The Off Topic Topic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mkqux05624iv8i/IMG_1146.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a72b4gl6bkgcoqg/IMG_1143.JPG

These are two photos I took yesterday while at the park. It isn't intrusive, it would be nice if they did stylised versions of the licensed characters from the park, but given that they are artist's renditions, it would be hard to carry the licensing tag. I did find it a little cheap and nasty, but to be honest, the park needs more 'unique can't get anywhere' experiences and less generic 'we sell the same stuff in 7 different locations' type stuff... it also wasn't open yesterday, so my guess is - contractors, only work when it's busy, responsible for their own P&L and have to give MW a cut of sales. It's poor form to have this kind of activityitem available, and then not open it.

On that note - the 'dance-heads' shop has closed - and no sign of it remains:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpekecsk4vc0qrk/IMG_1158.JPG

I've a feeling a parkz update is coming soon because there have been a few changes in the park, so I won't spoil the rest of it, because I love the captions...

The smell from this shop... Walking down main street past it is like walking past a nail shop at a shopping centre. You would think that with paint fumes in a small place you would put in a ventilation fan or air purifier... Nope... One oscillating fan on the wall...

Quite a few people coming out commenting on the prices as well... $30 for a basic truckers cap with the front panels painted up to $50 for their most expensive... Of the 6 times we walked past saw only one get painted so either people are buying the generic ones from the shelves or they are not selling a lot.

Also, 1 hour wait for Superman, 45 mins for Scooby, Arkham, Green Lantern, 30 mins for Batwing, Wild West Falls, 2 load cycles for Justice League.

This got flung around recently, thought i'd share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fyHnZBrUWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My thoughts, the first half of the video was awesome, I mean, who doesn't want to ride Tornado as a single rider? But the last bit, who does dumb stuff like that in front of guests? I think it goes from cheeky mischief which is cool, to just dumb.

What i'm assuming was his last day as an employee (and presumably not coming back ever) why not have a little fun?

You definitely pay the price for doing it by burning bridges, but it's not like anyone else is going to follow his lead - you can't get back of house on the wave pool, and the operator isn't going to let you board the tornado - so it's not like guests will 'monkey see, monkey do'

Theme park cast members are normally people who work hard, and play harder. I remember numerous occasions where cast members got tossed into the lake at the end of their last day. Other things that were a little more against the rules shall go unmentioned. I don't condone it, and i don't suggest any member of the public attempt any of it ever... but after working in a place that is meant to be such a fun escape from everyday life, I won't begrudge an employee going out with a bang on their last day...

A big barrel that flexed as is it was about to explode, assorted explosives storage, sparks that supposedly were coming from electrical having being shot by the "ghost" halfway up the lift hill.

Also a puff of smoke and a gust of wind would go off just before you headed down the drop.

A big barrel that flexed as is it was about to explode, assorted explosives storage, sparks that supposedly were coming from electrical having being shot by the "ghost" halfway up the lift hill.

Also a puff of smoke and a gust of wind would go off just before you headed down the drop.

Thanks. I can understand why the got rid of the sparks, but they should have kept the smoke and wind. It's still a great ride though.

Sorry but want to voice my thoughts given themagician's comment above.

Thanks. I can understand why the got rid of the sparks, but they should have kept the smoke and wind. It's still a great ride though.

There is a fair bit of stuff over the years that has gone. Sure keep up to date ie. Willy Wonka -> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Gremlins -> Scooby Doo, Old Batman Ride -> JL3D, The Music Man Ice Cream Shop -> Ben & Jerry's, Daily Planet Building -> Storage and waiting area for performances at top of main street, etc but a little bit of nostalgia would be nice. They had Dorothy walking around yesterday so we watched Wizard of Oz when we got home, my 19 month old loved it and was dancing to the music.

It gives adults something to share with their kids from when they were little and makes them feel like kids again themselves.

Sure the park continues to wow with great additions, fantastic theming and clever special events and I am not complaining about that, but over the last 14 years I have held an annual pass or VIP pass a lot of the "movie magic" has disappeared. Maybe there isn't as much money in it, maybe outsourcing is the way to go to keep costs down and the park open and profitable, I don't know. What I do know is that while we are commenting on how terrible DW seems to be becoming and how the founders would be turning their heads at it, MW in a lot of ways has become a former shell of its old self. (Again not complaining about the current state)

My thoughts on things that could be done with minimal change to existing attractions...

They have the stage show building sitting not being used other than costume storage, last I saw the Maverick Set was still hidden back there behind the stage show facade... Dust it off and give it a bit of a run again, hell change the storyline and make it generic cowboys and Indians, or even a Wizard magic show with minimal change in theme and set dressing. (Speaking of "witch", the store in main street is no longer named after HP...) or the Hobbit... I don't know, just do something with it.

