The Off Topic Topic

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is from the Queensland's Police website:

Charges in relation to stolen penguin, Gold Coast APRIL 15, 2012, 6:36 PM Three men have been charged after allegedly stealing a penguin from a Gold Coast aquarium. Police believe the men allegedly gained access to the enclosure at a Main Beach address overnight. Information from a member of the public led police to an Aqua Street, Southport address where they took the men into custody earlier this afternoon. All three men, a 18-year-old, an 20-year-old and a 21-year-old, have been charged with one count each of trespass, stealing and unlawfully keep protected animal, an offence under the Nature Conservation Act. A search is underway of the Broadwater for the penguin, named Dirk. Police are urging anybody who may have seen the penguin to not approach him, and contact them or Parks and Wildlife.

Full article: http://qpsmedia.govs...uin-gold-coast/ Which other aquarium has penguins?

I didn't want to post my thoughts about this in the penguin thread, but I will here:

I think the Gold Coast Bulletin has (not surprisingly for them) missed the point a bit. Maintenance happens, it’s the reality of having year round parks instead of seasonal parks, and the Bulletin hasn’t had an issue with this before. Obviously half the rides aren't closed, and why Dreamworld gets a mention at all is a bit of a mystery given everything there is open. This is clearly a Village issue, and I'd say even more precisely, this is a Sea World issue.

The reason that people have the perception that the park is closed is because when you visit Sea World there are only 2 'rides' open, Jet Rescue and the Flume. The rest are either transport rides which don't register in people's minds, or rides which mostly appeal to kids. What also hurts is when you see train tracks for a train that (for some reason) doesn't run anymore, a big rusting shell of a ride in the form of Bermuda (not visibly a construction site, just a rotting ride), and a spot in Beach Break Bay where there clearly used to be a ride. When you throw into Corkscrew and Skyway being closed for legitimate reasons (Maintenance and wind respectively) the overall feel is the park is pretty much closed. It's only 2 rides that are closed but it feels like 5 to the first time guest. Returning guests will also notice the absence of Pirate Ship and the Aquarium under guest services that is closed for good so that's 6 attractions gone. They’ve still got the animal exhibits and shows which are great, but they also have a nasty perception that they have a ton of closed attractions. That needs work. There is talk that things are finally happening with Bermuda but it’s been sitting there closed for 2 years now, people notice these things.

There's a reason that when we do a parkz update we include photos of shuttered attractions and facilities; It's not just nit-picking, it's something which changes the perception of the park for guests, and we point it out to say "We've noticed, other guests will notice". All these little cues add together and make for a park that feels like it's sad and rundown.

Over at Movie World the problem isn't nearly as bad, people whinge about Movie World more on here though because they don't visit Sea World often and don't know what a park that's been in decline for 4 years really looks like. The Looney Tunes Show building blights the landscape sure, but to the first time guest it doesn't scream out "closed ride", and TBH I’d be surprised if most guests noticed it. It's certainly not even approaching the same level as Bermuda. Marvin's Rocket Ride has been pretty well hidden, and there are only a couple small clues that give away a ride was ever there, and Bat Ride is closed but they’re building something new there, that when it opens I reckon will well and truly ‘fix’ any lingering negative perception MW has. Also just to add to that; People don't complain when they see construction, they complain when they see closed rides and for the most part you don't see that at MW.

As for staff cutting at WnW, they got called out for being cheap and so they should. It's the service industry they're in, and the park is basically empty but cut staff so much it resulted in long lines. Do they not want the guests they have to not come back next year either? Whirlpool springs being closed is pretty piss-poor and the Terror Canyon slides are still there, that perception of things being closed is therefor also there.

Ultimately it’s not for us to say how they should run their parks, but consumers are allowed their opinion, and when there is a ton of negative opinion out there, I’d suggest that something should be done differently. Open the train at SW, drop the water park fee permanently (I’m sure they could give the water park to resort guests and theme park guests for free, one does not rule out the other), and doing something with Bermuda are all good places to start for SW.

Joz mentioned it briefly in the SW Penguin thread but I thought it deserved a bigger mention. post-318-0-36295800-1337164224_thumb.jpg It has also been posted online it is slightly different online, the part that was published in the paper about Bemuda being under construction has been removed (since it is inaccurate I guess)

This article was very stupid. I mean come on, parks have got to do there maintenance eventually. Kinda rude how they can just diss on the parks like that without thinking logic. There isn't even many closes anyway from what they copied into the article. Even if there is a lot it's stretched out months and has been over exaggerated just a tad.. I guess it's kinda disappointing but you can't complain when it's clearly stated on the website. If you're going to whine about it after your visit, it's not the parks fault! It's obviously the people who don't check up on these things before spending the money. Edited by kujotess

