The Off Topic Topic

I haven't had any break downs or evacs in the Aussie parks, but a few in the states.

Breakdown and evac on California Screamin'. Stuck half way up the first hill, they apparently tried resetting a few times and eventually evacuated us after 15, 20 minutes. Given a pass to skip the line for any other ride in the park. Interestingly the ride never opened for the rest of the day and the train sat in the same spot.

Breakdown on Peter Pans Flight in the scene flying over the city. Stuck 15 minutes, completed ride with lights on. Were told to come back to the disabled entrance at a later time. Copped a lot of flak from other guests when we did it.

Breakdown on Space Mountain in second last brake run. Had to wait for staff to come and manually release the brakes and push us. Offered to ride again when we entered the station. Pictures of the incident are on the ride database.

Had a huge log jam on Splash Mountain once. Bigger than normal, not sure what happened.

Not a break down, but Mr Potato Head dropping his ear. Always a laugh when it happens as he just stands there staring into nothing.

As cool as a breakdown and lights on for Disney rides are, it can also be a bit disappointing to see somethings just aren't that 'magical'. All my breakdowns are obviously Disney. 

Been on a Haunted Mansion breakdown too. Seems like they happen fairly regularly. We were stopped for a good 15 minutes on the one in Tokyo, staring at a snake popping out of a jack-in-the-box.

Besides that, I can't think of any breakdowns I've been on the ride for. Wipeout broke down while I was in the queue, as did Storm Coaster. For the latter, the staff allowed us to stay in the queue to reserve our spots, because they promised it would be fixed before too long.

The only other thing I can think of was (on the topic of carnival Hurricanes) on March's Amusements' Hurricane at my local show. The ride went through the whole build-up stage and then just stopped. They gave us 2 free tickets for that.

11 hours ago, AlexB said:

In other news, I caught on the news last night there was an accident on a highway in Queensland where a trailer mounted hurricane ride killed a man travelling in the opposite direction. I've looked for an online link and can't find anything, but from what I saw on the news, the ride was folded for transport, and one of the ride arms flung out sideways from the trailer, essentially clotheslining the oncoming car. The driver was killed by the impact.

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/3923814/extensive-investigation-into-fatal-crash/?cs=213

An 80-year-old Thornlands man died at the scene of the accident, which occurred about 8.45pm in Mount Cotton Road, Burbank.

The ride was being transported by a business that had been operating at a school fair in Victoria Point.

Police said the truck was transporting the ‘hurricane’ amusement ride when the outrigger stabiliser on the ‘arm’ released so the metal was at right-angles to the trailer.

After seeing what I did today all I will say is VR on coaster completely kills the capacity. Takes around twice a long to load a train and dispatch due to at least one person having issues with securing the headset. Haven't experienced Revolution with VR (line was way too long) but will give a review after I go back and get on the ride.

Someone had posted a photo of a kamikaze in response to latest Doomsday pics, I just commented to them that the one at MW is a suspended twin hammer model that intamin manufactures. Apparently that was enough to somehow warrant my comment being delete worthy *eyeroll*

Edited by Theme Park Girl

24 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Someone had posted a photo of a kamikaze in response to latest Doomsday pics, I just commented to them that the one at MW is a suspended twin hammer model that intamin manufactures. Apparently that was enough to somehow warrant my comment being delete worthy *eyeroll*

I don't waste my time of the shitty web sites.  To put it better, I don’t waste my time shitty facebook pages.  I swear at least 5 new Facebook page pop up a week.  I reckon half of them come from people on this site.  Facebook news pages suck.  I don’t know why people keep creating them.  I have been on this site for 10 years now and would have seen over 100 new pages created but I can't remember one that has lasted.

Edited by skeetafly

9 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

I don't waste my time of the shitty web sites.  To put it better, I don’t waste my time shitty facebook pages.  I swear at least 5 new Facebook page pop up a week.  I reckon half of them come from people on this site.  Facebook news pages suck.  I don’t know why people keep creating them.

In fairness there are a couple of good ones run by members on here. @Slick and @Theme Park Girl run good ones for photos and credible info. Not to mention Parkz has it's own facebook page :P 

Thanks @reanimated35? I appreciate your kind words. If us FB page/blog runners enjoy doing so and people do like to follow their content, I don't see the harm. Heaven knows I go to a lot of effort to try and keep mine up to date. But I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it, as I am sure it's the same case for others ☺️ 

24 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

In fairness there are a couple of good ones run by members on here. @Slick and @Theme Park Girl run good ones for photos and credible info. Not to mention Parkz has it's own facebook page :P 

To be fair though, @Slick had a couple of false starts on that. I think he's found a harmonious balance now, and produces some really... erm... "slick" content.