Each year on the anniversary of the park or PASS closing down run a similarly themed stunt show using the evo's as a nod to what was one of the longest running stunt shows in the world and a park staple for 18 years.

Hell why not go the whole hog and have the anniversary month of the park do a throw back to when the park first opened. Have a marching band lead the "big parade" playing 76 trombones, have Bonnie and Clyde hold up the bank again, bring out Gizmo, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe Le Pew, the old Redbird motorcycle and Batmobile, have Elvis, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison and Marilyn Monroe perform at the top of Main Street, show an old 3D movie in the Roxy Theatre, bring Neo, Trinity and the Agent Smiths back to fight in main street.

One of the few things they haven't changed is the Batman: Shadows of Gotham show. Batman Begins was almost 10 years ago, since then they had The Joker and Bane with their own personas and storylines. Using Bane, very little change would have to be made... Change from the microwave emitter to atomic weapon and voila! a new show with no change to the fight sequence (apart from maybe adding an actual fight between Batman and Bane instead of being sprayed with air freshener).

Most of the Justice League was brought back when the ride came back except their leader Superman. Even with 2 movies in the last decade he still has not been brought back. I remember reading on these forums a while back it had to do with some kid shooting a performer dressed as Superman thinking he would not be hurt... Let us take that as fact (not 100% sure it is but for the sake of argument), explain why Supergirl isn't affected by the same ruling... or Wonder Woman? Her bracers are shown in the cartoon series and the original tv series deflecting bullets. Green Lantern can use his ring to contain explosions and stop debris, the Flash has superhuman speed, why are they not affected by the same ruling since they could (theoretically) avoid a bullet in their own way? Batman has been shot more than his fair share in movies as well... While on the topic of Batman, can someone PLEASE fix the brakes on the Tumbler... You can hear it from the other end of Main Street as it squeaks its way along. Two hour job for one mechanic at the most and will mean that it doesn't appear Bruce Wayne is going broke and can't afford to keep the crime fighting equipment in top condition.

Wrap Up.

Yes, the park is amazing in its current form.

Yes, I think it was better in the past before it became (as I have stated in the past I have heard tourists at a hotel I used to work at) Coaster World.

No, I don't think they should have left everything as it was and not updated things to keep relevant (a business needs to do one thing above all else, make money).

No, their theming has not become worse, if anything they have shown it is getting better.

Yes, I do think that if DW was not doing such a

Start of sarcasm

wonderful

End of sarcasm

job down the road, the things at MW would not be slipping by.

No, this post is not going to please very many in these forums, but most of you know very few of my posts ever have (see watermark).

Yes, I welcome any constructive thoughts or ideas on the topic. I am [honesty] interested [/honesty] to see what you think.

I agree with what you have said. I enjoy all of the rides and the themeing is great on most of the rides. Most changes that have been made were for the better. I would like to see superman be brought back to the park. The only things I want the park to do is remove the old china town theming on Main Street and do something with the LTRR building. I'm sure I will think over a few other things, but that's the main things.

I agree as well.

Along the same lines an area I see Movie World as seriously lacking is in show quality. I've always thought at a park themed on movies there should be a greater range of shows and more of them.

Batman and Scooby Doo and parade are ok but a little tired and need some updating as mentioned above.

The Wild West show venue is terrible and maybe I'm a prude but I don't enjoy my kids watching all the double entendres and sexual undertones in it. I've always found it tacky.

The Looney Tunes show is cheap and nasty and again outdated. Last time we went the hosts on the video section were years past being on tv.

The stunt show was a great example of what MW shows should be. Slick and entertaining.

In my eyes the Dora show at Seaworld is better than the shows at MW in terms of production values and effort from the park. To me that is the same as if MW had a better marine creatures based show than SW does. Very strange.

Is Michael Croaker still calling the shots on shows?

When he was running the shows at Wonderland, I found Action Man to be reasonably slick, and of course Millennium Spellbinding was for obvious reasons, but the rest of the shows in the park - Blinky, Goldrush, and even the street performances were a little corny, and lacklustre.

I know he was involved in the development of the Fish Detectives show in Sea Lion Stadium, and that show is cringeworthy at best... but then he's obviously very involved with Fright Nights and White Christmas which come off with rave reviews... so i'm of two minds (and i'm sure someone more in the know could shed some better light on the subject.)