When you look at what is scheduled at the top of the article you can see its one ride at a time generally and none during peak periods, unless something unexpected happens, which forces the closure, i.e. Sea Viper! I personally feel SW is one of the prettiest parks on the GC and one of the most enjoyable and relaxing for the fact you really can forget about everything else and just 'chill out', and its a shame to have seen it in decline as Joz said for 4 years. Although we have seen some good from the park, the new parade, the jet-ski show getting back to some resemblance of what first started SW in the form of the Ski Show, Penguin Encounter and the battle boats in the former water park section, which for some reason the name now escapes me. However, for guests the bad is outweighing the good with as Joz said visibly rides SBNO and ones where people go I remember something here last time but where did it go. AKA Pirate Ship stands out to me, on the edge of the lake it was one of the first things guests saw, revisiting guests would surely notice the vacant grassy spot. I understand BT was closed as the website states to "make way for a new attraction" and I understand that because we get something new and I have faith it will be excellent, but it has been a long time in between drinks. The same goes for other things in the park such as the train and a monorail train that has been decommissioned but not replaced. I've said it about other parks and I'll say it again, these places aren't getting smaller or less busy, every year they are seeing more people go through their gates, taking out rides, with obvious visibility an attraction used to stand on that site is not helping spread crowds around. I know we've seen new additions, but new additions don't take the strain off the park in peak times when others shut down or loose their capacity with no replacement. ^^^The article said work had started on BT, you said there was talk Joz, has anyone seen anything, is it just getting gutted, or was that just what SW said to The Bulletin so they wouldn't look too bad. I for one, hope the park really does see a beautiful turnaround, and can be returned to my favourite simply for the beauty. I don't know what it is but it was our first theme park and it just has something magical to it I can't explain or put my finger, but everything is going it just "works" and I hope to see this returned. I remember going there when I was young and they had out the front while you stood in the ticket queue line some guys playing these drums, I think they are called, Trinidadian, but it just gave it this special holiday feel and for me that is really what SW is all about. Another thing from the article I noticed was some comments seemed to say how frustrated people were with the time it takes to load guests at our parks; I feel the same way sometime I just look at the loading process and think 'surely there has to be a quicker way?' Sometimes urgency wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Edited by Original

I'd quote but work's browser doesn't support half the forum features... in relation to Joz's comments - LTRR has been well hidden - even going so far as to turn the queueline into a 'coaster viewing area' was genius (even if you can't see much of the riders). They have handled that well. In relation to WnW - the staff cutting is unforgiveable, but still understandable. Wonderland used to run rides on an 'alternate' hour to save staff costs, but in relation to whirlpool, didn't it used to be hot-spas in the winter, and an actual 'whirlpool' in the summer? I think they've gotten seriously lazy with that one - obviously it took some effort to 'convert' the attraction each season, but that's what it was there for. In recent times, they've simply closed it off during winter and left it. piss-poor is agreed. Lastly - They can't open the train at SW anymore. Have you seen what they've done, especially to the tracks near the crossing next to flume? I don't think poorly of them for leaving the tracks in - it is at great expense, and little to gain from removing the tracks, unless they're ready to build something right on top of them. Some of the members here will throw something at me for saying this, but the train is dead. Any attempt to resurrect it would be futile.

In relation to the Marvin Rocket - I was there last week and they have finally "Hid" the fact that a ride used to be there, They have built a wall covering the ride area and painted it with a looney tunes mural and place the fibreglass daffy duck there as a sort of "photo-op", The control booth and queue buildings now blend into the mural painting aswell. The last few times i went they still had a sign up saying this ride is closed,

Edited by rac2703

Lastly - They can't open the train at SW anymore. Have you seen what they've done, especially to the tracks near the crossing next to flume? I don't think poorly of them for leaving the tracks in - it is at great expense, and little to gain from removing the tracks, unless they're ready to build something right on top of them. Some of the members here will throw something at me for saying this, but the train is dead. Any attempt to resurrect it would be futile.

I agree it's pointless trying to resurrect it, but, quick set concrete is pretty cheap at bunnings, and it wouldn't take much to seal the crossings to make it a little less obvious in the main guest sections. Plus removing the main stations wouldn't be all that hard either.

Not sure where else to put this... Went to MW today. Green Lantern was a one cycle wait time. All cars being used had audio turned off but the two not in use had it turned on. When I queried the attendant he seemed surprised it hadn't been turned on. Arkham Asylum was walk on. All seats were being used. Still no audio. Superman did not open until a little after 11:00am from what I heard from other guests. No test runs occured prior to 10:45am, and guests were informed for this hour or so that they would be opening soon. I am curious as to why the park has started not opening the lockers for rides (Superman and Green Lantern) until they open the queue. This is a bit of a punishment for people who go on their own as they then spend time they could be in queue at the lockers first thing in the morning. Scooby Doo was the longest wait time, all of 20 minutes. Probably as it is the only indoor ride and it was on and off raining. Wild West was walk on. Nothing out of the ordinary. HWSD... what to say... We walked in 5 minutes before show start and they still had not opened the first 2 sections of seating and were instead feeding people into the already full other end. Keep in mind my wife is 7 and a half months pregnant. I queried about waiting to sit in that area and the attendant informed us we had to proceed to the other end. Once we got there, we turned around to see that they had opened the first two sections... Anyway, we sat in the front "reserved" row of the last section as stairs are currently an issue for my wife with her history of knee issues and her current condition. We were the only people sitting in this row when the show started. The attendant that crosses to the far end walked past us, looked at us and then proceeded to tell us that this area was for people with a disability or in a wheelchair... Reverse chassis car is still MIA. Bowser flame did not occur. On Saturday morning the final "jump" malfunctioned, with the car going about 2 metres out of the wall, backwards, stalling, going halfway across, stalling and then completing the arc to the other side. This morning instead of racing onto the roof the hero car instead doubled back out and drove under the screen to the right side so Marty could drive the car out and explosions and so on could occur. After the show we headed to the Roxy for JTTCOTE3D, waited 5 minutes to ride Superman, walked on Batwing. Whole park was done in a little over 1 hour 45 minutes. Received confirmation from one of the managers who look after MW, SW, WnW, who I have known for the last 11 years, that yes the image on their fb is from the Batman building and that they are hoping to have it reopened for the September school holidays.

Amazing what a difference a few days makes or crowds! I was at the park with the family on Saturday and it was pretty busy but the HSD show was pretty well flawless (apart from reverse car missing). You did well to find a manager still responsive for all 3 parks with the business split several years back.

• rappa locked this topic