17 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

You run a page?

He started it a while back, and constantly posted with updates "see XXXX on my facebook page here" - i believe it was one of the main causes for Richard to review the policies on linking to fan\news pages on these things that the content had to be relevant etc. It was also a reason why hotlinking images etc was frowned upon etc etc.

What TPG does - where she has her own page, but posts updates, images, and news separately to the forum is what is preferred - as images and links dont get lost if the host site goes down - pictures uploaded here are stored here, so we can see them many years later when someone starts talking about a 'new' mural at LPS that has been there for months \ years... ;)

Ah! That would explain why I didn't know about it. Most of the "click here to see x" I just overlook thanks to the millions of clickbait crap thrown around. 

Things like "Here's 5 pics from the park today, the other 50 are {link}" I don't mind because I can make an assessment if it's worthwhile clicking. 

Edited by reanimated35

1 hour ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Thanks @reanimated35? I appreciate your kind words. If us FB page/blog runners enjoy doing so and people do like to follow their content, I don't see the harm. Heaven knows I go to a lot of effort to try and keep mine up to date. But I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it, as I am sure it's the same case for others ☺️ 

I wasn't having a go at you @Theme Park Girl the truth be know, I didn't even know you have created one.  The main reason I think they fail is people don't realise how much work goes into them so people give up on them. The other main reason they fail is because most of them are the same.

Edited by skeetafly

21 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

The main reason I think they fail is people don't realise how much work goes into them so people give up on them. The other main reason they fail is because most of them are the same.

I agree, the amount of new ages that I've come across, or info has been shared from another page, but then give it a few months and either the admin or the followers loose interest, mainly due to the lack of content on the page, or they are just taking exact posts from other pages, which people have seen already. There are probably up to ten good pages which are useful and/or popular. I think @Theme Park Girl and @Slick are doing a really good job. And despite me not overly liking the TPSN guy and the way he can be, he has over the years provided images of construction updates, and general things around the park. But now as more and more people on here are heading to the parks, and posting photos, his page isn't as useful to us, as it has been in the past.

3 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

That's it. Just had another comment I posted on TPSN mysteriously disappear. Unfollowing his page. Sick of the censorship ???

What makes me wonder the most though is why were you following that loser in the first place...

(also not surprising that this happened, his page is like china's internet in a facebook page [no racism intended])

Thanks @reanimated35, that is the problem when you mention a couple of pages and not the rest. I think everyone who posts here and has a Facebook page or Instagram account does an excellent job.  Some are great writers, others awesome photographers. Sometimes we do use Parkz as a source (and it's funny when we all share the Parkz news stories) but often it's through hard work that we get our stories. 

I think we've got a good part of the market covered with our little network. Longevity is certainly the challenge. Keep up the great work people!

4 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

@iwerks I assume this means you have a page too? 

This is either proving @skeetafly's point that there's too many. Or there just isn't enough quality ones being advertised. 

Yup, I went to the dark side about 18 months ago. The way I look at it, we're like a gateway drug. People might have a passing interest in what's happening at their local park, like your page, then you can recommend them on to the other people's pages here and, more importantly, on to Parkz.

There are a few I follow that don't post here, like Ausparks and the Australian Coaster Club. I do follow TPSN, but it bugs the crap out of me. The way he treats people like TPG certainly doesn't make it a social network; he can't spell to save his life and the 'internationalization' of his site, where you're trying to work out where he is or what Disney park he's talking about, is really annoying.

I think the saddest of all are the ones that are started in good faith and end after a couple of posts. 

I to run a page, and have done for about 6 years now. When I first started it, the main reason for doing so was to simply provide regular information about the theme parks to those who don't use website like this one. I don't do it just to try and get more likes, but more to let people know what's happening and get them excited. Along with sharing some of the photos I've taken using my Cannon camera, because despite not always doing enough of it, I love photography. And with the number of pages now about the parks, I hope that by sharing some of their photos, it will allow the couple of thousand of followers my page has gotten over the years, they will follow the other pages, who can provide more often and up to date images, because at times I don't always get the chance to go to the park to get a photo.

• rappa locked this topic