New rollercoaster for Adelaide Show

bluman

As reported in Adelaide's The Advertiser overnight. This new rollercoaster looks set to travel to other shows s well! Bluman Ride of Adelaide's life A $3 MILLION rollercoaster will provide Adelaide thrillseekers with their first taste of a stomach-churning, jaw-dropping loop ride. The Big Dipper is the centrepiece of a Royal Adelaide Show ride revival, designed to arrest flagging attendance figures amid growing hip-pocket pressure. The steel-framed 365m track has been built and assembled in Bucharest, Romania, and is about to be loaded into six 12m ship containers for the journey here. It replaces the 44-year-old crowd favourite, the Mad Mouse, which was demolished last year to make way for the $42 million exhibition complex. Owner Bob Lawrence, who sold the Mad Mouse to the Newcastle show, expects the new ride to outshine its predecessor. "It's a thrilling ride, you go upside down - something Adelaide hasn't seen before," Mr Lawrence said. "The rides are a very big drawcard for the Show - we've got a few new rides this year so we're probably offering the best children's rides in Australia." The Big Dipper also will be mobile. It will be dismantled every year to take to interstate shows. An Australian engineer tested the ride three weeks ago for safety compliance, amid tougher scrutiny following the Spin Dragon accident, in which 37 people were injured at the 2000 show. "In a safety sense it's actually better than we expected. South Australia is very safety conscious. My rides have had an excellent record with no accidents so we want to maintain that." As for the price - the 36 passengers who will be strapped into the three trains can expect to pay about $8 a ride. The Big Dipper is one of seven new rides which will be launched later today for the September show. Organisers are also unveiling a more upmarket brand and logo, and dumping longtime mascot Banjo the border collie. A greater emphasis will be placed on free entertainment to counter last year's 6 per cent drop in attendance, to 501,428, as families cope with growing economic pressures. Ticket prices will also remain on hold at $18 for adults, $11 for children and $47 for families. Ride of Adelaide's life KIM WHEATLEY, CHIEF REPORTER source: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...5006301,00.html

I think you're right Gazza! The image in the print edition is similar. There was a launch at the Showgrounds this morning to announce the new Adelaide Show Logo and new additions for this year. Can anyone remember if there was a touring version of this coaster in Australia, quite a few years ago? I recall riding something similar at the Melbourne many years ago!! Cheers, Blu

Edited by bluman

• 2 weeks later...
p7389.jpg Hell yeah!! :) I've heard this was coming. I did one on the TPR Midwest Trip last year at Beech Bend. It wasn't that painful though the track shook considerably when we rounded the loop (so that might freak some people out a little). Amusingly, one of the girls also noticed the track segment leading into the station wasn't quite lined up properly (and took a picture to prove it). It's quite a fun little coaster. Not one you'd line up hours for and I don't know what the Crazy Coaster's layout was like but this is worth riding... not just for the credit. Having the loop is a nice bonus. I'll be doing the TPR Asian trips when the Show is on so unfortunately won't be able to check this one out. Does anybody know what other carnivals it will do? I'm guessing the Melbourne Show will be a safe bet... which is good as I'll be back then. p7393.jpg Edited by Gold Coaster

Guest dreamworldfan

I believe so, all i remember was trying to take interesting pictures with the on-ride photo : P even though we didn't buy the photo (Another 15 Bucks!) No Limits was the best ride there last year by far

Guest dreamworldfan

my thoughts exactly. Tho you really do have to pay for the pleasure of NoLimits What happened to the Twin-Flip? that was a good ride at a good price.

Guest dreamworldfan

I remember that happening! i found it funny because I'd ridden it previously Good ride at not such a good price, Slingshot. Only worth it if you have a voucher tho

• 3 months later...