The Off Topic Topic

I stand by what I posted. 

20170425_111921.thumb.png.e32dd7ce440de01246f3beb3f8cd3f30.png

It was assumed from the photo that air con was a feature of the monorail. I responded that wasn't, at least not recently. 

Can we please move on now? This is petty shit. My post wasn't addressed to you to begin with, and I don't really want to argue with you or anyone else on here. 

Edited by Theme Park Girl

Don't think we'll be seeing any extensive capex at Dreamworld in the next 12 months. They definitely be spending but as we've seen it will be on freshening up park standards and offerings to 'refresh' the park. On a ride front I think we'll be lucky to see any new rides this calendar year. I don't see Main Event being too keen for massive investment until they see a relatively strong pickup in attendance figures

If Dreamworld were getting a coaster this year, we'd know about it by now. We would've seen ground works and probably track arrive. I would add that we would've had an announcement by now for any major new additions this year, but if the Dreamworld marketing team are anything like the drunks down the road, maybe not.

Plus what @Brad2912 said.

16 minutes ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

Hey I was just thinking... RMC posted a pic of RMC raptor track and Dreamworld is suppost to make a few announcments later this year and maybe the raptor might go to Dreamworld to compete with MovieWorlds Hypercoaster

Im going to be blunt. That wont happen. They won't already have tracks ready for a ride that hasn't even been announced yet.. nevermind. 

6 minutes ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

I'm pretty it sure it was Ausworlds on Instagram who made an post on their story saying that Dreamworld was going to make some announcements this year.. 

Yes, that is true. I am closely associated with them (Im AusParkSocial) and they got information that Kevil Hill will be changed to, get this... Sharknado. Apparently TPSN told them.. but we all know what he's like.

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

The scary thing is that the Broadbeach monorail was said to be nearing the end of its life (which I believe is probably right), yet the Sea World monorail was the first in Australia.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the Sea World monorail must be running on borrowed time!

I get the argument that Village would want to see a return on investment, but sometimes there is an indirect return.

They should invest in these things to ensure the long term future of Sea World. Much as they have by investing in new paths, toilet upgrades etc.

Sea World's monorail was built in 1986, making it three years older than the example built at Broadbeach. However, building a new monorail as you suggest would be costly, and considering how ripe Sea World is for rides at the moment, VRTP have other things to focus on in the park instead of completely replacing a monorail.

The closure of Sydney's monorail in 2013 was a missed opportunity for Sea World - they could have bought cars from that older monorail - from what I remember they were air conditioned. Likewise, the closure of the Broadbeach monorail is a final opportunity for Sea World to give their aging monorail the short-term upgrade it desperately needs to last into the future.

21 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Sea World's monorail was built in 1986, making it three years older than the example built at Broadbeach. However, building a new monorail as you suggest would be costly, and considering how ripe Sea World is for rides at the moment, VRTP have other things to focus on in the park instead of completely replacing a monorail.

The closure of Sydney's monorail in 2013 was a missed opportunity for Sea World - they could have bought cars from that older monorail - from what I remember they were air conditioned. Likewise, the closure of the Broadbeach monorail is a final opportunity for Sea World to give their aging monorail the short-term upgrade it desperately needs to last into the future.

As far as I'm concerned, replacing the monorail carriages is just part of maintaining the park. Granted it is expensive, but it's simply essential maintenance. I'd like to think it's been appropriately budgeted for (call me cynical, but I don't).

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear sometime in the next few years, the monorail will go the same way Sea Worlds other transport rides went.

56 minutes ago, wileecoyote said:

Yes, that is true. I am closely associated with them (Im AusParkSocial) and they got information that Kevil Hill will be changed to, get this... Sharknado. Apparently TPSN told them.. but we all know what he's like.

I sincerely hope now. Now Thunder River Rapids is gone, Kevil Hill is my favourite attraction at Dreamworld by far. There really aren't many I enjoy apart from that.

23 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Personally I've never found it too hot inside the monorail.

Having been on this with a group of people in full tuxedo, wedding dress, gowns etc at the end of April, I can assure you people do find it too hot inside the monorail, and climate control is sorely needed. 

I'm sure putting a unit on the roof would be the easiest - but also prohibitive because of clearances around the park - but i'm sure that isn't the ONLY option available to retrofit air conditioning units to the trains. 

If they are near end of life (Remember, although older, Sea World's trains get far less use than those in Broadbeach and Sydney) perhaps they do plan to upgrade them with models that have A/C

13 hours ago, wileecoyote said:

Viewers of 'Shark Tank' a year or two ago would have seen @Lynton V Harris promoting \ paid advertisement \ whatever it was for launching Sharknado walkthrough. I think it was discussed on Parkz, and at the time, i think it was fairly easily assumed we would see it arrive at Dreamworld at the end of the Kevil Hill run (not to mention Sharknado would fit in much better with the Ocean Parade theme...)

12 hours ago, pushbutton said:

As far as I'm concerned, replacing the monorail carriages is just part of maintaining the park. Granted it is expensive, but it's simply essential maintenance. I'd like to think it's been appropriately budgeted for (call me cynical, but I don't).

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear sometime in the next few years, the monorail will go the same way Sea Worlds other transport rides went.

I sincerely hope now. Now Thunder River Rapids is gone, Kevil Hill is my favourite attraction at Dreamworld by far. There really aren't many I enjoy apart from that.

Ok, so I know this is going to be hard, because its very hard to make you see reason.

