More Wonderland Memorabilia in unusual places...

Ok, so I got told to get out of the house for a few hours, and I took a leisurely drive (4 hours) up the mountains, across the peak, and back down toward north Richmond. I used to live up that way, and remembered as a Kid going horseriding a lot. I remembered it was within walking distance from our old house, so I figured I could find it if I drove that way a bit. Low and Behold, I found the old Valley View Trail Rides, on Grose Vale Road, just south of North Richmond (which funnily enough is west of Richmond). What greeted me as I entered the driveway was something that made me jam on the brakes, and as I delved further into the property, I realised that while not much else has changed, there has been quite a few additions. Apparently, the woman who owns the place spent close to $70,000 on stuff from wonderland. She also has lights from the front entry, and HB\Transylvania, which she will use in her expansion plans for her business (no photos). Apparently, there are plans for a wildlife park etc. In the photos below are: Entry for Beastie (including a close up shot of the cabling area in the back - can't quite make out all the writing), a miscellaneous roof structure from somewhere in the park (anyone know where?), the paddleboats (obviously), so many bin cages it isn't funny. The bollards near the bins i'm pretty sure are from the front of the park, and there is two old mine-carts that are now used as legs for a table by the barbecue. I also found out she bought WL-X! Bussy - Daniel - there is a pic in there of the WL-X carriage - currently being re-sprayed. A couple of wooden cut-outs from Goldrush area, and there is the mini-fencing from HB that used to be on top of the brickwork in HB, and the last is some additional fencing, all in the same drab green wonderland used a lot - it is weird in its layout and construction, and all piled up, so I'm not sure where it is from, but it was all curved rail... any ideas? See below:

post-152-1214637753_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214637871_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214637893_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214637919_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214637952_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214637997_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638028_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638058_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638082_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638116_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638142_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638176_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638208_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638238_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638296_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638318_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638352_thumb.jpg

post-152-1214638381_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlexB

Very Interesting find, good work I must say. Could that un-known roof be from the old Kodak Photo Shop at the park entry? Anyone have any photo's of that building in it's original form? Just on the Wonderland Xpress, did you catch sight of the other un-sprayed carriages, or even the main vehicle?

Ah yes, what a pain in the rear end the old lady was. Every other day during the dismantle of the park she would be there. We would see her car up at security and all of us would scatter like mice. She wanted everything it all started with ALL the Billabong Grove shelters and quickly spread across the park. Nice old thing though just annoying. Towards the end she bought in frozen roast legs for a few of us (there was only myself and two or three others left at this stage) I knew of where she took it all as Alex said up at North Richmond and a few years ago I ventured up there drove down her drive a bit, saw some of the old park but then got out of there for fear of being stuck there the rest of the day talking to her. The green tubular steel is from the roof/shadecloth structure from the freshwater croc area in the WLP. That kangaroo coming out of the bin is pretty trick!

Edited by djsupersleuth

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...... I do love the description - almost exactly how i would have described her. Esther is a very nice old lady, heart of gold, and do anything for you if she could, but she can talk your ear off. It had been so long since I'd been up there I wanted to ask permission to take photos because I didn't think they would remember me (we used to "work" up there in school holidays"). So - asking permission to take photos, asking permission to take photos............ and 90 minutes after saying hello to her, I was able to get my camera out of the car.... I guess thats enough said about talking your ear off eh?

Edited by AlexB

• 3 weeks later...

I know Esther, I used to be in a band and we played at her place a few times at events she had on and yeah she would talk forever... she is hilarious , she would always come with these totally bizarre ideas for things that you would never see coming in a million years .. funny stuff... so is Valley View Trail Rides still open for riding ?

There have been many users in the past that have been making ridiculous or offensive posts that have ended up as guests and not banned users, so I think you are right, Gazza. :D Thanks Gazza. Now all I need is another 3,000 good jokes in posts and I'll be just like you.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just wondering that whether or not anyone here in these forums has a park map from the place??? And also on the topic of wonderland being all run down and all my "friend" thinks that he can bring back the park by taking back what everyone has already bought at that auction but ive been trying to crush his dreams but its not working any tips??????????? :unsure::blink::mellow::(

• 4 weeks later...

Wow great find, I remember riding on beastie and when it got to the tall peak, I looked onto my right and I saw a dumping ground of old structures etc and always wondered what they were for lol. I am amazed at the kelly gang woman cutout thing, I always thought it was a whole structure so I'm guessing that the old lady cut the characters out lol. I remember getting my pic with my grandmother and cousin one day inside those cutouts I am guessing this was in 2000. I'm glad the lady tried to save as much as she could lol.