Motocoaster Queue Revamp?

Upon going to Dreamworld a couple of days ago, and riding the Mick Doohan Motocoaster for the second time, I noticed a problem. It's a problem I, along with many other people I've talked to, are having to face every single time we go in the queue. The problem is..exactly that. The queue. Dreamworld have even admitted the queue, at peak times, is not catering for the number of people wanting to get on the ride. That's the problem though, the queue is enormous. For a new attraction, it's comparable to the success of The Claw - in fact, it may even be faring better than the Claw's opening year. A queue the size of the one on the Motocoaster would be assumably large enough to cater for all these people - apparently not. Now, in conversation with a Dreamworld staff member operating the gates to enter the ride, I posed a question to him - do you think this queue's a bit hard to understand? His answer was yes. At least 50 times in a normal day, Motocoaster operators have to guide people in the right direction in the queue and have to explain to people what each area means and what line is for what. It's just not an easy queue to navigate around. Add to that the number of people standing in front of, and behind, you, and you have a very difficult queue line. So my question is this: should the Motocaoaster queue be at least revised? Anyone who has been on the ride should know that it is quite confusing. Along with the Tower of Terror, I would say the Motocoaster's queue is ridiculously long and (unlike the Tower of Terror) hard to understand. Obviously, because of the ride's different choices as far as different seats and heights restrictions etc., I can understand the need for a more complex queue. What I'm saying is that I don't think Dreamworld have constructed a 'simple' complex queue. Thoughts?

Hang on... what's the issue exactly? Queue length and people getting confused are two totally separate issues. Operators assisting people through the queue 50 times a day isn't that much considering the average theme park goer checks their brain at the gate. Most reports here seem to suggest that whether they're running both trains or just one, dispatches are few and far between. With the ride's listed theorhetical capacity (750pph), it should be handling a full queue with ease. If it's not then the issue most definitely points to operational inefficiencies, not queue design issues.

In this case, queue length and people getting confused are not two different issues, in fact in the context of the whole post, they merge to work with each other. You need to read the wording of the post and understand how the two link in the context of the topic. Secondly, you say that 50 counts of helping people through a queue isn't much - for one ride, that is a lot. If you were to line up for a ride like say, The Claw, there's really no issue or confusion with the queue: where it goes, how to exit, how to enter the ride etc., are all very easy to understand. The Motocoaster doesn't have that 'ease of use' when it comes to the queue. Thirdly, in no manner have I made any reference to dispatchment and times between each. Sure, the ride can handle large numbers. I have never denied that or said otherwise. I am making reference to the difficulty of navigating your way through the queue and the numbers of people in the queue at any time. All I have stated is that there are many people in the queue - referring to the popularity of the ride (not the lack of catering for that many people.) You have misread my post and I would like to again pose the original question - does anyone feel it is necessary to reconsider the Motocoaster's queue design?

Edited by ThemeParksAustralia

Dreamworld have even admitted the queue, at peak times, is not catering for the number of people wanting to get on the ride. That's the problem though, the queue is enormous. For a new attraction, it's comparable to the success of The Claw - in fact, it may even be faring better than the Claw's opening year. A queue the size of the one on the Motocoaster would be assumably large enough to cater for all these people - apparently not.
I'd personally say half the problem is that trains spend too long stacking in the unloading station (thats if they are making the effort to run two trains) hence the queues not moving fast enough. But if its that much of a problem, why cant they set up those removable posts that can be used to set up queue areas. I know there is a proper term for these, but basically there are metal things in the ground the posts slip into, and then the posts are connected with clip on chains, and the posts and chains are kept in a kit that cast members can use to quickly add queuing space if it is needed. Memorably, I saw this in action when I was at Disneyland 5 days after Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage opened...The masive 4 hour queues were kept in control by setting up a giant overflow queue that extended onto the main paths, and stretched all the way around the lagoon in a giant switchback. post-88-1207818366_thumb.jpg As you can see, the system is cheap and lightweight, and all Disney rides have the metal things in the ground out the front, so should a particular ride experience a high demand all of a sudden, cast members can just run in and make queue space in a matter of minutes.
Secondly, you say that 50 counts of helping people through a queue isn't much - for one ride, that is a lot. If you were to line up for a ride like say, The Claw, there's really no issue or confusion with the queue: where it goes, how to exit, how to enter the ride etc., are all very easy to understand. The Motocoaster doesn't have that 'ease of use' when it comes to the queue.
If the ride can take 700 pph and runs for 8 hours a day, it means it can process 5600 a day, so if 50 people ask a question that is just 0.89% of the total riders needing help. Of course its going to be worse than the Claw because the claw offers the same experience (in the eyes of the public) no matter where you sit, Motocoaster on the other hand offers more options for riders.
It's just not an easy queue to navigate around.
It pretty easy for me, you just keep walking and walking, keeping the handrails either side of you. It might zig zag around a bit, but if you keep on following it you get to where you need to be.
Add to that the number of people standing in front of, and behind, you, and you have a very difficult queue line.
Oh well bugger me, I would have never guessed you get surrounded by people in a big line. In any case, the queue just inches along anway, so you just follow the person in front of you.
Anyone who has been on the ride should know that it is quite confusing.
No its not, you line up, and then when it comes close to when you board, you pick from one of 3 choices? How is that complicated? I have been on many rides where this is the case (In particular the Busch and Universal Parks) If people are getting confused, maybe just install new signs that better clarify what each queue is for.
n this case, queue length and people getting confused are not two different issues
Yes they are entirely separate issues. Confusion just relates to the adequacy of signage. Queue length just depends on how quickly the ride can churn through people. Are you trying to tell me confused people make lines longer :blink: I don't really have a problem with the queue setup, it was clear for me where i needed to go when i arrived in the station. The only thing I would have done differently is had the 'normal' rows split off into loading chutes, rather than having an op manning a gate, and then sending people to each row. I would have also kept the SRQ separate to the sidecar one, and had it just feeding into the back of the station. But, as it is, it still works. The main issue is how they are running the ride itself. Dont know why they bothered with separate stations anyway, they are never ready to load, even when the empty train rolls foward. Edited by Gazza

