No Limits Help

cadboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember, one station segment (and one brake segment for that matter) represents a block. The number of blocks must exceed the number of trains by one (so running 3 trains would need at least 4 blocks) If you want a station capable of holding several trains, then you need to have multiple station segments, each long enough to fit the train in fully. So really, a multi train station is just a bunch of stations in a row.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I am currently making a wooden coaster in No limits. I am using auto supports but the only problem is when a piece of track goes under supports the are not removed but kept in place. The first time I put them in the suports were removed in the places that needed to be but after I cleared the suports to keep building then put them in again to view in 3D with supports none were removed. Edit: Don't worry seems to be working again, just had to change track type.

Edited by cadboy

In the auto supports menu make sure you select "collision detection" down the bottom. When you generate the final supports it will automatically not place any beams in the way of the path of the track. However, if you are generating "Preview" supports, then it doesn't bother with collision detection.

Does anyone know of a program that is free to download off the internet that will record ingame movies easily? Cheers, Edit: Ok below is My first Wooden No Limits coaster, please rate and give constuctive critism. Thanks and enjoy, Length: 1696.03 Max Speed: 103 kmph Hieght: 49m approx

aaaaaaa.zip

Edited by cadboy

You could download a trial version of FRAPS - it will record anything on-screen, but the trial is limited to 30sec lots. If you have NoLimits 1.7 or 1.71, it includes an AVI recorder. You simply press the "0" button on your keypad (NOT the one above the letters) to Start/Stop the recording. Try running it in a window of the lowest size, and recording that. You'll end up with a better quality video that way.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I am currently constructing a B&M hyper inspired by Nitro and I have now completed the track however, I want to disconect a section just after the midcourse brakes to add in another airtime hill. To do this I need to move the small purple cone where the coaster always starts from. Does anyone know how to do this. Also for those who have checked out my wooden coaster two posts above, what do you think. Cheers, and thanks.

Edited by cadboy

Highlight the node you want to have the purple cone on, then from the top menu go Edit>Set First. Edit: OK, I had a look at "aaaaaaa" (aaaaah?) and these were my thoughts.... -Interesting twister layout, with a lot of head choppers -Generally smooth But I think these aspects could be improved. -The layout was massive, but there was only one part that I could see where the vertical Gs dropped below zero. In other words, a ride this big needs more airtime. -There were two stations, and two midcourse brake runs, but you were only running 2 trains. That configuration would support 4 trains, otherwhise, get rid of the brake runs because they slow the ride down needlessly. -Don't have the other random brake runs in the middle of the ride that slow the train down...They kill the excitement, and it is better to just design for the speed the ride is going at. Also try to avoid curved/twisted brake runs. -The layout does look big and impressive, but the turns are massive, so the train speeds around them, but the g forces are a bit weak.

Edited by Gazza

My advice would be: -Bank your turns properly. -Make the transitions into the airtime hills less sharp so there isn't such a shock of g forces -Make the turns smoother, and more rounded. The the main thing is to look at the G force gauges in the simulator. If they are reading red it means the forces are dangerously high, if they are yellow it means they would be a bit uncomfortable.

I had a go at re-building "Steel Force" of yours. Here's what I came up with. Edit: Just took a quick look at "Light Jump", and I have a few tips for you: 1. Use the "I" key to make sections of your track completely straight. Things like stations and lift hills should be kept directly straight, so when placing your vertex points, check that the X is 0.0 or the Z is 0.0, depending on which direction you're going. 2. Use Continuous Rolling. Parts such as the corkscrew which follows your Cobra Roll, the approach looks scary. Use continuous rolling to help smooth out your banking. Also, you don't have to enter an element at 0 degrees banking, you can give it a head start. 3. Slope your Brake Runs. When you're placing brake runs in, it's usually a good idea to place them on a downward slope. This means that when an E-Stop occurs (press F12), the train is able to keep rolling just from the force of gravity. 4. Use HeartLine. From the Display menu, select "Show Heartline". This shows a green line in the centre of your track. This is where the riders centre of gravity is. You'll notice that as you go around corners, the centre of gravity will shift. Use your banking to try to reduce the movement of this line. If the line has to move, try to make the movement smooth. As for your inversions, if you did them yourself, you did a pretty good job. If I get a chance a little later, I'll have a go at re-building Light Jump. In the mean time, I'd love to hear your comments about the re-build of Steel Force.

