The Off Topic Topic

Ok, try this. I think this was the layout. I don't know where the other station was but the main one is in green. At the top of the map (resort) the big blue circle is where (I think) a water tank now sits. The old crossing near Dominos, I believe has been filled with concrete (Circled - and gates have been replaced with wooden fence) The sections between the blue lines are in pretty bad shape I think. Feel free to make corrections (Photo is 5mb by the way)

post-2613-0-11089000-1337508711_thumb.jp

If memory serves me right, wasn't there three stations, one outside the Sea Lion Theatre, one for the water park and another one for the resort?? I always thought, if there was enough room, for a station where the coaster are. Would also give a point of difference to the monorail, if the train line was ever brought back.

Original is correct (enough). There is a grassy area between the resort and the Dolphin Cove stadium that was used for a short while as a drop off spot in the half hour leading up to shows. It was only used for a short while, I suspect it was abandoned as a station because it is such a long way down off the train to the grass. The water park station closed when the train carriages had doors installed on the left side, making the water park station on the right side of the train unaccessible. I do agree that a Resort station would be cool, but it does have the disadvantage that the train would either have to cross the service road for a station on the other side of the road, or the carriages would have to be altered and then the guests would have to cross the road.

As for the ride corridor, many parts of the track have been concreted over, there are a few fences built over the tracks, and a shed for the Sponge bob floats has been built (mystifyingly) near the seal stadium. The fences and a bit of concrete aren't really the sort of thing that renders a return of the ride impossible, and the fences are again, hardly permanent. The shed to me could (and should) be moved to the front of the park on the Eastern side of the lake since that’s closer to where the show actually happens. It would mean that the floats wouldn’t have to be taken around the park in full view of guests and the techs that drive the floats for an hour and a half everyday could do something useful instead, and as an added aside, it reopens the path for the train.

Original is correct (enough). There is a grassy area between the resort and the Dolphin Cove stadium that was used for a short while as a drop off spot in the half hour leading up to shows. It was only used for a short while, I suspect it was abandoned as a station because it is such a long way down off the train to the grass. The water park station closed when the train carriages had doors installed on the left side, making the water park station on the right side of the train unaccessible. I do agree that a Resort station would be cool, but it does have the disadvantage that the train would either have to cross the service road for a station on the other side of the road, or the carriages would have to be altered and then the guests would have to cross the road.

As for the ride corridor, many parts of the track have been concreted over, there are a few fences built over the tracks, and a shed for the Sponge bob floats has been built (mystifyingly) near the seal stadium. The fences and a bit of concrete aren't really the sort of thing that renders a return of the ride impossible, and the fences are again, hardly permanent. The shed to me could (and should) be moved to the front of the park on the Eastern side of the lake since that’s closer to where the show actually happens. It would mean that the floats wouldn’t have to be taken around the park in full view of guests and the techs that drive the floats for an hour and a half everyday could do something useful instead, and as an added aside, it reopens the path for the train.

Thanks Joz. Whilst they aren't huge obstacles for the re-opening of the Train as a ride, it DOES seem to point to the park not having any real intention of ever doing so. The question to ask, I suppose is why? These obstacles (The fencing, the small areas of concreting, the shed) are all brought about by the Park. If they were ever serious about keeping the Train as an attraction, surely the Park would have ensured that its route was free to continue in this role?? As an aside Joz, do we also know of the fate of the train itself?? Is it still in Seaworld?? Perhaps under the Seaviper station??

I did a quick search but didn't find anything solid so i'll bring it back up - was there ever anything concrete about the train's closure? Looking back on memories from years ago I don't know too many more nostalgic moments from my time at Sea World then waiting at the train crossing waiving to people on the train as they pass by. And i'm by no means a train-lover, but the atmosphere having those sort of attractions in a theme park, particularly a family-orientated park, tend to offer a sort of timelessness that only an attraction that was already a nod to an era gone can really deliver. So much so, sometimes you don't need to ride it, much like teens wouldn't be riding the kid's rides, to appreciate what it offers to the overall experience to guests. It makes me think what kind of park Dreamworld would be like without its trains, although with Dreamworld, I think if anything they would remove the main train station, replace it with a really lacklustre thrill ride, that way it's as close to the front as possible, and the sort of thrill ride Village Roadshow will outdo within a year anyway, and they would just relocate the train to a smaller, more circular track somewhere as far gone to the back of the park in Australian Wildlife Experience as possible. Oh shi, they've already tried that before.

