The Off Topic Topic

Just found this...

yIlnGxL.png

That's actually kinda offensive to me... not sure about anyone else

Source?

I mean - if it's in some american rag that has nothing to do with parks, you could forgive them for getting sources or origins mixed up, but if it's an industry publication, or enthusiast site... it'd be quite different.

This pic originates from IMGUR. Google's image search doesn't even turn it up, although it does turn up the original image, which is used in many coaster articles (none of which contain the caption).

More info needed.

Source?

I mean - if it's in some american rag that has nothing to do with parks, you could forgive them for getting sources or origins mixed up, but if it's an industry publication, or enthusiast site... it'd be quite different.

This pic originates from IMGUR. Google's image search doesn't even turn it up, although it does turn up the original image, which is used in many coaster articles (none of which contain the caption).

More info needed.

I know, I screen shotted it and uploaded it to my imgur account

Comes from here: http://www.listchallenges.com/100-best-roller-coasters-in-the-world

There are a lot of mistakes on the page though...

While crawling around the net I found some pretty cool photos of the design record for Superman Escape. The original photos can be found on the FX Illusions website.

img_2108.thumb.jpg.b1571ac28ff49c6c5328e1.thumb.jpg.cfa494cff645d391ab2995537509

I find it really interesting to see the original drawings for most rides to see what could've been, and I'm I am going to regret saying this but I am honestly disappointed with what we have now. The whole ride doesn't feel like a train station, yet these final concept sketches make it appear like the ride was originally meant to be much more detailed. I wonder if Movie World would ever update SE to a higher level of detail? 

Also, would it be possible to move the Metropolis Square scene to the launch track? I just think if the whole dark ride section builds or crescendos to the launch track being an impending disaster zone, it would be much more effective than suddenly stopping in a corridor with a view of the storage area underneath the ride. Just my two cents...

Very nice find!

What I'm interested in is the switch track to what I've always assumed is the maintenance bay, seen in the photo below.

16.jpg

Is it just me or does that lead outside? Or was that hole in the wall there just for construction purposes? Another image of what I think is the same place, just a different angle, you can definitely see light streaming in:

12.jpg

It's interesting to see the work that goes into this kind of thing. Here's some more of Superman from http://www.fxillusions.com.au/

5.thumb.jpg.9d059806213afc5a7eb78fd245566.thumb.jpg.4f1c2038601e77d27e5c7e2cbbcf7_(1).thumb.jpg.104169da242a72d55c24c47a9.thumb.jpg.beabe2bb08c273f72003f7cc8fe811.thumb.jpg.81221c7a792172da2e5e3e418f8

And some of the wild west show

7_(2).thumb.jpg.bcfe118a3caec5612d07d8458.thumb.jpg.87d36a31d7567d18625522536ae8

And finally an interesting view of the back of PASS

7.thumb.jpg.28c04e990371bb0349183c7710f7

Also, where's this?

http://www.fxillusions.com.au/images/lethal-weapon-ride/index.html

Edited by reanimated35

Was at Movie Park Germany, originally as Lethal Weapon but then Cop Car Chase after they lost the license. It's currently defunct.

Is it just me or does that lead outside? Or was that hole in the wall there just for construction purposes? Another image of what I think is the same place, just a different angle, you can definitely see light streaming in:

12.jpg

Most likely they had a hole through the soundstage during construction. It's definitely too bright for most natural lights as well as the fact you can make out what appears to be a palm tree in the distance. 

Seeing all these photos are a pretty big inspiration for me. I wonder if it's possible to find a copy of the original concept drawings or a design development record of some sort for Superman Escape, or even Scooby-Doo or Justice League for that matter. I would love to see how these projects have progressed from a simple idea to the E-Tickets we have today.

Edited by Zanstabar

Concept drawings are always going to be a little more detailed and creative - the artist always has the artistic license to jazz things up a little more than the budget allows. As money pours out the door, things start to get sacrificed. I think the level of detail inside SE is great for what it is, and has the seal of approval from many different people \ groups as being one of the best of it's kind.

I think the photo Zanstabar just posted above (quoting Santa) is actually looking towards the station \ load zone, whereas the first photo Santa posted was a different section entirely. hard to tell, but i think the 'unnatural lighting' Zanstabar referred to is definitely load zone.

Nice to finally see ALL the food & merch outlets open at Dreamworld for once. Even ones I've never seen open before (Fast Foods, Snack Attack, Tiger Island plus that one at the Crocodile pit) were open yesterday! These ones remained closed during the Easter holidays.

The park looks great with everything open and running  :D:D:D

That quoted photo is the metropolis square straight section with the transfer/storage section at the far end of the photo. First parts of the wall that are collapsing towards you are in place. Sure if you look at that end of the building you will find a roller door where the light would be coming in from now. Would lead outside if for whatever reason cars need to be removed from the track and taken elsewhere.

Very nice find!

What I'm interested in is the switch track to what I've always assumed is the maintenance bay, seen in the photo below.

16.jpg

12.jpg

Those pics are looking down the track in the subway station scene (just before the turn past the flooding stairs).

The reason you can see straight though is because the maintenance bay continues off in a straight line, and the roller door is at the end:

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/872-Superman_Escape/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-282/offset/46

During construction there was a big hole in the wall too

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/804-Superman_Mini_Update/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-282/offset/59 

Just because you can see a tie-in to a film, doesn't mean the ride is suited to the park.

Batwing is the only completely outdoor (non-children's) attraction in the park. Every other attraction in the park has indoor sections, or indoor pre-show theming... and the ONLY reason batwing works is because it has that batwing tie-in.

Saying to people 'look! here's a new ride we've themed to a movie that's 18 years old and obscure by most standards' isn't going to appeal.

Saying 'make the ride circular so it fits the theme' is probably a little problematic from an engineering perspective... and keeping it square means that the tie-in is lost. Why not tie it in to the 1992 film Fortress?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106950/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's just as obscure (no - it's more obscure) and he rides a gyro - so arguably it's just as good as a theme?

gyro.jpg

The last place a ride like this should be is in a pitch black shed. Those hypnotic rotations need to be on full display... the real appeal here is in the visuals, because there's a million other simpler rides that can flip you upside down 50 times.

Not sure about the Contact theme given the age and obscurity of it, but Movie World definitely lacks flat rides. The fact that almost every other ride in the park is immersively themed is precisely why they need rides like this. There'd be dozens of modern WB or DC brands to theme this sort of thing.

• rappa locked this topic