Just curious about the SE.

Just a question, which launch is worse, *Superman *Batwing *Tower of terror I can do batwing easy, but i did superman once and don't get me wrong I loved the ride, thought it was wonderful!!! But i didn't really like the launch, in fact hated it!!! I felt i couldn't breath!!! I don't know wether it was because it was the first launched thing I had been on!!! But it really freaked me out, and has put me off riding it even though i would really, really like to do it again, I'm just scared of the launch!!! So yeah just want to know which launch people think is worse!!!

From most to least intense: Superman Batwing TOT

But I didn't really like the launch, in fact hated it!!! I felt i couldn't breath!!!
Next time, maybe just hold your breath for the whole of the two seconds it spends launching, instead of attempting to breathe? I have had no such trouble with breathing though, but I think you could be right in saying that it could be because it was the first launched ride you had been on....as far as launched coasters go, It is probably one of the fastest accelerating ones out there, save for Dodonpa and a few of the bigger Intamin Accelerators. I'd encourage you to give Superman another go, and get used to it, I mean, its not going to harm you is it? Don't understand why people get scared of rides so easily on here.... Edited by Gazza

Just a question, which launch is worse, *Superman *Batwing *Tower of terror I can do batwing easy, but i did superman once and don't get me wrong I loved the ride, thought it was wonderful!!! But i didn't really like the launch, in fact hated it!!! I felt i couldn't breath!!! I don't know wether it was because it was the first launched thing I had been on!!! But it really freaked me out, and has put me off riding it even though i would really, really like to do it again, I'm just scared of the launch!!! So yeah just want to know which launch people think is worse!!!
Really? I ADORE the launch, its my favourite part of the ride! I cant really breathe on the launch, but its such a rush, and before you know it, youre over the top-hat. Edited by revolutionx

• 3 months later...

wouldent the track get damaged if it rolledback (not like the one in the vid but to the top and back) i mean there are some sharp turns inside the SE stuffs up all the time anyway (ive been to the gold coast twice now 1st time i could see them putting on the top bit from the top of the mammoth falls line at W'N'W and when i went to MW they were testing it (I SAW IT RUN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!!!!) the second time i went i really wanted to go on it but it was broken down and finall opened at 1:00 the day before it didnt make it over the top hat thingy

No, the track doesn't get damaged. When the train launches the brake fins on the track pop up in a timed sequence as soon as the train passes during the launch, so if it rolls back it just gets slowed down. This is probably the nearest vid that shows how the system works:

You can see that just before it launches the fins in front of the train drop out of the way, and then as soon as it launches the fins pop back up in a split second. And if you want to see a full on rollback on a comparable ride, check out this:
Edited by Gazza

No, the track doesn't get damaged. When the train launches the brake fins on the track pop up in a timed sequence as soon as the train passes during the launch, so if it rolls back it just gets slowed down.
oh so thats what happened in the vid they popped up to early 2 things 1. what do they do to get the car back to the station if it rolls back 2. how does the cold weather or whatever it is affect how the car is accellarated (eg forcing a rollback)

On the indoor part of the ride, in the stations etc they use friction wheels mounted on the track to move the train along, see this pic: http://www.fxillusions.com.au/images/super...e/target13.html So if they want to get it back to the station they just run the wheels in reverse. They also run them in reverse to get a train out of the maintenance bay and into the station. I'm not 100% on what MW choose to do, but I know at some parks when there is a rollback they just let it roll back to the start of the launch and try again, and don't bother sending it back to the station. Im not 100% on the dynamics of the launch system, but I guess its like any machine (or car), runs better when it's warmed up.

I don't claim to be an expert on the launch systems either, but as far as rollbacks on launched coasters etc, it can be many different reasons. The issues that occur in the morning could be from a number of things, the first that pops to mind being cold wheels. Whether Nylon or polyurethane wheels, as it cycles, the wheels would warm up. This would be the same for the track - as the day warms up, the track would also expand slightly. I would also think that the computer calculations would have something to do with it. From memory - don't the computers in the ride system calculate the force needed for each train due to differences in weight etc? or do they just throw full tilt? I think we asked the question a while ago and someone also mentioned the cablewinch itself - again the matter of heat and expansion having an impact. *sits back and waits for the real tech heads to come in and explain why*