GoGoBoy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest dreamworldfan
I am not posting for the sake of posting, I am merely replying to something that was directed at me, i also was being mean
From the horses mouth. With the lack of parking, do you expect them to build a structure? or cut some of the plantation around it down?

Mate, they'll do something. If they are throwing down tens of millions then I am sure they would have considered whether the site in question would meet their needs. I did some quick and rough measurements with Google Earth At present, Aussie World has 10,000 sq m of car park and Wet n Wild has 25,000 sq m Neither measurement includes overflows. I doubt this park would get close to WnWs attendance, so it would really only be a small amount of expansion needed parking wise.

It sounds to me as though this park is going to be more like WhiteWater World than Wet 'n' Wild. Now who's copying! I would say the H20 Zone section of Wet 'n' Wild will not be replicated (except the Tornado) because I believe they got those slides 2nd hand from a defunct waterpark. Not that I mind... I am not a big fan of H20 Zone. Some of the slides are kinda fun but it is just so poorly presented and layed out. It's like the Maloney's Corner (think Luna Park Sydney) of waterparks

• 3 months later...

Ok, we can all get officially excited now: post-88-1219466283_thumb.jpg post-88-1219466430_thumb.jpg http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/aug/2...our-wet-n-wild/

A new $70 million Wet 'n' Wild water park at Aussie World is expected to attract more than 500,000 visitors in its first year of operation, and will provide 400 jobs for locals if approved by the Sunshine Coast Council. Plans for the Village Roadshow theme park were submitted to council yesterday and, if approved, the 23 hectare park could be up and running by the end of next year. But if the Wet 'n' Wild park goes ahead, it could threaten plans for the Adventura water park in Caloundra. Village Roadshow Theme Parks chief executive John Menzies launched the plans at the site yesterday, saying Wet 'n' Wild Aussie World would be similar in concept to the Gold Coast Wet n Wild park, but with an Australian bushland theme. He said three hectares of native bushland would be preserved to create a local biosphere and the water park would be “fully self-sustaining” in its water use. “We’ll have a 60 megalitre dam on site to fill the pools and maintain them, and a state-of-the-art filtration system,” he said. “Rainwater harvesting will be extremely important and it will very much be an ecologically-driven park.” He said the park would also use grey water for irrigation and solar power for night-time operations, and there would be a 20-metre tree buffer around the perimeter of the park. Mr Menzies said the site was chosen because it was already zoned for tourism use, it was easily accessible from the Bruce Highway, and was close to Brisbane, Caloundra and Maroochydore. He said a ridge on the site meant waterslides would run downhill, allowing for less invasive structures, and the existing shops and Ettamogah Pub would be retained. The park would feature tornado and kamikaze waterslides as well as designated children’s water play areas, and a wave pool. An aerial artist's impression of the Wet 'n' Wild Aussie World with the Ettamogah Pub marked in the centre. In its second stage, the park would add a roof over the children’s play areas and slides and would be heated during winter, he said. Mr Menzies said it was expected visitor numbers would increase to three times the amount currently witnessed at Aussie World. He said it was also expected that Aussie World would remain open throughout the construction process, and more car spaces would be added to cater for between 5000 and 6000 visitors every day. Once completed, Wet 'n' Wild Aussie World was expected to cater for up to 850,000 guests each year and would generate more than $300 million for the local economy within a decade. Mr Menzies said Village Roadshow was not opposed to any competition from other theme parks or water parks on the Sunshine Coast, and hoped they would draw more people to the area. But Adventura water park spokesman Damian Brown said the Sunshine Coast did not need two water parks. He said Adventura submitted its application to council in December for the $110 million project on 75 hectares of disused cane land on Caloundra Road and would submit follow-up information to the council next week. “We’ve taken a view that once we’re moving forward with the council we will go into a detailed design phase, because in this industry changes are made quickly and we want to make sure we have the most up-to-date (technology) for the market.” He said the Caloundra site was big enough for future expansion and had easy access from Caloundra Road and the Sunshine Motorway. Mr Brown said the company would be carefully monitoring the approval process, and if the Aussie World plan went ahead, it would “go back to the table” to consider its options. “We don’t know if the council will approve both, one, or neither, and if the two parks go forward, both parties will need to look at what’s being delivered,” he said. But he said Adventura would not pull out of the race and risk the Sunshine Coast being left with nothing.
Ok, so looking at the plans, we can expect the following: -Wave Pool -Lazy River -Kids Area -Tornado, with a more extensive start and finish than the Green Room (And I dunno if i am reading into this too much, but it seems like the type where the funnel is fully enclosed) -Whitewater West Boomerango -3 Body Slides -At least 3 Toilet Bowl slides, including one Behemoth Bowl -Octopus Racer -Extreme Slides, including at least one turbo tunnel ( :D ) -Mammoth type slide -Spas To me though, this sounds like the perfect water park for an Australian setting, I love the way they describe it as using the native bushland in the area, and the way the slides will run down the hillside instead of large steel support structures. The fact they seem to be going for a cohesive them is a big plus too. Interestingly, it seems like that some of the older rides are being retained, and in fact Aussie World will remain open during construction....does this mean it will be a wet/dry park? In any case, this seems like it could be a better park at opening then what WWW eventually hopes to reach with its expansions. Edited by Gazza

