Universal Studios Singapore

Gazza

I know this isn't the freshest news, but I felt it deserved a topic given its probably fairly interesting to people on here since it isn't terribly far away from some parts of Australia. But who here is looking forward to Universal Studios Singapore? Already I was pretty happy about it, considering it is putting an Amazing Adventures of Spiderman clone within a few hours of home, but I have discovered a snippet from here

This movie theme park features 24 rides and attractions, including a truly innovative pair of dueling coasters--one seated and one suspended--that are locked in aerial combat. Exciting loops, sudden turns, breathtaking drops and thrilling near-collisions will make you scream out loud
And that seems to be backed up on this page: http://www.jobsdb.com.sg/Singapore/info_to...ourism_Boom.htm Is that not the coolest sounding upcoming coaster? I'm sure some of you already know of my penchant for Dueling Dragons, but the idea of two different coaster types just takes it to another level! If I wasn't already excited, I am now. Also coming to the park are a few of the other better universal attractions, such as Jurassic Park and Revenge of the Mummy. Who here is planning on a trip there anyway? Tiger Airways and Jet Maggot already fly there pretty cheaply, and I can imagine once the park opens we will see an explosion in package deals (much like what is available to Hong Kong Disneyland) 18 months cant pass fast enough ;)

Perhaps the most interesting thing is, for those living in Perth, its only 200 km further to Singapore than it is to the Gold Coast. Considering a Marine Life Park, and a Water Park are also planned, for West Australians at least, there is a very viable alternative to the GC parks if you were wanting to partake in similar activites. Considering how much Perth is booming, if they aren't doing a big marketing push there something is wrong.

Edited by Gazza

It is the point, since it's not one company going into huge debts funding a large scale expansion programme, but rather individual companies funding their own parks. That's how it differs. In other words, Universal aren't going to suffer if this park fails. But anyway Six Flags isn't/wasn't failing just because of its debts, there were a whole lot of fundamental problems with their parks that led them to do so poorly....I remember the days when they were absolutely canned by enthusiasts, so imagine what the general public was thinking. Same thing with Disneyland Paris, it did poorly in its early years because of problems with how it was operated, namely how well it was catering to the French market. What point are you making then (Sine I obviously missed it :rolleyes: ), you make it sound as if a park chain expanding makes it doomed to fail, but this is not the case, if its done well then there is no reason it can't be a success....what about Disneysea? That park has been hugely successful.

Edited by Gazza

• 4 months later...

heres an uptate that i cant belive that IM actually posting went there last week as gazza should know and here is a picture taken from the top of the merlion at sentosa which by the way IS THE BEST PLACE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and this project spands almost majority of the islands front half almost but onley goes (from facing vivo) east almost to the water by about 100 or so meteres and until the islands entrace on the west side whick then has a golf course on it though so it isnt very big either from experience.trust me. and its due for completion in 2010 and probally has the least amount of cranes on site throughout the ENTIRE 41 ks of singapore.

post-2322-1223966046_thumb.jpg

I live in Singapore at the moment and frequent Sentosa to get photos of the construction. There is a collection of photos that I've taken on Theme Park News Direct, (www.themeparknewsdirect.com) if any of you guys want to check it out. Not sure if I can post that link on here, but anyway. It's looking good! Can't wait till it opens, I'll still be living here when it does so I'm pumped!

Coincidentally another little tidbit came up (presumably) about this park: http://www.vekoma.com/

Vekoma Rides is extremely proud to announce that it will be building a signature attraction in one of the largest theme parks to open in Southeast Asia in 2010. Details of the park and its large number of coasters and attractions will be announced by the park in the near future. Vekoma Rides’ president Henk Roodenburg: “Being part of this prestigious project is of great significance to Vekoma Rides, especially for these unique and impressive coasters. Our team is excited and determined to make this project a huge success, which will once again proof that Vekoma Rides belongs to the top manufacturers in the world.”
I'm guessing they are hinting at being part of the Universal project...not confirmed of course, but it seems pretty plausible. I really do hope they use their new track and train system though...It has yet to be built, but it seems as though they have started from the ground up, and designed something clearly B&M inspired.

I thnk you must be right Gazza. Unless the new coaster they are talking about building is at Happy Valley though I highly doubt they would build another world class coaster so soon. I wonder what type of ride they are doing, something we have seen before or a new type. Hmmmmmm only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

^What gives you that impression? The developers have already stated that:

Singapore’s only movie-theme park features 24 rides and attractions, including a pair of dueling coasters that brush past one another in several near misses in their aerial combat. Thrill-seekers can choose between a coaster where they are seated or the other where riders are suspended. Exciting loops, sudden turns, breathtaking drops and thrilling near-collisions will make you scream your heart out.
I'd say that the new concept is the idea of having a sit down and inverted duel with each other. Besides, the Stingray coaster is a compact coaster with only a short train, so it would never do the job in a large theme park. Edited by Gazza

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds good. I don't know how much you could see, but has Revenge of the Mummy started having track added? In the last update on the official site it was just the frame of a big building. In any case, Universal Singapore is now in the database here: http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/SG/Sentosa/U...dios_Singapore/

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...