Official Kamikaze Thread

Gazza

I was just looking over the GC DA website, and it seems as if there was an application approved on the 02/06/08 for a "Sidewinder" attraction. http://pdonline.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/Maste...&key=232692 (Hope that link works, if not, go to http://pdonline.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/Maste....aspx?page=home and find WnW/MW) My first thought on this is that it is one of these: http://www.waterfunproducts.com/products/sidewinder.asp An OK ride from experience, though it seems pretty similar to what tornado does. And yes, I am aware there are already slides named 'Sidewinder' in the park.

Edited by Gazza

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Promising to say the least. With ProSlide's range more or less been and done it's good that they're expanding into new territory rather than trying to one-up WhiteWater World's versions of the same slides. I must say I've always been intrigued by the Sidewinder since it first came out several years ago, but with that said there's a handful of other attractions I'd pick ahead of it because it does just seem like a smaller and less impressive version of the Tornado.

Promising to say the least. With ProSlide's range more or less been and done it's good that they're expanding into new territory rather than trying to one-up WhiteWater World's versions of the same slides. I must say I've always been intrigued by the Sidewinder since it first came out several years ago, but with that said there's a handful of other attractions I'd pick ahead of it because it does just seem like a smaller and less impressive version of the Tornado.
Hmmm, not quite, WWW does pretty much finish of the range with their upcoming rides, but there still are things they could try. One thing that has caught my eye is the Tornado Tantrum (See the vid at http://www.proslide.com/sub.php?mainRideID=1&rideID=4 ), essentially what you'd get if you mixed one of those mini tornadoes with a dark mammoth slide. And of course, there are a few of those extreme slide types, like the body slide version of a toilet bowl, and turbo tunnels. Though, it is a bit dissapointing, that for a lot of parks, it has reached a stage where their only hope for a new attraction is to wait for what new slide proslide brings to the table. That said, it's should still be pretty fun, but the main reason I'm all for it is because its more capacity for the park. Edited by Gazza

That's really my point -- most of the new stuff ProSlide is coming out with these days is just variations and amalgamations of their existing concepts. Nothing wrong with that as such, but these two water parks are fairly unique given how close the competition is, so for either to get ahead of the other, it'll take something alternative, which is where other manufacturers like Waterfun can hopefully step in. Unfortunately I don't think there's much pressure on the industry because there aren't too many examples of competition like WWW/WnW out there in need of alternative manufacturers for novel attraction styles and ProSlide well and truly has the market cornered. Obviously there's still lots on offer from ProSlide that would be new to Australia and no question they've most definitely earned their popularity as a ride manufacturer, but the majority of it has that feeling of familiarity, especially in the context of the two Gold Coast parks. If it were up to me, Wet'n'Wild would be decked out with basically the entire ProSlide range, because capacity-wise the park needs it, but I think increasingly we'll see the park really competing with alternatives to ProSlide, like SurfRider or evidently this Sidewinder.

bviously there's still lots on offer from ProSlide that would be new to Australia and no question they've most definitely earned their popularity as a ride manufacturer, but the majority of it has that feeling of familiarity, especially in the context of the two Gold Coast parks.
While they do have really innovative products, and have taken a huge chunk of the market, one big issue I have with them is that their products weather really poorly. If you look at WWW and WnW, their proslide rides have faded quite a lot, meanwhile the Whitewater West slides in the water play areas look as good as day one.
I think increasingly we'll see the park really competing with alternatives to ProSlide, like SurfRider or evidently this Sidewinder.
Yeah, definitley, I think it is really important the parks find points of difference, and really try to exploit it. I mean, simply theming stuff could be one way...if you look at the Disney waterparks, their slides are largely the most run of the mill types, but it is the act of theming that sets them apart. The other way, as you said is to perhaps look outside of the waterslide box, things like splash battles and splash party coasters seem like a good direction to go in.

I tend to think whats been hinted at here is really the best way for WnW to go. I think its almost at the point where a new slide isn't going to be much of a motivator anymore. Surely now there's 30 slides in the park, the law of diminishing returns has to be kicking in a bit, and I think the way WnW should go is the way of becoming more of a "Water Theme Park" rather then pure water park. Things like what Gazza mentioned above, or even rides like SS-Arrow's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtJRCtxPx0, or a simple Shoot the Chutes would fit in quite well. Even a normal Top Spin with water fountains wouldn't be out of place, and don't tell me that other normal flat rides couldn't be made into water rides as well. The other obvious thing about all this is over winter the water features could be turned off, and hey presto, you've got some dry rides to market over winter, and hopefully something to keep guests in the park longer. That's aside from having something different, and relatively high capacity, to market over summer to pack 'em in.