I understood full well what you were getting at with your post. In regards to the ride's capacity, you said that the queue is incapable of handling the number of people wanting to ride; that it is physically not big enough to handle these numbers. I merely suggested that if this is a problem then the queue's design isn't the problem. The problem would lie in the ride's operations as a ride of the theorhetical capacity of Motocoaster should have no problems handling the sort of numbers that it attracts. The fundamental flaw in your argument is that obviously can't make a direct comparison to one ride which has a single queue that starts and ends (e.g. The Claw) and one which splits into several different areas (Motocoaster). In the course of a single day, when the ride would see upwards of 3,000 riders (over 5,000 if we take the 750pph figure). If 50 of them need the queue explained, that is somehow unreasonable? Tell you what, ask the average ride operator how many times they need to explain how the harnesses work, how often they need to ask riders to remove loose objects, or how often they are asked if a certain ride is suitable for person x and then tell me that 50 people needing a queue explained to them is unreasonable. Are these purported problems so bad that trains are dispatching with seats empty because these few riders delay the queue enough to mean queuers aren't reaching the load station in time? This seems to be a gripe based on getting stuck behind stupid people in the queue rather than a genuine problem with anything.

hmm, I thought the queue line was pretty simple to navigate. If your having trouble following someone in front of you then I would probably just stick to the Nickelodeon area where queues can be tough to find ;) And in agreement with Richard, people do tend to check their brains in at a theme parks front gate which is an acceptable holiday habit I guess. However I really wish that people wouldn't also check them in before writing forum posts! :P How about we debate why chewing gum should be banned in theme parks? Or about the number of times a ride operator on the Captain Sturt gets asked "Oh.. don't you have the bush ranger show anymore?" Funny stuff... TMB

After just coming back from Dreamworld today, I must say I had some pretty low expectations for the ride and all, but I must say I was actually impressed at most aspects of the ride. Anyway, the queue line for Motorcoaster isn't a bad line, and can probably hold a lot of people. I like how you have 3 options of queuing (Side Car, General, and Pole Position), however my only gripe with this system was that the options for the queue wasn't available until you reached station level, which left a whole line bunch of switchbacks to get through before you got to choose where you want to ride. And because of this, I noticed on occasion that the General and Pole Position lines were filled, however sidecar's line was empty, meaning the operators were sending out 2 bikes and 2 sidecars empty. But in summary, I don't think they failed with the queue line for this ride, if there was any minor adjustments which could be made to it though, it would being able to access your choice of ride's queue without getting stuck in a huge line, especially when the line you want is empty.

But in summary, I don't think they failed with the queue line for this ride, if there was any minor adjustments which could be made to it though, it would being able to access your choice of ride's queue without getting stuck in a huge line, especially when the line you want is empty.
It would be a great adjustment. To their credit though, In peak periods they use one of the extra deck-hands to move up and down the queue line, grabbing single riders and people for the side cars. That and using the two trains makes for a much shorter queue time. Edited by Lotl_90

I can understand why the switchbacks aren't very wide, but if the queue line was slightly wider, it would allow for people to get past those waiting to get into their queue (such as the Sidecar and Singles). Apart from that, I really think Dreamworld have done a decent job with this ride. It looks good, the ride is actually pretty good (come-on, admit it), and the ride is extremely comfortable. I must say, I think we actually have a winner here. Those who haven't checked it out, check it out.

Apart from that, I really think Dreamworld have done a decent job with this ride. It looks good, the ride is actually pretty good (come-on, admit it), and the ride is extremely comfortable. I must say, I think we actually have a winner here.
Sorry, but for me it just had no highlights to it, and a repetitive layout with all turns and no air, and was forceless. It does achieve a smooth, wind through your hair type feeling, but other than that it just didn't stand out for me at all. Don't get me wrong, If you like it that's fine, and its a win for you, but for me it didn't really fill any of my criteria for what i feel makes a good coaster.

• 5 months later...