The Off Topic Topic

Are we sure that the ride in question is an offical Zamperla Disk'o? After seeing how many of them that Zamperla has produced, it would be quite odd to see this occur on an offical model. 

I'm going to take a guess and say it's a knockoff. Not only would it be incredibly bizarre for this to happen on an offical model, it also looks like it belongs in the uncanny valley.

Here in the UK, the High Court is now backing a father who refused to pay the fines for taking his child out of school.

We've had this rule now for a few years where parents aren't allowed to take their kids out of school for even a day, and are fined if they do so (the current fine is £60 per parent/guardian per child per absence, so if you and your partner take your two kids out of school, then you owe £240 - which rises if not paid quickly).

The schools are not at fault with this as the fines are taken out of their control - it is the local authorities and government, not the schools, imposing this (even though private school children are exempt), and various examples have included children not being allowed out to attend a funeral, for instance.

I'm totally in agreement that kids should go to school and get an education, but school isn't all there is. It used to be the case that *some* days would be granted by the headteacher if the children in question are doing well enough and have a good attendance record (the law says they should attend school regularly, and this father's children had a 93% attendance record - which I believe the school head said was "really bad and doesn't come anywhere close to the 95% target").

I do like this quote though:

“Our evidence shows missing the equivalent of just one week a year from school can mean a child is significantly less likely to achieve good GCSE grades, having a lasting effect on their life chances.”

If a single week affects a child's GCSE grades, then perhaps there's something wrong with how something is being taught?

Either way, if this rule is overturned then it'll mean families will be able to take cheaper holidays without having to worry about fines (holiday prices can seriously jump during school holidays - many just pay the fines as it's still a lot, lot cheaper).

I'd be interested to know if the 'disc' separated from the trolley or if the trolley came off the track. 

Is also like to know what the 'flood damage' was. 

Thats easily the most horrific accident video I've ever seen. You'd certainly be looking at manslaughter charges in this country (not murder as they didn't intend to kill anyone). 

Hmm... going through it slowly it does look like the disc does warp a bit at the very last moment. Other than that, it seems difficult to say much due to the quality and the pretty limited footage we have to go from.

EDIT - to me, it doesn't seem like the trolley goes off the track, but that the various supports holding the disk to the trolley seem to give way. That would also explain any warping.

Edited by djmcbell

OMFG don't get me started. I'm waiting to hear back 100% confirmation he wasn't allowed to do what he was doing, but there was this professional photog at Carnivale (NOT the guy above) the last couple of weekends who always seemed to push his way to the front of the crowd and never made any sort of effort to get out of peoples way and not block their view. 

What annoys me most, is when people like these push in front and block peoples views, especially kids. I know most people love to get the perfect image, but most of us can visit the parks when ever we want, these kids probably don't and they should be the ones who get to experience it the most and get up and close to the action.

Exactly, most of my shots of Carnivale are just taken in the same way as everyone else - line up, get the shot, move on (for roaming entertainers). For the stage shows, they're either from the distance with a zoom lens, off to the side while the majority of people crowd to the front of the stage, or in the case of the Cyrus performance, I had special permission to be where I was and even then I was still trying to stay low and keep out of the way. 

Green Lantern Coaster is having some issues today. Drove past on my way into the carpark and noted no carts cycling and no line. Then I saw people sitting in a cart in the loading station, front row ones sporting umbrellas and staff all over it. Looks like they were trying to get the harnesses off? Either way, I was like "uh oh" haha. 

The passengers were out by the time I walked in, but the ride has been closed since then (about 11am). I'm guessing they intend to reopen it soon as they had a staff member standing at its entrance herding people away lol. 

Where's bloody channel 7 when you need them? There's a breaking news story right here for you guys lol! !! ???

When did DW get Star Wars stuff?

(incidentally, it could have been "they've had it there since 1998" for all I know, as I've only been once and currently live on the other side of the planet - a matter soon to be rectified)

As for people darting in front to get the best pictures, I went to MW with my folks last year and was warned that people did that quite often during the parade. Thankfully they didn't with us.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:38 PM, Zanstabar said:

Are we sure that the ride in question is an offical Zamperla Disk'o? After seeing how many of them that Zamperla has produced, it would be quite odd to see this occur on an offical model. 

I'm going to take a guess and say it's a knockoff. Not only would it be incredibly bizarre for this to happen on an offical model, it also looks like it belongs in the uncanny valley.

Zamperla have stated it is a knockoff:

CiWXH9LW0AAHpGD.jpg

• rappa locked this topic