Edited by joz

I don't quite know if I like this proposed addition. I mean from picture at the top of the article makes the ride look really cheap IMO mainly becuase it looks like they have used wood on the back where the ride slopes up. Also as many have stated it would deliver roughly the same eperience as tornado. I also think the ride looks ugly as the chute goes from tiny then increases out into a massive half pipe. I think somethng like h2o Disco would be best. :blink: Cheers,

No, its steel, I'm not sure where you can see timber. The ride does look a bit dirty, but in Hawaii everything from buildings to light posts seem to have have rust coloured stains on them (I'm guessing it is something to do with the local environment/weather) have a look at the other slides in the park to see what I mean. Appearance wise, it seems pretty functional, the reason why it at the bottom it is narrower is because rafts don't reach that point anyway, so why waste money on materials you don't need. I too wouldn't have minded seeing a H20 Disco type ride, but this should be decent anyway. One thing to note is that the manufacturer make a few versions, including one with more of a normal water slide at the start and finish, I think that would be a good way to flesh it out and differentiate it from Tornado. Edit: Close up of slide where you can see the construction method. post-88-1213427924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gazza

No, its steel, I'm not sure where you can see timber.
I only said it looks like wood ;) Why I said this is that the pieces of steel all lined up at the back look like boards of wood. Also what I meant by the ride looks ugly as the chute goes from tiny then increases out into a massive half pipe is where the rider first slide into the half pipe. I think should curve out instead of forming right angles.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably due to the water stuffing around with the sensors. That ride was constantly plagued with maintenance issues so it's not really a surprise to see this happen. Sorry for the lack of posting, but i'm currently in a caravan at the Redcliffe show grounds preparing for the redcliffe show before traveling up north for work.

do we know whether they are putting in the MK1 or MKIII would love to see something like the MKIII, looks fair good from what gazzas link says... do the sidewinder bit, and then go down a slide and end up in a splash pool. also it seems you can have more than one of these off the one platform, does anyone know whether they are doing just the one or maybe 2 of these (from the peg layout it looks like one, but you never know)

Well, some minor stuff is happening, a fence has gone up around the Extreme Volleyball Zone and there are a bunch of pegs in the ground. In other news, the water jets on Surfrider are off permanently now for some reason.
They were off when I was there a month ago, but I just thought that was because it was raining that day, and that it was almost winter.

As mentioned by others, the Sidewinder design seems almost identical to the Tornado and I don't see how the experiences on either ride would be different. This worries me, as it seems as though WnW are constructing a new ride merely for the sake of having a new ride to market, causing a rushed decision for the slide type. I'm guessing that this slide is going to have a bit of trouble attracting guests, essentially being half of the adjacent attraction. I may become less concerned, though, if one of the more different designs (as pointed out by Gazza) were used. This would probably be enough to overshadow the similiarites that the Tornado and Sidewinder share.

In other news, the water jets on Surfrider are off permanently now for some reason.
Well that's stupid. The water jets were the only feature that vaguely linked this coaster with its waterpark setting. Now it has nothing. It is just a dry rollercoaster in a waterpark which is a weird mix. I would be majorly disappointed if they added the Sidewinder slide too. It really is a poor man's Tornado

I for one saw this ride on a waterpark special years ago and thought it looked awesome. I think it would be very different from the tornado because it was ridden on 1 person tyres I think where you are lying down. This gives you more control over how much you slide around I guess. This is also the reason why I wish they would bring in the pro-silde bowl where, the body slide version. We have got the one on a 4 person tube at WWW but that is boring I think the body slide version would be much more fun, again you feel the slide more and have control over your sliding

For insurance reasons I don't think we'll see WnW build the body version of the bowl simply because the risk of injury is just too great. They really should step up to the plate and go with something like WnW in Orlando is doing with the Brain Wash and Disco slides. I think disco H20 would be the most obvious choice. Of course just because its been aproved with council as a Sidewinder it doesn't mean that's what the model of ride is called. That could just be the name WnW has given it. But you're right, given that the slides on Mach 5 are already called sidewinder, it may very well be the model of slide. I guess time will tell.

From the Myfun Survey:

Double sidewinder slides! Welcome to the future of waterslides. This wicked ride is "on the edge" of innovation and design. The Sidewinder is a unique combination wet/dry raft ride that propels riders from side-to-side in single, double or triple person rafts.
The pic showed a pair installation (same pic can be seen on the Waterfun Products website, so no point uploading it) so I guess how that differs to Tornado. Names to pick from were: Kamakaze Manta Ray Tsunami Aqua Plunge Tidal Plunge Hydro Rush Chaos Avalanche Cliff Hanger Edited by Gazza