WOW this is really exciting news!! The lineup of rides seems to be a lot better than WWW's (as Gazza said already). What i'm really looking forward to is going to another part of Australia for a quality themepark experience, even if it's still in Queesnland ;) . FINALLY!!!!!, a turbo tunnel and a Whitewater west Boomerango :D:D I've wanted w'n'w or www to get one of these 2 slides ever since i found out about them. I also like the themeing concept for this waterpark. It's like an Australian outback style, am i right? The slides being built into the natural landscape will also make it feel different to a normal waterpark. This is probably the best news that has come out of australia's thempark industry this year. Can't wait for more updates.

From the Gold Coast Bulliten today. "Village Theme Parks CEO John Menzies said the Aussie World water park would feature 13 major rides and slides dubbed 'the world's biggest and best', including a Tornado Bowl Slide and a Bohemeth Bowl, Australias first all-weather, year-round water fun ride in the 8000sqm indoor billabong, a large wave pool, rapid river area and a childrens area with tipping water bucket." Looking at the sketches of the park I could not see any indoor area that would be 8000sqm. Does anybody have any insight or ideas of what this may be?

Interestingly, it seems like that some of the older rides are being retained, and in fact Aussie World will remain open during construction....does this mean it will be a wet/dry park?
I don't think we can expect that Gazza, The "ridge" they talk of is right behind a number of Aussie world's main rides, so they will need to clear the way for a splashdown pool. The park map you posted shows the pub in the middle of the map (at the bottom) and the whole aussie world park as it stands today is mostly directly behind that... its main street buddy... and its all gotta go.
The slides being built into the natural landscape will also make it feel different to a normal waterpark.
I would have thought "normal waterpark" could include Jamberoo. Pretty sure EVERY slide they have fits into the landscape - maybe village have learned a few things from their southern neighbours. A spaghetti of support beams is also a lot more expensive than running it along the ground too. (although most slides have support designs pre-fabbed for a flat surface - so maybe it costs more to custom design it around a hill?)

• 1 month later...

I never bothered to check back until now, but the Sunshine Coast councils PD online page is brimming with stuff on this. http://pdonline.caloundra.qld.gov.au/modul...spx?page=search Put "Frizzo" at the street name and "Palmview" as the Suburb. Do it in Internet Explorer as Firefox didn't work for me. Then pick 73 Frizzo Rd as the property, then on the next page pick the application for the water park. On the page that loads up, The 6th one down is application appendix B, site plans. Its a 43Mb PDF which I am downloading now, but there is all sorts of other goodies like the visual impact assessment, community consultation etc. Edit: To sum up what is on there: Stage 1 Attractions: -Wavepool -Giant Rain Fortress -Water Play Lagoon -Dark Mammoth -2 Raft Slides -1 Raft Bowl Slide -8 Lane Octopus Racer -Family Boomerango -'Kiddy Ride Zone' -Tornado Future Attractions: -Behemoth Bowl -Extra Raft Slide -Extra Raft Bowl Slide -Lazy River -Turbo Tunnels and Freefalls ( :( ) -Spa Zone -Roof Over Kids Areas Themed Areas: -Billabong (The kids areas) -High Country (Area with Raft and Bowl Slides) -Oasis (Wave pool...themed to have smooth eroded rocks, rockpools etc) -Rainforest (Behemoth and Boomerango) -Creek Zone (Lazy River)

Edited by Gazza

Seems like it will be a great park. What frustrates me is that WhiteWater World seems to be just sitting around doing nothing while Village is constantly upping the stakes. Their plans have been approved... why don't they go ahead and start building? They are just going to fall further and further behind the 2 WnW's

On the other hand, it saves them having to spend a lot of money on advertising, as Richard has said in another thread, this site is usually ranked in the top google results for many australian theme park \ tourism related searches. If someone went by Aussie world during construction, and googled "aussie world construction" to find out what they were up to, they should find this thread, and find out all the exciting things happening. I mean - I know that isn't the intention - the council plans are publicly available, and anyone has the ability to view them - thats just the nature of the council DA process - but it isn't necessarily something that WVTP would "hate" as the side effects of them being available to us are only beneficial. There would be no detriment - because trust me - Dreamworld would be looking at them well before we notice them. Funnily Enough - there are only 5 search results on that website - not six as Gazza pointed out - has it been removed? And to the mods - this isn't exactly "breaking news" anymore - any chance of a topic name alteration? ***Edit*** Ok - so its the fifth search result, and then when you OPEN it - its Attachment B is the sixth one down. I guess those plans answer our questions about their ability to handle the additional parking requirements - looks a lot better planned than WnW ***Further Edit*** Looking at the plans, it looks good. 9 starting attractions, all with large capacity, and an additional 4.5 attractions (1 is add-ons for an existing attraction, and delivers more capacity, but no difference, and one is a roof over an existing set of attractions to make it "indoor". It also appears as though there are a number of Aussie World attractions staying on - the "3D" view of the artists impression shows a ferris wheel, and a few other attractions which could be the existing rides of AW

