The Off Topic Topic

Well World Of Color cost Disney 75-88 million plus to build. That puts it up there with some of the most expensive theme park attractions. Universal could afford to build it but it wouldn't be in the best interests for the park, as a ride like Transformers could bring in more money for the same cost. Also Disney has stated that running cost for the show are a lot bigger then they expected. Originally they thought it would be cheap to run as there was no actors or pyro. The running costs soared when they added in the huge amount of security they need for crowd control. Also maintenance has been a money killer.

Edited by Cruiseshipfan

I think the only place you're getting a 'world of colour' style attraction is at Sea World - and the resort has a 'budget' version in their waterpark already. You could install a system in the lake - but you'd have to position it carefully or cancel the boat show. WOC has fixtures installed in it that lower during the day and raise to the surface for showtime - this would be viable for SW, but expensive. The biggest hurdle you're trying to overcome in our parks for that experience is that they aren't open late enough for the show to have the impact that WOC does. I realise DW opens late for their Illuminate show - but it's not worth spending the money on the hardware if it's only going to be used sparingly... the parks would need to run the show every day for it to be worth the investment. Having said that - they could go with something like http://www.waltzingwaters.com/ - these guys do temporary\permanent installations, and can make a display to suit any style \ size \ budget. It'd be nice for any of our parks to do it, but without a frequent 'late night' trading option - none of them will get the value out of it.

^ Which I've always thought our parks should do some sort of late trading hours, especially in summer. MW could always work something like DCA's Mad T Party, you can then get ticket sales late at night, people will buy food and drink for the night time as well as merchandise for the event especially if they are all having a good time by the entertainment provided.

But movieworld already have some late-night events - Hallowe'en Fright Nights and White Christmas. This already brings in massive (read: sellout or over-capacity) crowds that throng to the park, and all they need to do is have some smoke \ snow machines, and some fancy outdoor coloured lights. I've said before on these boards i'd like to see the parks (movie world especially) put on more 'seasonally themed' night shows. I can't recall them all and can't search for them at work - but why not 'valentines' for february, 'christmas in july' (obviously - for july) - the Christmas in July one is easy anyway - the 'christmas' stuff just gets rolled out again. I'd like to see one night, or one long weekend a month where they do late-opens. Having said that, the investment put into these night-time attractions is still a big one - but not the millions we're talking about for a viable watershow like WOC. For starters - MW doesn't really have anywhere they could do it - and before you mention the Wild West 'lake' (which would be a perfect setting in my opinion) - the residents won't allow for that to happen. WOC was expensive - but it had a usable, man-made lake to utilise that had already been built. This kind of attraction needs to go into a 'venue' that already exists - like the SW lake. For those who want to see a 'decent' watershow that isn't disney - check out 'songs of the sea' on Sentosa Island in Singapore (i know it's corny, but it's still a good show). That show draws the crowds in, and I daresay - wouldn't have half the budget that WOC does. The difference between the two is Disney puts the show on for guests already in park, whereas Songs of the Sea is a separate admission fee - and yet they still draw the crowds night after night.

But movieworld already have some late-night events - Hallowe'en Fright Nights and White Christmas. This already brings in massive (read: sellout or over-capacity) crowds that throng to the park, and all they need to do is have some smoke \ snow machines, and some fancy outdoor coloured lights. I've said before on these boards i'd like to see the parks (movie world especially) put on more 'seasonally themed' night shows. I can't recall them all and can't search for them at work - but why not 'valentines' for february, 'christmas in july' (obviously - for july) - the Christmas in July one is easy anyway - the 'christmas' stuff just gets rolled out again. I'd like to see one night, or one long weekend a month where they do late-opens. Having said that, the investment put into these night-time attractions is still a big one - but not the millions we're talking about for a viable watershow like WOC. For starters - MW doesn't really have anywhere they could do it - and before you mention the Wild West 'lake' (which would be a perfect setting in my opinion) - the residents won't allow for that to happen. WOC was expensive - but it had a usable, man-made lake to utilise that had already been built. This kind of attraction needs to go into a 'venue' that already exists - like the SW lake. For those who want to see a 'decent' watershow that isn't disney - check out 'songs of the sea' on Sentosa Island in Singapore (i know it's corny, but it's still a good show). That show draws the crowds in, and I daresay - wouldn't have half the budget that WOC does. The difference between the two is Disney puts the show on for guests already in park, whereas Songs of the Sea is a separate admission fee - and yet they still draw the crowds night after night.

I have to agree with this. The idea of a regular "seasonally themed" late night event is quite a good one. These could initially be used to gauge the interest in regular late night Friday or Saturdays like AlexB talked about above. Our parks tend to lag behind overseas parks in this regard- extended hours well into the night is a common event and one that I feel would be welcome by the public at large!!! Imagine starting your day at one of the GC parks and finishing it well into the evening after a big day experiencing all the park has to offer. It works well for both Luna Parks and the ambience to be experienced at night would be brilliant!!! ( I actually prefer to vist LPS in the afternoon and experience it on a hot balmy Saturday evening with the lights and the atmosphere- you cannot beat it!!) I feel that it is just a matter of time before one of our parks goes down this route- and this will change the themepark landscape in Australia dramatically!! The average punter will feel like they are getting bigger bang for their dollar and the value perception will change enormously-if I had to choose between MW that shuts at 5pm or DW that shuts at say 10pm, I know which one I would choose- everytime!! I certainly hope an initiative like this will happen very soon-it will be a winner!! :)

^ that's just what I was saying our parks should do! I was saying I think MW could really pull something like the Mad T Party that just opened at Disney California Adventure. Put a bar in All Stars and have shows/bands/DJs in mainstreet with entertainment and the rest of the park has the rides going! SW have the whole lake to play with and not really have to worry about neighbours. WnW already open late in summer and DW have their front entry plaza to do some sort of late night offering. Also if you something like Mad T Party theme you'll get food and drink sales plus the sales from The bar at All Stars and then offer merchandise themed for the event, plus all the normal merchandise and create a profit off that!!

How did I not discover this till now? There's a rather cool Toy Story Mania knock off at Phantasialand in Germany called Maus Au Chocolat. Basically mice have taken over a cake factory, but you cant poison them because that would ruin the food, so instead you shoot chocolate cream out of a piping bag by pulling on a drawstring (instead of whatever the things on Toy Story Mania are supposed to resemble). The trains are 3 cars of 4, rather than 2 cars of 4 too. Edited by Gazza

• 3 weeks later...

So we welcomed our little man yesterday (26/06/2012). After a bit of a delay we had an extremely quick labour (3 hrs total). The midwife made the comment afterwards "He went from zero to one hundred in like two seconds." He has now been nicknamed Superman and will be wearing his superman suit we bought last week when we next head down there for photos with the Justice League group.

So we welcomed our little man yesterday (26/06/2012). After a bit of a delay we had an extremely quick labour (3 hrs total). The midwife made the comment afterwards "He went from zero to one hundred in like two seconds." He has now been nicknamed Superman and will be wearing his superman suit we bought last week when we next head down there for photos with the Justice League group.

post-29097-0-67808700-1340797868_thumb.j

Congratulations to Wyncenuros and your wife on the birth of your baby boy! You will now get to enjoy the theme parks in a whole new way. Seeing the joy on your kids face when you take them and they start venturing onto rides or meeting characters is priceless. And no kid, or Dad, forgets their first ride on a roller coaster with their father. You have lots of happy times (and not just theme park related) ahead. Enjoy every moment!

• rappa locked this topic