matter where tourists go, WVTP is still getting their money (Unless they only go to Dreamworld) Personally, I'm predicting it will be mostly bored locals who have for years been neglected theme park wise will be the main patrons. The international and interstate visitors I think won't really be doing trips to Melbourne for the sake of this place, but rather just sticking around a day longer to 'check it out' or for 'something to do'.

my friends proberly gonna lose her job there as a tour guide once it changes,
I'd hope not...thought I remembered reading at some point that they wanted to work with the existing owners and staff anyway. It'd be ridiculous of them to sack the staff anyway, if you've got perfectly competent people that know the zoo and its animals then why wouldn't you work to retain them?
Most people who live there know that its dead flat.
But some don't?

My friends proberly gonna lose her job there as a tour guide once it changes
I highly doubt it. WVTP treat their staff better than any other company I've worked for. There will certainly be more jobs created (Food and Beverage, Retail, Ride Attendants and Cleaners etc) to cover the new areas. But I can't imagine they would fire already qualified staff who have first hand knowledge of the zoo. It would be pointless having to train new people. If anything those already there may be promoted to senior level, so that they can train the new employees.