Edited by Slick

Originally I was given an excuse that it was to do with the sensors tripping when they got wet. That excuse was also given for MDMC but I was told that supposedly changed. I have no idea if that info is correct or not, that's just what I was told in the park one time by staff. I doubt it to be true though.

I have heard that about the sensors for TOT as well. They are super sensitive. Now with the tunnel u would assume it would be ok.

In saying that, yes I see your point, but the water on the tower has to run somewhere and it wouldn't take much to hit the sensors then. Maybe there is sensors at the top e-brake run that still get tripped?

Doesn't operate in the wet because the combination of rail design/speed means the wheels slip, hydroplane and bald easily, which back in the day wasn't exactly cheap given the dimension of the main wheels. Because of that, when it did stop raining operators would literally swab down the track before re-opening, which is no small job, so you can imagine having a tunnel in place, however rediculously gawdy and over the top, means that they can open the ride back up faster when the rain finishes. Edited by Slick

Hi, Just a random thought that I believe Movie World or Sea World could pick up. Dreamworld already have this type of entertainment but I actually hate it. If you haven't guessed by now, a walt disney's World Of Color type lagoon show. Every character that WBMV explores can be placed in an exciting seasonal lagoon show full of jets of water and spray curtains. Australian's have not really seen anything like this before, other than overseas and will love it, in my opinion. I have been thinking about it in my head, the type of sequences it could go through with superman fighting Lex Luthor on a spray screen with red and blue fountains dancing around below. If VRTP do have that cash left in their kitty and they have sorted out Justice league and Looney Tunes Movie World could begin to make a name for itself as a one of the best parks in the world, certainly behind Disney and Universal. Also, I wish VR would consider a Bolliger and Mabillard coaster. These are excellent crowd pleasers and Australia does not have any BIG coasters. And finally Movie World, wet n wild, paradise country and Outback spectacular should be made into a 4 'experience' family resort with a large transportation system (the sydney monorail?, or any other) and a couple of hotels. This would certainly boost attendance and make the tourism industry quite a lot of cash. What are your thoughts, I know these are a little far stretched but hey a person can dream! -Jacob (oh and I will be in the GC from 23-30 june if there is a meetup then I will be sure to come!)

Hi, Just a random thought that I believe Movie World or Sea World could pick up. Dreamworld already have this type of entertainment but I actually hate it. If you haven't guessed by now, a walt disney's World Of Color type lagoon show. Every character that WBMV explores can be placed in an exciting seasonal lagoon show full of jets of water and spray curtains. Australian's have not really seen anything like this before, other than overseas and will love it, in my opinion. I have been thinking about it in my head, the type of sequences it could go through with superman fighting Lex Luthor on a spray screen with red and blue fountains dancing around below. If VRTP do have that cash left in their kitty and they have sorted out Justice league and Looney Tunes Movie World could begin to make a name for itself as a one of the best parks in the world, certainly behind Disney and Universal. Also, I wish VR would consider a Bolliger and Mabillard coaster. These are excellent crowd pleasers and Australia does not have any BIG coasters.

Welcome Now to business. I highly doubt they have enough money to spend on something like that. Universal can't afford something like it, plus the show itself is highly unreliable. Also all the parks on the gold coast are basiclly out of room, except for Dreamworld. On the matter of the coasters. Well all but Dreamworld can't really increase the size of the roller coasters, So it is unlikely we will have a massive footprint coaster, plus most of the park overseas don't have coasters much bigger then the few we have here anyway.

Hell of a long monorail track from Oxenford to The Spit

He never said anything about the monorail going to sea world.

I did say it was a bit of a stretch but I can wait, I know how expensive these things are World of Color peaking at $500 million? I find that difficult to comprehend but I guess disney would go to any lengths to make their mark on history even better. As far as a large scale ride such as a B&M, they are super expensive I know, maybe a MACH smaller ride like manta in sea world San Diego? I wish VRTP purchased more land originally but there is quite a bit of land in the inner section between Wet n wild and Movie World (with the exception of Outback Spectacular) that could be used. I know I am dreaming here now, but oh well :) There is a lot of space around the sound stages I noticed on Nearmap. Hmm I don't know, anyone else got other thoughts?

• rappa locked this topic