Speakers on GD?

T-bone

Hey Guys. Yet another observation, I am just wondering if anyone has before ever noticed a speaker on each of the Giant Drops Catchcar (is that the official term?) For those which have never noticed it, look at this photo it is located on the left hand side of the catchcar. Anyway, I was just wondering if those who rode this awsome ride in it's heyday could explain what they were used for (apart from the obvious omitting of sound :lol:), and what other theming features & ride procedures the ride had which are no longer operating. From what I have heard, the Giant Drop was at one stage probably one of the better themed flat rides in Australia. What a shame that it is in the state that it currently is.

I know that previously, on the western(?) side of the tower, a set of brake fins were located not far from the highest point, so you would fall into these brakes and feel as though you've stopped, before gravity won out and you started to fall again. Also, are you sure that which you're referring to as a speaker isn't a floodlight??

The Speakers are just there, as spotty and gazza have said, for emergency contact. In the case of the ride having a breakdown it provides a way for the operators to convey messages to riders (eg. Please remain calm and all that jazz.) It also provdes an alternative way for engineers on the ground to talk to engineers in the catch car working on the tower. Although, its primary use is for breakdown situations.

Edited by Lotl_90

Interesting that some of the ride ops don't know how to use it. I was on GD, and when we got to the top, one of the other riders pulled a camera out of his pocket. We thought it was just taking a really long time to reach the top when we noticed we were slowly coming back down. It would have been nice to know that's what was happening

I have actually noticed them several times, just never been bothered about it really. And how long did it take for the GD to come back down? I've seen it having to come down slowly from about halfway up several times and it took about 5 mins from there... You would think they would make it descend a bit faster lol.

Interesting that some of the ride ops don't know how to use it. I was on GD, and when we got to the top, one of the other riders pulled a camera out of his pocket. We thought it was just taking a really long time to reach the top when we noticed we were slowly coming back down. It would have been nice to know that's what was happening
I dont know whether it was so much that the ride ops wouldnt have known how to use it or didnt feel the need to. Its quite sad though that the op didnt notice the camera in his pocket, usually they are good with that sort of stuff, and they make you turn up your hands before they start the ride just to be sure. I know that its a protocol when the ride cuts out or cannot be moved one way or another temporarily to make an announcement to guests, and that is why they are there. Also, that speed is as fast as the catch cars can move up and down the tower. Edited by Lotl_90

I still think it is STUPID how long it takes for the car to go from when it slows down to releasing. Not to mention when it goes slow at the end before engaging the gondola. If they went faster during that time, Capacity would greatly improve I reckon. Shaving off around 30 - 40 secs of the cycle time.

I still think it is STUPID how long it takes for the car to go from when it slows down to releasing. Not to mention when it goes slow at the end before engaging the gondola. If they went faster during that time, Capacity would greatly improve I reckon. Shaving off around 30 - 40 secs of the cycle time.
I dont think it makes too much of a difference considering while it comes down is time that is being used for unloading and reloading. So by the time it comes down, the cycle is just getting ready to start again.

Mainly the time at the top though... Or they could just hire a 3rd person to be grouping while 2 run the ride... Or maybe synchronize them that they dispatch at the same time. Only using the western control panel that can control them both. And then the 2nd gondola operator could be grouping riders up so they can just get on and go.

In off peak periods there is no need to have the third person, although in Holidays, they do have this person, purely for grouping riders up. And synchronising them, while it may seem practical, Its more efficient for Dreamworld to be running two seperate sides so that it is not affected by annual maintenance and breakdowns etc as much as other rides. It allows them to continue operation of the ride, just at a diminished capacity.