Some parks the world over have shows that have run for decades. Fantasmic. Main Street Electrical Parade had such a following, fans protested so much the park brought it back. Waterworld is close to or more than 20 years old at this point, but they still installed it in Singapore when it opened a few years back. And obviously PASS is the closest thing we have to it here... We need that sort of quality - in EVERY show...

Some of them have remained unchanged for years - even while AOS - notably the most expensive show to put on - has changed 3 times since it opened.

The Looney Tunes show is cheap and nasty and again outdated. Last time we went the hosts on the video section were years past being on tv.

You say that, but I don't think they have a show anymore. I think the last time they had it was just before Fright Night 2013. It was in the building where the Hill Billy 2 Maze was. I do agree though.

On the note on the western show near wild west falls, i think they should get rid of it. They should build a new building/area to the left of the ride, where they could have a good cowboy show. Maybe one similar to old Police Academy show, but based on cowboys and don't have the cars (just so that the shows will be different). A comedy cowboy styled show, which featured stunts, etc.

post-29557-0-93082600-1392249186_thumb.p

It could be put on the land just to the rid of wild west falls. Just an idea.

Edited by themagician

^ There used to be a comedy / stunt / cowboy show where the show stage is now. It was originally an outdoor stage and was later converted to an all weather stage with a new show based on the movie Maverick, which had a Wild West / Magic theme. The existing building is already more than adequate to once again host a show of this type.

^not to mention more appropriately themed to house a western show than a looney tunes show...

Perhaps they could take part of the LTRR building and convert into a show-stage for the LT kids show? It wouldn't have to be as big as the showstage, as I'm almost certain What's Up Rock doesn't attract nearly as big of an audience as they used to for some of the western shows...

They used to have a stage show for Looney Tunes where the Road Runner Rollercoaster now stands. It was then moved to where the main outdoor section of Superman now is. Then it was moved to the Show Stage area. They now only perform excerpts of it at the top of main street following the morning paid photo session with the Looney Tunes.

The Show Stage was originally a Western Stunt show which was open air. It was then enclosed and became the Maverick Grand Illusion Show. It also had a short run as an animal tricks and western show. It was then used for the tv show Cash Bonanza which was hosted by Larry Emdur. Following this it was then fitted with the current stage setup and had a Hollywood Legends Show featuring impersonators of Marilyn Monroe, Tom Jones, Elton John, Freddy Mercury, Tina Turner and Madonna performing some of their hits. It was then used to house the Looney Tunes Stage Show until they moved that to the top of main street in its current form. Last I saw it used was White Christmas for the carols.

Edited by Wyncenuros

• 2 weeks later...

Wyncenuros

Yes, I think it was better in the past before it became Coaster World.

Too True. And if they do the 'mini cars' ride it should be a family ride and not a kiddie ride. It should be more like 'The Indiana Jones Adventure' with a few thrills and enough appeal (and seating space) for adults, than a kiddie convoy thing.

post-2597-0-59869100-1393148755_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-98184400-1393148768_thumb.jp

Brad2912

Posted Today, 06:52 PM

Except the Indiana jones ride would take up probably 4x as much vacant room as the building that houses LTRR - so where would u fit it, and the cost of the Indiana jones ride was approximately $100m - which would almost be the costs of all movie worlds coasters combined.

Fair enough. There are plenty of companies that make transportation systems for dark rides, like Mack. They could always get Sally Corp back. I just don't want a ride where some kid is rubber neckin' my car all of the way. I'd prefer Mr Toad's Wild Ride to a so-called 'autopia'.

I don't agree with any of this. I understand how much sea world care for all there creatures. They never make them doing anything they don't won't to do. And most if not all of what they do is natural behaviours. I'm glad they don't have whales like America has. All there creatures were either born in captivity or to injured to return to the wild. If they closed sea world down who would look after the marine life that gets caught in nets or injured in the wild. Sea world is a vital part of South east Queensland and without it more sea creatures would die. I know people have their own opinions, but they need to realise that sea world cares.

It's funny how many people see a one sided documentary (either Blackfish or The Cove), and insist everyone else gets educated like them. I think at Sea World in Australia all they have is 'We don't like dolphins in captivity' because that's all they really can say, since Sea World's animals aren't from the wild, live longer lives than wild dolphins and suffer less stress in family groups at Sea World. Oh, and just to clarify this in case there is any doubt: There is a difference between a training session and feeding. If an animal doesn't do well at a training session, that session may be cut short, but the animal will still receive all it's food. Dolphins aren't starved as a training technique. These lies and others like them are a desperate ploy by people with an opinion to make you change yours.

Sorry but want to voice my thoughts given themagician's comment above.

