The Off Topic Topic

^Well, if you were keen, Astro Orbitor (!), Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbit, Casey Jr Circus Train, Pooh, Honey I Shrunk the Audience and Tiki Room were the other gaps :P And over at DCA Monsters Inc, Golden Zephyr and I'ts tough to be a bug are the only gaps. Edit: I discovered did have a photo of the haunted mansion from an earlier trip on another hard drive, but it was just one of the side rather than the grand front...ah well, in it goes.

Edited by Gazza

^Man, some really awesome attractions have been premiering of late, another couple worth looking at are: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Islands of Adventure:

For those unfamiliar, guests sit on 'magical benches' which are really 4 person gondolas on the end of a robotic arm. The arm is attached to a base travels along a track, and the arm twists and turns the gondola past omnimax screens and real life sets. Even though the video above is a bit dark, it looks pretty amazing from the bits you can see. This is how the ride vehicles look in their entirety: abc123.jpg But guests only see this much: rv1.jpg At Universal Studios Japan their new Space Fantasy Mack spinning coaster looks really cool.
A Space Mountain beater?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one for DjRappa, since I know how much he loves this sort of stuff. At AquaStudios water park in Italy there is this ride called Twin Peaks, which is like a master blaster without water jets, you just go down a big drop, and over a hill, but completley with your own kinetic energy: http://www.canevaworld.it/aquaparadise/percoraggiosi.php But look what happens when the airtime just becomes too much :o

• 1 month later...

Saw a guy selling the potato twist cutter at Eumundi markets a few weeks ago. $14.95 for a big one, small one, and two magic peeling machines also. I suppose there would be a machine that would do the twist cuts a bit faster and easier, so $3.95 is a VERY reasonable price for such a thing, and I think this would make it the cheapest food in the park, would it not?

• 1 month later...

Some news from a couple of weeks ago about the fate of half of Adrenalin Park. They've started carefully dismantling the attractions this week. I wonder if the parachute drop would operate at their new location if they throw a bit of money at it to get it back up and running. I don't think the parachute drop operated since it was moved from Wonderland (before that it was located at Magic Mountain).

Coast's Adrenalin Park to close THE iconic Adrenalin Park in Surfers Paradise will close on Thursday after a series of what operators claim were 'unviable and unreasonable' rent rises in recent years. The popular Slingshot and Vomitron rides will continue to operate at the Palm Avenue site, but the bungy jump, flycoaster, bungy tramps, simulators and mini-golf attractions will all be packed up and moved. Operators Gary Wachter and Bill Holman said they decided to relocate after their rents doubled in the past four years. Mr Wachter said he was recently informed his rent would rise by 70 per cent next year while Mr Holman said his was going to increase by 120 per cent. The two men own the majority of attractions at the theme park and also the name Adrenalin Park while a third operator, Brian Murfin, will continue to operate the Slingshot and Vomitron at the site for the time being. Mr Wachter said there was a possibility the attractions would be lost to the Gold Coast altogether. "We have an arrangement in place and have a venue to go to," he said. "At this stage I am not going to disclose that purely because we are speaking to several other parties as well so it will really depend on what transpires in the negotiations. "We certainly will be opening up the operation in some way or another, possibly (on the Gold Coast) or possibly not. "Potentially we could be up and running again in 12 weeks, if we get the right site that makes commercial sense." Mr Wachter said he and Mr Holman had tried to negotiate with land owners Orix and Five D, a leasing agent working on behalf of Orix, but to no avail. "We certainly have tried to stay here," he said. Five D did not return calls to the Bulletin yesterday while Peter Forster, named by company as the company secretary of Orix, was unwilling to comment on the situation. "Sorry, I can't help you. No comment," he said. Mr Holman, who was the first person to operate on the site in 1995, said he was saddened by the situation and the effect it would have on the 25 staff he and Mr Wachter employ. Divisional councillor Susie Douglas said she wanted to keep Adrenalin Park on the Coast and planned to speak to fellow councillor Dawn Crichlow about possibly relocating it to the Broadwater.

SFMM look to be having a big year next year. Superman will be going the way of TOT2, being renamed "Superman: Escape from Krypton" http://www.screamscape.com/html/sfmm_2011_6.htm No big launch tunnel like ours, but it will be getting a Superman themed paint job, and 4 seats in the back row unlike the 2 on TOT2. As is already known, they're getting a second hand rollerskater from SF New Orleans. But the most interesting addition is a Zacspin Coaster themed to Green Lantern...2 4D coasters in one park! http://www.screamscape.com/html/sfmm_2011_2.htm http://www.screamscape.com/html/sfmm_2011_3.htm Promo vid here: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm

Edited by Gazza

^ It's going to be a pretty big year for a lot of the overseas theme parks. Here's a list of 2011 attractions at Theme Park Review. Highlights include:

• Cheetah Hunt - triple launch coaster for Busch Gardens Tampa
  • Dare Devil Dive - Eurofighter for Six Flags over Georgia
  • Windseekers - sky high swings for four Cedar Fair parks - Cedar Point, Knotts, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island. A similar ride is also going into two Six Flags parks - Discovery Kingdom and St. Louis.
  • Two other rides are to be named Green Lantern (a wild mouse and a stand-up) which will be moved from now-defunct Six Flags parks to operating Six Flags parks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After posting in the water slide types thread I thought I'd add some of the latest other rides here. All of these pictures are from Theme Park Review. Anyone up for a launched wooden shuttle roller coaster which claims to have the longest airtime hill ever? 155444_10150328385045370_681415369_15850482_3791884_n.jpg149808_10150328385660370_681415369_15850483_5707451_n.jpg How about a wooden high five racing coaster? 150320_10150328371615370_681415369_15850344_2582479_n.jpg73835_10150328382375370_681415369_15850464_689327_n.jpg Both of those are from Martin & Vleminckx. Finally, how about this strange contraption from KMG (which as I understand it flaps like a bird and spins in circles)? 74120_10150328244545370_681415369_15848373_2431774_n.jpg

Been meaning to post these for ages, taken 12th OCT. - I found walking around the site formerly the site of Bungee Jumping, Putt Putt and Wonderland's former Skyhawk very interesting. My favourite photo is this - A Power Box held up on a wheelie bin The site has now been cleared/cleaned up and is available for lease

Sorry, missed your post till today... There wasn't an update in November because we all just had a busy month. Between travel, jobs and Uni we just didn't have time (I think I've had 2 days off in the past month). Bit of a shame too, lots of stuff we wanted to cover but unfortunately the real world got in the way. Good news though, as we speak we're planning the next one, hopefully within a week or two we'll have a nice big update published (hooray!). Cheers for the interest, glad to see people noticed :)

• rappa locked this topic