Edited by AlexB

Whoops, should have been clearer. After searching, the property you want is 73 Frizzo Rd Palmview. Then, after clicking that the most recent application should be "Material Change of Use to Establish an Outdoor Sport, Recreation and Entertainment (Water Theme Park) and Shopping Complex and Preliminary Approval for Building Work & ERA (# 7 (B) Chemical Storage , #11(a) Crude Oil or Petroleum Product Storage & # 15(B) Sewerage Treatment)" Then, after going into that the 6th File down on that page is the PDF with the plans, artists impressions, theming concepts etc.

Edited by Gazza

Nice find Gazza. A couple of interesting things/concepts I noticed: - The name of the park 'WnW Aussie World' seems to differentiate from WnW GC. This I think matches the theme of your rustic Australian landscape - the gum trees, and the shed over the pool area are in line with this theme. Should go well with the Pub too. - Another strategy to do this would be the enclosed Tornado and Behemoth Bowl. It's certainly a different park to WWW and WnW GC - so hopefully it's interesting to go to and not a 'been there, done that' water park. Whereas WnW GC is a generic water park, WWW has a theme. Therefore it seems logical that this new park would also have a theme.

Edited by myk

• 1 month later...

On Sunday the Sunday mail released this article in which i think we will all find most interesting. Water park gets closer A $110 million plan to build the Adventura Water Park near Caloundra will be assessed by Sunshine Coast Regional Council in the next few weeks. The theme park which could be operating by 2010 is one of two earmarked for the area. The other is a $70 million attraction proposed by Village Roadshow at nearby Aussie World on the Bruce highway. Adventure spokesperson Tony Long said the project was forging ahead despite the threat of competition. "we've passed through the public notification stage and in the next couple of weeks we'll undergo assessment with council," he said. "Once we have the council's final response on assessment, it will simply be a matter of refining the design." "We have a good site and a financially sound attraction for the coast." Mmmmm very interesting.

On Sunday the Sunday mail released this article in which i think we will all find most interesting. Water park gets closer A $110 million plan to build the Adventura Water Park near Caloundra will be assessed by Sunshine Coast Regional Council in the next few weeks.
Ok remember that this is the 'Village to buy Aussie World' thread not Adventura water park which is the one to be built in Caloundra. But anyway it doesn't really matter.
The theme park which could be operating by 2010 is one of two earmarked for the area. The other is a $70 million attraction proposed by Village Roadshow at nearby Aussie World on the Bruce highway.
One thing to keep in mind is while the one destined to be built in Caloundra is costing $110 million dollars and the one at Aussie world $70 million the one at Aussieworld will be bigger. The 110 million dollar price tag for Adventura doesn't just include a water park, it also will have tennis courts, mini golf and other sorts of recreational facilities thus it costing more. I just desperately hope the council doesn't turn down WVTP's request as I am sure they will deliver the far superior product.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, theres my update.
Huh :blink: Edited by cadboy

I like the look of this water park, with any luck it could be the best in Australia :D
Which water park are you talking about because the discussion has now branched off to talk about the one for Caloundra and the one for Aussie wold. I agree if you are talking about the one for Aussie World as we have already seen plans and it does look very impressive. However I do not think the one at Caloundra will be as good as the whole idea of the project is for it to be a recreational park with the water park being thrown in as a bonus and not being as big. I don't know the exact layouts for each park but I sincerely hope the one for Aussie world goes ahead. Cheers,

Well I went to Aussieworld yesterday and I had a quick chat to the manager about the water park. I asked him how big the park would be compared to the fairground now, he said that if the fairground were the size of a thumbnail then when Wet'n'wild was finished it would be the size of his palm. I asked him when we could expect construction to start and he said as soon as the council approves it then things will progress with construction expected to begin in February 2009. As to the future of the rides currently there, he said that some of the dry rides would stay and be moved to another area on the site to make up a small fair within the water park, so it looks as if the Wild mouse might be staying,. He also stated that the land they currently have is 56 acres. How does this compare with WWW and WWWW? Also he said that the area that is currently being occupied by the rides there now would make up the huge children's are with tipping buckets ant that sort of thing and by looking back at the plan Gazza posted up that looks about right. A pretty low key conversation as he was busy working but still some interesting stuff.