Wonderland Sydney Update!

Nightshifter

i recently contacted the park in person, phone and email and the same response was given, the beastie will not operate at wonderland sydney again, and the park does have plans for the park, but not for the immediate future. They all said that the park has picked up in the last year as the preferred holiday fun and they said that the plans for a new rollercoaster and new rides will not be introduced until another 3 years at least. i know it sounds very carp for us sydney people, but wonderland doesnt have any competition in new south wales or sydney. queensland have sea world, wet n wild, movie world and dreamworld competing for more tourism and they are all in the same area. it sounds like this is as good as wonderland can get. the only rumor recently been going around is that wonderland will have a sharks golf centre. its far fetched, but there wont be anything until another 3 years. sorry to dissapoint you all. Big News! Tony Laffan better known as tony and juleen the illusionists at wonderland sydney are due to leave wonderland sydney. Tony Laffan signed a contract with wonderland in 1999to perform at wonderland sydney 7 days a week. his contract was extended to serve wonderland for 2000 shows. His last show at wonderland sydney ends in january 2004. This news just got worse, he will now perform 1800 shows in Dreamworld signing a 3 year contract as of next year. The contact hasnt been signed but there may be a chance that he will stay a wonderland sydney and sign another contract.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting about Tony and Juleen going to Dreamworld. They did shows there for many years before they went down to Sydney. It'd be good for Dreamworld to get the show back, as having seen them perform in both places, I prefered the show at Dreamworld. Wonderland's show just seemed to scream "Tacky!" the whole time I was watching it, where as Dreamworld's was more of a fun diversion during the day. The only thing I liked about the Wonderland version was that Tony and Juleen were getting a bit more exposure for themselves while they were down there.

Juleen left the show a few months back, leaving Tony by himself with the rare assistance of a flimsy girl that practically does nothing. I guess it was for the better that she left, Tony was the more enthusiastic magician, as Juleen seemed very tired and worn out. I used to watch the show every week, but it became so repetitive and lame I just couldn't watch it anymore. There was one trick where Juleen sat on a stool and had a piece of paper, which she tore up, then restored it back to it's original state. Sure, it was clever, but the way she presented it was embarrassing. ~Liam

Guys, calm down Nightshifter is this some more false information that you have recieved? Firstly the ride thing, We have discussed a thousand times on these forums and Wonderland tell their staff nothing, zip, zilch and i speak to staff on the internet and ex staff (yes you know who you are) and they said when they worked there, or while they are working there, they are not told a thing. My mums friend worked there and was working around the time of Space Probe, staff werne't told until construction started on the ride. The email and phone call you made was to Frontdesk@----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines---- and to the Guest Relations was the phone call. They wouldn't go off telling what the parks future is, as i hear Wonderland are trying to break reocrds to make their next ride project more worth it. Do you think they will tell any old person what they are building and when? Heck it could be Dreamworld emailing them and calling them, then dreamworld would know what the competition is building. The Tony Laffan thing, The show has just had a major makeover. New video, i saw him one night in Penrith Plaza having a photoshoot for the new posters, and the whole show has been changed, i dont't think that Tony is going anywhere anytime soon. The live in the Sydney area, and from what i hear like where they live. May i ask Nightshifter where did you get this information from? That's my say, any questions and i'll be glad to answer them, just remember one thing, the staff are told nothing therefore can tell you nothing about the parks future because they dont know anything to tell you. Nuff said@!

posted by Nightshifter

queensland have sea world, wet n wild, movie world and dreamworld competing for more tourism and they are all in the same area.
Dude learn the industry before commenting on it! I work for Warner Village theme parks and how can SW, WnW and MW compete when they are the same company thats why there is a thing called a 3 park superpass. Also the Parks CEO has a great Relationship with DW CEO and beleve it or not the only competition at the top is friendly. similar to the local relationship of Knotts and Disney in California why compete when all the tourist have come to the same area. As for Wonderland do you really thing they are going to give a 100% date of the next ride to some body they dont know "outside of the industry circle" parks like to surpise people with there next attraction and never release the information till at least 6 months before projects opening just look at the USA for this, December they annouce plans for a coaster May they open. (Unless its a long project like TOT at disney which takes more then 6 months) I hope this clear things up. And if there are new attractions for the parks next christmas dont look for any news till at least July

I believe Nightshifter may be partially right about one thing. A staff member who knows one of the dancers in the Tony Laffan magic show told me that his contract is indeed up for re-negotiation around Jan/Feb. No one is sure at this stage whether Wonderland will renew his contract. I reckon it's time to say goodbye to Tony. It's time for something new! Hmm that should be Wonderland's new slogan...

