The Off Topic Topic

I do love that they tell the guests if they wish to go again to let the station staff know...  Definately not something we have ever had offered at MW or DW when a ride does not run properly...  I remember not even getting halfway up GD and it released us yet we were ushered out without a word...

And you probably never will see it at gold coast parks.

Giving a ride-load of people a queue jump ticket would cause havoc on wait times and capacity. Disney shutdowns tend to resolve very quickly as the cast members all train on how to run the mountain \ reset etc. very quickly.

Some leads are trained to perform console resets without the need for a mechanic, depending on the error code, so they can reset without clearing the queue either.

That, and when your ride puts through 10x the people that the GC rides do, a train full of people is less noticeable when they come back later in the day.

2 hours ago, Wyncenuros said:

I do love that they tell the guests if they wish to go again to let the station staff know...  Definately not something we have ever had offered at MW or DW when a ride does not run properly...  I remember not even getting halfway up GD and it released us yet we were ushered out without a word...

Been on ToT2 multiple times when it's failed to make the tower and we were asked if we wanted to re-ride immediately. 

10 hours ago, red dragin said:

Physically climb below the track and release each set of pads, maybe 8 sets at a guess. 

Rembering Space Mountain Paris is a completely different ride to the rest of them. 

What he said.

5952ffeb-7ddb-48c5-a23a-393f28a01d37_scr

Space Mountain 2 is a proper length train coaster (6x4 rider cars in the train), Space Mountain is more trains but less riders (2x6 rider cars).

Havent been given any at dreamworld, but movieworld will give you re-ride passes in the event of a stoppage, next time you're on scooby doo and it breaks down, ask about them if you don't get given one. I suspect they are only given when someone complains, rather than automatically though. Its more or less a hand written (as in, the details filled out) slip of paper you can hand in to the sorter or otherwise anyone in the queue line. Has things like ride, time of stoppage, plus the staff member that signed it and you will be taken to the front of the line and slotted in when its possible to fit your group in together.

Breakdowns I remember being on include:

* Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach - fortunately this was as it was coming into the station, not on the lift hill. Started again after about 5 minutes, and we weren't allowed back on or anything.

* Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom - just stuck there for about 5-10 minutes, watching a head pop up repeatedly from behind a tombstone. Started up again, we weren't allowed to go round again or anything.

* there was something at Lightwater Valley too, I think it was a flat ride. We all got given single-use fast-track tickets because of it, so everyone on the ride headed straight over to the Ultimate.

* Spiderman at Islands Of Adventure. We went round and none of the screens were working. They did let us go straight back round again.

Space Mountain Paris was a interesting experience. We'd ridden it just before, and found out the final brake run was vicious on the shoulders. Lethal Weapon was gentle in comparison. 

So I had braced ready for it, when we hit them it was "that wasn't as bad as last time" then whack into the emergency brakes, which where worse! That section was pitch black, then the music and sounds stopped in the whole ride. My brother's first comment was "well at least the other train has stopped". The lights came on fairly quickly. After about 5 minutes the we could hear staff around the train, the track was elevated so we could just see their heads. They spoke to us a little bit. They must have evacuated the other train first as it would have been up in the second lift area. 

He got our camera out filmed a bit of what was going on, the restraints made it difficult to get much footage. 

Eventually they unlocked all the brakes and the car drove slowly into the station. Our stepdad had been waiting, apparently they wouldn't tell him what was happening. 

Apparently it does that with some regularity. 

It's the only e-stop I've experienced personally, TOT has overrun once before my ride, and mislaunched a few times. Been on one ordinary launch, they drove us back and then "sorry guys, ready to go again"? 

13 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

I've still never been on a ride when it has e-stopped or broken down. I've witnessed quite a few from the queue and even just after getting off, but never actually while on a ride. I need to go to parks more.

Same for me, I've seen rides break down and I've been kicked out of the superman queue after it broke down, but never actually been on a ride during a breakdown.

^ Ditto. Never been on a ride during a break down, but witnessed others who have been. And I'm at the parks all the bloody time! So I must be pretty unlucky ? Always secretly hope that it will happen to me on Scooby Doo but it never does.

People think I am weird for wanting a ride to break down whilst I'm on it! I do sometimes remind them that there is a difference between a breakdown and it actually breaking (ie. Green Lantern style) in which case I would much prefer the former ??

If I did have to go early though, I reckon (in a warped and twisted way) that death by Coaster would be a pretty stylish way to go out lol. Final Destination 3 style ?

5 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

^ Ditto. Never been on a ride during a break down, but witnessed others who have been. And I'm at the parks all the bloody time! So I must be pretty unlucky ? Always secretly hope that it will happen to me on Scooby Doo but it never does.

People think I am weird for wanting a ride to break down whilst I'm on it! I do sometimes remind them that there is a difference between a breakdown and it actually breaking (ie. Green Lantern style) in which case I would much prefer the former ??

If I did have to go early though, I reckon (in a warped and twisted way) that death by Coaster would be a pretty stylish way to go out lol. Final Destination 3 style ?

Same here, I want to die on a coaster when I'm really old lol

I can think of two instances, outside of TOT.  

LTRR at Movie World - the waterfall before the end didn't switch off, everyone drenched.  I'm pretty sure we got tickets to come back another day.

Splash Mountain at Disneyland (1990), the log boat stopped just before the big drop, and we had to evacuate.  I was 8 and absolutely petrified.  

I've had a TOT2 overshoot. I'm sure they were fun when it was TOT, but TOT2 - going headfirst towards the end of the tunnel whilst juddering to a screeching stop was a bit concerning.

I've also been on TailSpin where it malfunctioned - pretty sure it was at least 4 times, during a night event. Several others here were there too.

Can't think of any other times, although i've been the cause of a few stoppages on Disneyland attractions - which they do to allow a wheelchair guest board. Haunted Mansion would probably be my favourite of these.

In other news, I caught on the news last night there was an accident on a highway in Queensland where a trailer mounted hurricane ride killed a man travelling in the opposite direction. I've looked for an online link and can't find anything, but from what I saw on the news, the ride was folded for transport, and one of the ride arms flung out sideways from the trailer, essentially clotheslining the oncoming car. The driver was killed by the impact.

• rappa locked this topic