Anzac Opening Hours

I just want to know what they think about Dreamworld not extended their closing time on Anzac Day but still charging the full price for the day. For those who don’t know all the parks, on Friday, do not open to 1.00pm. Movieworld and Seaworld have extended their closing time. I find this to be very Dreamworld typical.

Even Wonderland did this on ANZAC day. No other place closes later just because they open later to "keep the customer happy". My local westfield opens at 1:30pm and closes at 4. That's two and a half hours - I feel sorry for the employers that have to pay their staff a minimum of 5 hours at public holiday rates and only getting half the time out of them. I also feel sorry for those employees who for the sake of two and a half hours - have to go to work. Point is - let's not make this out like its big bad macquarie leisure cashing in - Just because MW decided to stay open a little later, doesnt mean its Macquarie who is the greedy one... MW is just as greedy - staying open longer to get more money through the turnstiles and in the cash registers. (and I just want to point out here before I get flamed, I am an avid WVTP supporter, and am not usually in favour of DW... im just trying to be unbiased here)

No other place closes later just because they open later to "keep the customer happy". My local westfield opens at 1:30pm and closes at 4. That's two and a half hours
Yeah, but no other place has you paying a set amount for a days entertainment. It doesn't matter if say a retail outlet didn't open till later because you are still getting the full value out of whatever goods you buy. In this case shorter hours only really effects customer convenience. On the other hand, your DW ticket is supposed to grant you 7 hours entertainment, but there is no way to get that. Doesn't bother me too much, people can just vote with their feet and visit the place where they can get the same amount of entertainment as any other day. I never considered the idea of being able to night ride, so I might go down to MW. Edited by Gazza

:D I've been wanting to go to Movie World lately, and this is perfect timing! With a bit of luck I'll be there. Thought's on whether either tomorrow, Friday or Saturday would be best time to go? (I love being there after dark, but a few more hours wouldn't hurt either) It's a shame Dreamworld isn't doing the same, I wish all parks in general would stay open later. Everything is a brand new experience then! :P

Heartless, unpatriotic, immature, and completely inappropriate. The values we have out there in society today disgust me. If you have no dignity, no respect for those who fought and died for the country that we have today, fine. You are entitled to your own opinions and views but a blatant disrespect for those diggers is offensive, and I would hope you feel very ashamed for that comment. In regards to dreamworld; The cost of operating the attractions even for a shorter period that day, coupled with the fact that the park would not receive as many guests as they would on a weekend simply because of the trading hours reduction (which by the way is a LAW, not just a choice by the parks to operate for half a day), means that the park cannot operate with a reduced entry fee. If you aren't happy with the same fee for reduced hours, don't go. The park obviously cannot sustain the operations of the park without the full price admission fee.

Are you talking to me Alex? I have great respect for the ANZACs that died and let it be known that i have marched in my local ANZAC commeration ceremony for the last five years and that my great grandfather is an ANZAC. Its because of them I live in a free country an I am even able to ride a rollercoaster or Batwing and I understand that. I don't think the statement is as disrespectful as you make it out to be, but that fact you think I would purposely disrespect the ANZACs, one of them being in my own family deeply hurts me. I would like to think that my great grandfather would be happy that in a moment of immense joy, I took the time to thank him and the rest of the ANZACs for the opportunity to be able to experience that.

Heartless, unpatriotic, immature, and completely inappropriate. The values we have out there in society today disgust me. If you have no dignity, no respect for those who fought and died for the country that we have today, fine. You are entitled to your own opinions and views but a blatant disrespect for those diggers is offensive, and I would hope you feel very ashamed for that comment. In regards to dreamworld; The cost of operating the attractions even for a shorter period that day, coupled with the fact that the park would not receive as many guests as they would on a weekend simply because of the trading hours reduction (which by the way is a LAW, not just a choice by the parks to operate for half a day), means that the park cannot operate with a reduced entry fee. If you aren't happy with the same fee for reduced hours, don't go. The park obviously cannot sustain the operations of the park without the full price admission fee.
I don’t find anything said in this discussion, Heartless, unpatriotic, immature, and completely inappropriate and there is nothing wrong with what has been said. I think your looking at this topic with the half glass mentality. To your reply about Dreamworld operating for a shorter period for full cost. You just have to go to a scream night when the tickets are half price for fewer hours to see that dreamworld can reduced the ticket price on the gate. With the southern states still on break I think Dreamworld would not have a problem filling up. One more thing SHADOWXL you have not done anything wrong and there is no need to apologise. Edited by skeetafly

I don’t find anything said in this discussion, Heartless, unpatriotic, immature, and completely inappropriate and there is nothing wrong with what has been said. I think your looking at this topic with the half glass mentality.
I wasn't referring to the topic in general, just Shadows last post as it seemed very very disrespectful. I understand his position, can see what he meant and retract most of what I said, so long as there is no screaming on the batwing - it is a moment of silence after all. ;)
To your reply about Dreamworld operating for a shorter period for full cost. You just have to go to a scream night when the tickets are half price for fewer hours to see that dreamworld can reduced the ticket price on the gate. With the southern states still on break I think Dreamworld would not have a problem filling up.
There is a difference between extended trade in a screamworld style event, where the rides have already been inspected, some staff are already at the park and can double shift\extend shift it. For Utopia at Wonderland I would start at about 12 or 1pm, and go all the way through to close, thereby maximising the park staff with similar working arrangements. The difference between a screamworld and a 4.5hour Anzac day trade is that the cost of operating for just 4.5 hours, rather than a 7ish hour standard trade, a short closure and then a reopening for another 4ish hours is massive. The maintenance expense on a screamworld day would be cheaper, because the rides would operate for over 11 hours on the one inspection, as opposed to 4.5 hours operation on the exact same cost. Same costs to inspect the rides, lower operation time, lower income to be made. Staffing wise, most awards covering the themepark \ hospitality would dictate a minimum 5 hour shift. Most staff would make this extra half hour with arrival\start times before the park opened, but the parks generally need relief staff, and so would be "overstaffed" with their regular contingent, and so are faced with two choices - have the staff required to cover shift relief, OH&S breaks etc, or understaff to reduce their wages, and pay the price in capacity, and of course the reduced staff means fewer outlets, stalls etc open, and therefore less money again. If you really don't understand this, and want me to do the math on it - say so and i'll lay it all out for you in an easy to understand way.