So try this one - you have a 1978 Chrysler Sigma stationwagon. It's been your daily drive for decades, and its great. You love it. You've spent hours cutting and sewing shag pile floormats and dashmats. You've got the little beaded seat cover for the driver's seat, and the lambswool steering wheel cover. You spend every weekend lovingly polishing all the paint and chrome. You spend an hour every thursday applying armor-all to all the internal plastics and vinyls.

(mechanics amongst us - settle down. none of this is meant to be technically accurate - just meant to describe a total and catastrophic failure for which there is no return)

You've just taken it in for a service as it doesn't seem to 'feel' normal. Your mechanic let you know that you've got a few problems... the engine is going to need a complete rebuild. the gearbox needs to be replaced. There's rust deep in the chassis, and both of your axles are bent.

Now, you're a reasonable guy - and you look at the fact that a 1978 Chrysler Sigma wagon is only worth about $1400 at the top end of the market, and with your current problems - most likely a lot less. But you love your car. You've had it for years. Many of your friends have had rides in it, and they love it too...

But you're reasonable, like i said - and the cost of rebuilding the engine, replacing the gearbox, repairing the chassis, and replacing both of your axles is just far too much for a vehicle that will likely experience another costly issue not too far into the future... so you can throw a few thousand at it and get it to remain on life support for a few more years if you're lucky, or you can bite the bullet, retire the old girl for scrap, and utilise the large amount of space that the car occupies in your garage for something much better.

I mean think about how much land the monorail utilises - prime land within the park - both front and mid stations are right on the main drag - Plus mid-station is somewhat reliant on the castle, if I remember correctly - and if we see the castle go, well... time to clear out the old garage!

I for one would prefer if they would invest in NEW trains, but there are a whole lot of requirements for those trains - they'll have to fit in the same space, the track will have to be capable of powering them with all their modern gizmos (can anyone say Sydney Waratah?), and they'll have to be cheap enough that the park can justify the replacement and ongoing operation of something that, with the current park layout, really is obsolete. Only guests can use the resort station, so having just two other stations - front and mid station - its a really arse about long way to get from mid station to the front of the park (which takes ages), or a really long way to go from front to mid, when the time taken to climb to the station, wait for the train, wait for the single operator to unload, load, open and close gates and doors, and then travel at an ALMOST walking pace to Mid station - you could pretty well have walked there.

So if they do replace the trains, they'll need to build at least one more station near the old Corkscrew site, and while they're at it they should also build an 'exit only' station over the carpark. Just a platform and a set of stairs that it only stops at in the last hour or so of the day to help empty the park a bit quicker.

/rant

34 minutes ago, AlexB said:

So try this one - you have a 1978 Chrysler Sigma stationwagon. It's been your daily drive for decades, and its great. You love it. You've spent hours cutting and sewing shag pile floormats and dashmats. You've got the little beaded seat cover for the driver's seat, and the lambswool steering wheel cover. You spend every weekend lovingly polishing all the paint and chrome. You spend an hour every thursday applying armor-all to all the internal plastics and vinyls.

(mechanics amongst us - settle down. none of this is meant to be technically accurate - just meant to describe a total and catastrophic failure for which there is no return)

You've just taken it in for a service as it doesn't seem to 'feel' normal. Your mechanic let you know that you've got a few problems... the engine is going to need a complete rebuild. the gearbox needs to be replaced. There's rust deep in the chassis, and both of your axles are bent.

Now, you're a reasonable guy - and you look at the fact that a 1978 Chrysler Sigma wagon is only worth about $1400 at the top end of the market, and with your current problems - most likely a lot less. But you love your car. You've had it for years. Many of your friends have had rides in it, and they love it too...

But you're reasonable, like i said - and the cost of rebuilding the engine, replacing the gearbox, repairing the chassis, and replacing both of your axles is just far too much for a vehicle that will likely experience another costly issue not too far into the future... so you can throw a few thousand at it and get it to remain on life support for a few more years if you're lucky, or you can bite the bullet, retire the old girl for scrap, and utilise the large amount of space that the car occupies in your garage for something much better.

Considering we used to own a Chrysler Sigma, this analogy hits so close to home for me - we kept the car in the front for 3 years after it died cause we loved it so much!! *memories* 😝

Different system used on the broadbeach cars vs that at seaworld. Im not sure what else changes as far as track gauge, voltages, etc, but they use different collector systems for power, so you couldn't just put it on to the track at seaworld even if it physically fits on the rail.

Hmm. What's going on. This seems like more evidence that Ardent simply don't see much value in Whitewater World. They should!

First they've started automatically including entry to WWW with all Dreamworld tickets, and now they're reducing the hours.

It's a fantastic world class water park. Make the most of it!

17 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Hmm. What's going on. This seems like more evidence that Ardent simply don't see much value in Whitewater World. They should!

First they've started automatically including entry to WWW with all Dreamworld tickets, and now they're reducing the hours.

It's a fantastic world class water park. Make the most of it!

They reduce the hours to 11-4 since its winter and that's off season for our parks, instead of closing every park they have the water parks opened for not as long.

Past April is traditionally when winter hours start, and attendance on a good day might be a couple hundred.  As much as I don't like to see cutting happening I can't really blame them for cutting an hour off the start of the day, particularly since (unlike WnW) WWW isn't a stand alone park anymore but a massive land at Dreamworld, so it's not like guests are getting a particularly raw deal.

So for those who don't know, Space Mountain Mission 2 Hyperspace Mountain is coming close to the end of a massive refurbishment, which, ontop of the Star Wars treatment, includes these brand new much-needed sexy trains (same style as HWSW I believe).

HWSW's trains are great, but these are certainly next-level detail! Very impressed with the level of effort Disney has put into this (of course, anything less would be complete un-Disney-like since everything they do is the highest quality you can get).

• rappa locked this topic