TV Commercial from the 80's (Cade's County Waterpark)

peter241

Anyone remember the early days of Wet n Wild in the 80's. It was called Cade's County Waterpark. I was in the TV commercial back in 1985 as a 12 year old. I am still trying to trackdown that ad. Hunting on you-tube etc. Would love to get a copy if anyone happens to have it. Will pay!!. I was the boy coming down the speedslide, running up to the camera and saying "Cades county waterpark..the coolest place to be this summer!!" How embarrasing!!! Still, would love to see it again. Does anyone remember the ad??

I'm sure it would have be in an archive somewhere. The thing is someone would have had to have taped a TV show back then, would have not been doing that thing where you stop recording in the ads, would have not taped over it, or lost it etc, and would have to own equipment to get it onto the computer, and from there would have had to have seen the potential for people to actually care about it on youtube....I like those odds! In other words the internet is probably the worst place to look. I mean, on youtube there aren't even any clips of A*mazing, and that was once one of the most popular kids TV shows going. Do you know the production company? You could try contacting them.

The park's management itself could also be good. I know WVTP own the park, however looking back at Wonderland, and the number of owners it had, in the fire sale, they were still clearing a lot of memorabilia, and old video tapes from the first seasons. It is possible that the park itself maintains copies. I'm sure there would be some form of recourse for you to contact them with your story.

If your in the add, they generally give it to you!!! I was in an add, I won't mention which one but my grandmother wanted a copy, rang the company and they gave her as still picture of my face up close in the add, not sure if she got the video, she just explanned who she was and they were more than happy!!! You should defiantly call WVTP!!!

Edited by Original

the area movieworld and wet n wild are located is actually called cades county, it got its name when the developer (col herringe) named the area after one of his sons. Thats where the name of the original park came from way back then, i remember going as a kid when i was young, I remember riding the speed slide with my grandmother who lost her glasses in the splash down pool. Nothing really left of the original park anymore, everything has been removed or upgraded. From memory, all they started off was with the flumes (used to ride a matt), the speed slide, the toboggan (i cant remember the same of it) and the wave pool. I remember the kids area from my childhood but i cant remember if it came later. Here's a photo for you, notice something interesting in the background? scan7.jpg Anyone remember matilda? wonder where she went?

Edited by Mad Hatter

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all those who responded to my original post. The agency I was with back then no longer exists. Both my parents and I can not remember the name of it. We were given a tape of the ad along with all the "wildvision" (unedited footage). It has long since been lost. Luckily I still have copies of several Tv ads and a segment of "Wombat" I was in back then. I was a bit of an 80's TV star. No-one at WetnWild have been able to help. Not one person I spoke to could suggest anything. My only hope, i guess, is to advertised to see if anybody has a copy.

• 2 weeks later...
the area movieworld and wet n wild are located is actually called cades county, it got its name when the developer (col herringe) named the area after one of his sons. Thats where the name of the original park came from way back then, i remember going as a kid when i was young, I remember riding the speed slide with my grandmother who lost her glasses in the splash down pool. Nothing really left of the original park anymore, everything has been removed or upgraded. From memory, all they started off was with the flumes (used to ride a matt), the speed slide, the toboggan (i cant remember the same of it) and the wave pool. I remember the kids area from my childhood but i cant remember if it came later. Here's a photo for you, notice something interesting in the background? scan7.jpg Anyone remember matilda? wonder where she went?
Oh my God!!! I had trackys just like those...what a cool memory trip back to the 80's

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
^^ Disregarding everything forx is saying... it has dug up some old threads. As for Matilda, she was dismantled and put in the staff carpark for several years. About a month ago, the three pieces were removed and taken away by truck so I would think it unlikely that we will see her return.
I know where she is!!! anyone else wanna know????

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit of an update on Matilda: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html

Council bans iconic Matilda Melinda Marshall | March 18th, 2010 RETIRED Commonwealth Games mascot Matilda the kangaroo has been banned from flogging petrol on the Gold Coast Highway. The 13m, six tonne fibreglass kangaroo opened the 1982 Brisbane Games with a wink at the Queen. But as the Gold Coast prepares to launch its bid for the 2018 games, Queensland's forgotten champion is now working for independent Queensland petrol station chain Matilda Fuel Supplies. The company applied to Gold Coast City Council to place Matilda outside its Tugun petrol station. The proposal included replacing the kangaroo's Commonwealth Games logo with the company logo. The council community and cultural development committee yesterday rejected the application. Committee chair Bob La Castra said Matilda was too tall for regulations limiting advertising signs to 10m. But he was not averse to seeing Matilda used for the Gold Coast's Games bid. "If we could find somewhere to put it that wasn't being used in a commercial sense I think that'd be fantastic," he said. Following her Commonwealth Games glory, Matilda moved to theme park Wet 'N' Wild from 1984 until a few years ago. She wowed the crowds at the 1982 opening ceremony with technology that allowed her to rotate her head, wiggle her ears and wink her right eye. Matilda Fuel Supplies argued in the application the kangaroo would create a 'facility of interest' for the community as well as a focal point and 'non-conventional identification' for the fuel station. But council officers said that the dominant structure would trigger more billboard applications as surrounding businesses competed for attention. The fuel company declined to comment on the refusal, which will go to the full council next Monday for ratification.
*sigh* Not only does the Gold Coast City Council have something called "The council community and cultural development committee" but they're also a pack of morons. Edited by joz