Rabid Disney, Nightshifter isn't gunna learn about the industry if he doesn't comment or ask questions is he? Way to shatter confidence. I agree too though that the park people probaly don't know what there on about but good on ya for doing some reasearch, intresting anyway. The whole ponit of forums is to share and discuss info and you can take away whatever you like from it. Your not going to learn anything unless you say anyhting are you? Shaun

On thing about Tony's contract with Wonderland is that it is re-negotiated every 6 months so what GoBoi says is probably true. Saying that it is unlikely that he would leave as I agree with what Jaggie said about Tony, why would he produce a new video and then leave just a few months later? It doesnt make sense. As for what Nightshifter said about Beastie, well DUH!! You obviously have not been to Wonderland in the last 6 months. Beastie has been closed for a year now and with no maintance done on the ride in that time do you honestly think that it would re-open? Beastie is closed down so get over it, the people who work at Wonderland are sick of people asking them every day about Beastie, so do them all a favour and stop asking about it. "The Bus is now leaving for São Tomé and Príncipe"

Just adding some more to what I was saying before re Tony's show... I would really like to see it replaced with a big Marvel show (based on one of the characters... hulk, spiderman, whatever). The show would need to be better than action man (I hear that show was a little bit average) and have plenty of effects (lots of explosions please). Obviously it would never be as good as Police Academy but SOMEWHERE near that standard would be nice. Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that all of Wonderland's branding and advertising is filled with the Marvel characters and yet when you arrive at the park there is no Marvel themed show or attraction. All you've got is the occasional walk-about character and a retail shop. At this point it seems to me like they are really cashing in on the Marvel name without giving something in return.

Why would Tony go anywhere with the amount of cash he's getting around that joint? The rumoured amount going around is a mind blowing figure. I was quite stunned. During the week they wouldn't receive this amount from their gate receipts. Things may have changed over the last 5 or 6 months since I was there, but keep an eye out for a Spiderman show starting for the Xmas holidays. Maybe a person currently in the 'know' can elaborate a little. I'm with Bus as you all know, Beastie has gone. She's been retired to the ol' theme park in the sky. She's firewood.

I agree a Marvel show would be good but if they don't do a real good job at it it would probaly turn out pretty crap. Depends how much money WL is prepared to pay for a decent show. I also agree with the Marvel advertising too lol GoBoi 'Come to our park cause we have a comic book store........' They must have soemthing more than a shop in plan for the Marvel name. Shaun

posted by shaun

Posted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 8:08 pm   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------   Rabid Disney,   Nightshifter isn't gunna learn about the industry if he doesn't comment or ask questions is he? Way to shatter confidence.  
If anything SHAUN I am just clearing the air and answering the questions as a industry insider that works at WBMW and I also know the oversea parks thanks to certain sources (ask RICH or JOZ if you dont beleve me) eg i know the layout of KNOTTS next coaster. But if you dont want me too answer question and give people who are asking questions some answer so they will learn. Thats fine I wont comment at all. Ian"god some people are touchie"Clark

Rab, forget em mate, post your life away I say. You seem to be pretty genuine to me. I'm sure most others agree. So stuff em. Whether you are right or you are wrong who gives a toss? Don't get touchy yourself there though. There's nothing wrong with a bit of sh*t being put on each other. It's all part of the fun. So everyone just fire up if you must. I don't agree that Wally World would get the funds to do extra crap if they were going bung. Why go further down the crapper if they're bust? Driving past Wally World a couple of hours ago, I saw the Wally World Cat Burglar had struck, knocking off Zodiac's gondolas.... Wally World insiders, has the zodicrap gone down for annual? How many rides is that down at the moment? Is Snowy back open again yet? How about Taz? I'm sure Taz or Snowy would be back open again before they took Zodiac down... Surely they couldn't possibly be that stupid...??? Then again.... :shock:

Snowy was down a few weeks ago for a bout a month, don't know what caused it. Anyway, Snowy was open for about a week, then broke again on Sunday (one of the pumps bursted. Wonderland's solution - duct tape). Tazmanian Devil is still down, rumour is that it won't come back at all. Now Zodiac is down, 3 attractions that are closed.. that's great going Wonderland! ~Liam

haha. **sits in the corner and laughs to himself** Sounds like when Demon and Bush Beast were down together. Bloody brilliant stuff Wally World. Going great guns. That's disgraceful. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks to get in with all attractions going let alone being 3 down. 14 attractions including the Wally World Express... Are they kidding? To avoid this, all they need to do is keep the maintenance upto the rides as required instead of taking shortcuts and doing work on a reactive basis, not proactive. Don't get me wrong, the maintenance guys are doing all they can with what they've got. That place needs a rocket up its ass. I was nearly going to say how shocked I am, but really, I'm not. Nothing has changed.