There is a fair bit of stuff over the years that has gone. Sure keep up to date ie. Willy Wonka -> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Gremlins -> Scooby Doo, Old Batman Ride -> JL3D, The Music Man Ice Cream Shop -> Ben & Jerry's, Daily Planet Building -> Storage and waiting area for performances at top of main street, etc but a little bit of nostalgia would be nice. They had Dorothy walking around yesterday so we watched Wizard of Oz when we got home, my 19 month old loved it and was dancing to the music.

It gives adults something to share with their kids from when they were little and makes them feel like kids again themselves.

Sure the park continues to wow with great additions, fantastic theming and clever special events and I am not complaining about that, but over the last 14 years I have held an annual pass or VIP pass a lot of the "movie magic" has disappeared. Maybe there isn't as much money in it, maybe outsourcing is the way to go to keep costs down and the park open and profitable, I don't know. What I do know is that while we are commenting on how terrible DW seems to be becoming and how the founders would be turning their heads at it, MW in a lot of ways has become a former shell of its old self. (Again not complaining about the current state)

My thoughts on things that could be done with minimal change to existing attractions...

They have the stage show building sitting not being used other than costume storage, last I saw the Maverick Set was still hidden back there behind the stage show facade... Dust it off and give it a bit of a run again, hell change the storyline and make it generic cowboys and Indians, or even a Wizard magic show with minimal change in theme and set dressing. (Speaking of "witch", the store in main street is no longer named after HP...) or the Hobbit... I don't know, just do something with it.

Each year on the anniversary of the park or PASS closing down run a similarly themed stunt show using the evo's as a nod to what was one of the longest running stunt shows in the world and a park staple for 18 years.

Hell why not go the whole hog and have the anniversary month of the park do a throw back to when the park first opened. Have a marching band lead the "big parade" playing 76 trombones, have Bonnie and Clyde hold up the bank again, bring out Gizmo, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe Le Pew, the old Redbird motorcycle and Batmobile, have Elvis, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison and Marilyn Monroe perform at the top of Main Street, show an old 3D movie in the Roxy Theatre, bring Neo, Trinity and the Agent Smiths back to fight in main street.

One of the few things they haven't changed is the Batman: Shadows of Gotham show. Batman Begins was almost 10 years ago, since then they had The Joker and Bane with their own personas and storylines. Using Bane, very little change would have to be made... Change from the microwave emitter to atomic weapon and voila! a new show with no change to the fight sequence (apart from maybe adding an actual fight between Batman and Bane instead of being sprayed with air freshener).

Most of the Justice League was brought back when the ride came back except their leader Superman. Even with 2 movies in the last decade he still has not been brought back. I remember reading on these forums a while back it had to do with some kid shooting a performer dressed as Superman thinking he would not be hurt... Let us take that as fact (not 100% sure it is but for the sake of argument), explain why Supergirl isn't affected by the same ruling... or Wonder Woman? Her bracers are shown in the cartoon series and the original tv series deflecting bullets. Green Lantern can use his ring to contain explosions and stop debris, the Flash has superhuman speed, why are they not affected by the same ruling since they could (theoretically) avoid a bullet in their own way? Batman has been shot more than his fair share in movies as well... While on the topic of Batman, can someone PLEASE fix the brakes on the Tumbler... You can hear it from the other end of Main Street as it squeaks its way along. Two hour job for one mechanic at the most and will mean that it doesn't appear Bruce Wayne is going broke and can't afford to keep the crime fighting equipment in top condition.

Wrap Up.

Yes, the park is amazing in its current form.

Yes, I think it was better in the past before it became (as I have stated in the past I have heard tourists at a hotel I used to work at) Coaster World.

No, I don't think they should have left everything as it was and not updated things to keep relevant (a business needs to do one thing above all else, make money).

No, their theming has not become worse, if anything they have shown it is getting better.

Yes, I do think that if DW was not doing such a

Start of sarcasm

wonderful

End of sarcasm

job down the road, the things at MW would not be slipping by.

No, this post is not going to please very many in these forums, but most of you know very few of my posts ever have (see watermark).

Yes, I welcome any constructive thoughts or ideas on the topic. I am [honesty] interested [/honesty] to see what you think.

i also think the park was better in its early days as it was more based on the magic of movie makeing then it is today that said things do have to change to

i whould love if thay had left

warner brothers classics and the great gremlins adventure or even retheamed it but kept a dark ride and built the scooby doo spooky coaster in kids wb

and kept or retheamed LTRR as a new looney tunes dark ride

just the two main atractions i miss and feel the parks missing most

Edited by JeffreyMoore

• rappa locked this topic