Remake.zip

Edited by ads086

Here's another one, some work needs to be done to the last loop and corkscrew, but other than that is there any area that needs improving.
-The ride needs supports. -As mentioned with your last coaster, turns need to be banked enough to reduce lateral g forces. -Do lead ins and lead outs for your turns, by this I mean there needs to be a transition into the turn, where the track banks first. Don't do it the way you are doing where the track turns straight away. The reason being is that while the node on the turn may be banked, there is still a section of turn at the start where it wont have had enough time to twist around to the desired angle and as such lateral forces will be too high: post-88-1226030293_thumb.jpg Have a look at this pic of MDMC and you can see the way transitions are done: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas...otocoaster.html -Make sure the ride is in proportion, eg there is a really wide and gradual drop from the MCBR into a ridiculously small loop. Same can be said about having a 100m wide overbanked turn leading into a small corkscrew. -At the same time avoid excessivley long and wide turns, like the ones near the start of the ride, since they are so gradual the turn feels boring. -It generally works better to arrange elements in order of size, eg have bigger inversions early in the ride with smaller ones later on (because the train is running out of kinetic energy) In your ride the small corkscrew is ahead of a larger zero g roll, which means the corkscrew is taken with excessive speed. -Avoid sharp jerky moments like the entry into the corskscrew. Try to smooth it out. A big help in this respect is the smooth tool (Edit>Smooth...or you can press Ctrl+G), just highlight the segments you want to smooth out, hit smooth, and the program will do it for you. It tends to work by making the radius of the turn more constant, so it generally works well, but sometimes it can have odd results (say if you were trying to make a part of the ride with a non constant radius, like the bottom of a drop) post-88-1226031081_thumb.jpg -Avoid irregular and odd shaped bits of track as it looks messy. You can rectify this by using the grid to place the nodes so the track forms the proper circular shape, have a sort of imaginary center to the circle, and then place the nodes the same distance out. The smooth tool can then help round the curve. For example the turn at the end of the ride should be of constant radius: post-88-1226031339_thumb.jpg -The ride still has g force issues, this is a good guide for the range they should be in Vertical: -1.5 to +5g Lateral: -1 to 1g Acceleration....Launches can be pretty powerful, 2g or so. Brake runs shouldn't be more than about -1g. -Have a look at the coasters that come with the game, and see how they do things.

• 5 months later...

OK I am currently in the process of constructing a coaster and have one question. When I click on one of the vertices then go edit - I can't pick 'set first' It was working for a while but it doesn't matter which verticy I pick I can never get it to 'set first'. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) EDIT: Don't worry seems to be working now :) I will post a track file soon.

Edited by cadboy

OK heres the track file. The ride is a B&M Invert that contains 8 inversions. The ride is approximately 53 m high and reachs a top speed of 108kmph. The G-forces are generally in the green but deliver some small moments of airtime. All inversions were custom made and some of the supports though they were mainly premade. Please rate and give some feed back, I am interested in area's that can be improved. Cheers,

Ferno_Fighter.zip

Edited by cadboy

I can't pick 'set first' It was working for a while but it doesn't matter which verticy I pick I can never get it to 'set first'. Any help would be greatly appreciated
You can only set first vertice when the track is joined into a circuit. If you are in the middle of building it, and the track is disconnected the first vertice can naturally only be the one at the start. I had a look at the track, and the following things could be improved: -Be careful with which prefab inverted supports you are using, there are 3 types to use: >"Inverted Support" >"90 Deg Banking Support" >"Small Inverted Support" In many cases you were using the 90 degree banking supports where they shouldn't have been, so the track was too close: post-88-1239262721_thumb.jpg In these cases, use the "Small Inverted Support" because it has a longer horizontal section, so the track hangs further away from the vertical column. -Go into track settings, and give the lift hill, MCBR, and final brakes catwalks on both sides (Double click on the track segment to bring up settings) -There is no need for the final, sloping brake run to have friction wheels, deactivate them under track segments settings. -The Lateral g forces were too strong at, >Bottom of the first drop >First corkscrew >In the inline twist between the corkscrews* >In the final inline twist They shouldn't really be higher than +/-G, and in many cases yours went right into the red. Have a play around with banking angles, and perhaps draw out these transitions so they dont whip the rider around so much. *This element will probably be difficult to fix, because by its nature you have the track banking against the turn at the start of the twist. -At the same time, avoid banking too much...the final turn is a good example, the train is going slow around a wide turn, so riders aren't pinned in their seats...because its so slow, riders would actually be sliding down sideways. Other than that, its a pretty solid effort, the steep dives would be really exciting. If you wanted to polish it a bit further, maybe make some of the inversions a tad lower, so riders go quick over the top instead of slowing down? A couple of good things to do to check your track.... -Highlight the whole ride, and under track settings make the whole ride a tunnel, then ride it, and if you see any bits of supports penetrating the tunnel you'd know they'd infringe on the safety tolerance. -Ride the ride in slow speed (50% or 25%), but watch the g force gauges for any sudden spikes in g force levels. Edited by Gazza