Well, everyone in this forum may know that i am a big wonderland sydney fan. I hope the park is reading this aswell I find it very hard now in the last month or so to find something to like about the park. All the rides close, patch up jobs for maintence everything. Now if im a massive wonderland fan and find it hard to like the place, imagine how the general public is finding it! It's no wonder WONDERLAND THAT the public arnt coming to the place. Why spend all that money, heck Jamberoo rec park is building again this xmas, last year it was surf hill now it's billabong beach. What have u built in the last 9 years??? Nothing!! Jad a few temporary shows, wow! is that worth $50 The park never replies to emails you send them, so what the hell are they doing. Looks like an email will be heading their way and if i dont get a reply, well lets just say management will recieve a letter. Anyone who has something to ad to the letter post in here! Damn im so angry

Jaggs, they won't even reply to an addressed written letter. It's just plain bloody rude. It's common etiquette to reply to any correspondence, whether it be electronically or by post, especially a company that is supposedly customer service based (haha). How dare they drill into their staff the importance of exceptional customer service? Double standards just keep popping up all over the bloody place. They're not good at returning phone calls either... The height of rudeness. Bloody nuffy's. It's going to come back to bite ya's on the ass. Swings and roundabouts my good men and women. What goes around comes around.

people dont complain to me about what i hear, becasue i only right what i am told. i know the beastie has been closed for a year ive been there all i am saying is that it wont reopen even if little wonders land is reused. it will not reopen. my info is from the actual wonderland phone number, i went to guest relations last time i went to the park a week ago and i also sent an email. i dont know whta is going on around the park but its certainly noy going to be something big.

Shifty, no one's complaining to you mate. I agree 100%, as everyone knows, that Beastie is firewood. I also agree that Wonderland wouldn't have anything big planned in the near future. I've layed down the challenge before Wally World. Prove me wrong will ya? For all these guys sake. Don't let a park with so much potential die. All of us guys grew up with you as part of our culture. Everyone in Sydney has been to Wally World at some stage in their lives. I do believe though that something has to be done. A new attraction, a little bit of marketing and the people will flock back. People are just waiting for something new. Why would the average Joe pay to go to Wonderland more than once a year? You're doing well if you go that often... Get a good sponsor onboard, keep up the maintenance to hang onto your sponsors and you'll be sweet. Let me run that joint I say :P It's not rocket science really. Common sense... You don't know how many pissed off, whinging people that get there and are just stunned by the state of the place. They take out their anger on the poor old operator who knows nothing about what's happening in the park and reasons for decisions. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "I payed 50 bucks to get into this sh*thole and this and this is closed" or "what happened to this?", "why isn't that open anymore?" Answers are quite often given on speculation. I think that's bad on Wonderland's part that operators should have to be subject to abuse because of the joint's condition. You're trained to refer someone to guest relations only as a last resort but why be bothered with these people? Send them to someone else to deal with them. Lucky for management they've got some great operators that are customer service focussed and will talk to them. More customer service focussed than they are that's for bloody sure. Not that they care about or appreciate their staff at all. These guys do an awesome job everyday, and it's clear that management don't seem to care. They've got a funny way of showing it anyway...

I speak to staff at Wonderland reguarly, wether it be at the park or on the internet. From what I've heard, they are sick and tired of the way management treats them. Apparently, certain members of management at Wonderland cuss at ride operators, for no particular reason. Recently, one of Wonderland's best lifeguards at The Beach was sacked for minor irrelavent issues - it's disgusting. Don't get me started on the issue of a ride operator being sacked for an issue irrelavent to the theme park and their performance as an operator. I speak to a lot of staff at Wonderland, yet I can't recall someone that is 100% happy with their job. Most staff already have plans to leave Wonderland as a ride operator due to management's abuse and the little respect they are shown. As for getting people back to the park, not even a new ride is needed. All the need is improvements to the already existing rides. Bush Beast could get an entire retrack, with new PTC trains. Space Probe could have floorless stand-up cars added to the tower. Demon could get the new Vekoma Boomerang trains added. Many improvements to existing rides are available on the market today, I think this would be Wonderland's best option considering the "tight" budget they seem to be on. ~Liam

You guys seem to be implying that attendance is seriously dropping at wonderland due to the lack of money being spent on the place. But the fact is from what I hear the park is still getting plenty of people through the gates. I often make this point. You hear about all these people complaining because rides are shut and there is nothing new and then they go and buy a Wonderpass! Doesn't make sense. If all these families and kids stopped going then maybe Wonderland would start improving or adding attractions. It doesn't seem fair to me that the Gold Coast parks constantly inject capital while Wonderland keeps taking and not giving anything back to the guests. So why do people keep supporting them?