The Off Topic Topic

Yeah I agree, I think the topic should be reopened as well. 

And meh, if you watch my live video on my blog when I first saw the track colour in person, I did refer to it as fucshia. It was the colour ID website thingy that added the 'pink' bit (no pun intended) lol. So I still called it and I intend to gloat over at least getting that part right haha 😜

I was just thinking last night, would our Themeparks be able to use like a tapu Tapu device like the one at universal Orlando? 

Like movieworld, seaworld and Dreamworld could use it as paying food, ride wait times (see how long the line is without walking over) and other stuff

Whitewater World and wet N Wild could use it as volcano bay dose, waitimes. They have a wave pool (wet n Wild has a lazy river iswell) I think it would be a good idea.

Sounds a lot like the Q-bot system as far as ride status, queuing and waits are concerned. So yes one of our parks would already be using a system like it. Wet'n'Wild Sydney even has something similar that uses their myband for queuing, lockers, on-slide photos and cash. Sure the myband doesn't tell you wait times or when a slide is open/closed but the kiosks around the park can do that (or you can look with your own eyes for a rough idea).

I'm not really a fan of anything in Victoria, (don't hate it, just don't know it, and don't really care to) - but this article popped up for me today, which i'm sure people will enjoy:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/outer-east/melbournes-forgotten-theme-parks-what-happened-to-them/news-story/f522f6bf1558323a0e438b6f5391f7d2#itm=newscomau|home|nca-homepage-news-plus-story|2|heading|homepage|homepage&itmt=1497419465900

MELBOURNE has loved — and lost — many theme parks over the years.

From safari parks where lions roamed free, to bell helicopter rides, Melbourne’s amusement parks have given visitors unforgettable memories for more than a century.

We take a look back at the history of Melbourne’s most loved and forgotten theme parks.

Do you have a favourite memory of Melbourne’s forgotten theme parks? Share your story by leaving a comment below.

ASHTON’S BACCHUS MARSH LION SAFARI

It may be hard to picture now, but weekends were once spent driving through an open safari where lions would literally latch their paws onto cars.

5de1960285194ee6036d5f4e93eaeab7?width=650   Lions roamed free at the Bacchus Marsh Lion Safari. Picture: Darcy Prendergast

Bacchus Marsh Lion Safari opened in 1970 and several incidents including the death of a 12-year-old boy led to the park’s demise.

It was run by the Ashton family, of Ashton’s Circus fame.

Filmmaker Darcy Prendergast, whose father Ron ‘Prenda’ Prendergast, worked at the park, was inspired to make a documentary called WILD LIFE, which looks at the park’s rise and fall.

ce0fdf44a5ddcb25cde892dede15fc4f?width=316  
Ron ‘Prenda’ Prendergast at Bacchus Marsh Lion Safari. 29ca8c3a355d9c212e47b8520a4e9009?width=316  
Former lion tamer Vern Ellis with Sheba the tiger in 1975.

Prendergast, who grew up in Bacchus Marsh, said very few people of his generation did not know of the park’s existence.

“My dad was 17 when he first started and the narrative leans on his memories and tales as the structural backbone, but also looks at the wider reach of the park.,” he said.

“He was attacked and mauled on more than one occasion.”

Stringent animal regulations and costly upgrades caught up with the park in 1985 and it closed for good.

Anyone with photos or video footage can email: Darcy@ohyeahwow.com

BULLEN’S AFRICAN LION SAFARI

Bullen’s African Lion Safari was located on the Western Highway in Rockbank and operated during the 1970s.

This park was owned by a well-known circus family, the Bullens, who had other lion parks in New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia.

Much like Bacchus Marsh Lion Safari, it was a drive-through safari that had lions, tigers, bears, elephants and giraffes.

Bullens Lion Park in 1973

On a Western Suburbs Memories Facebook post about the lion park, Sylvia said: “remember going there in a bus and we s*** ourselves because the lions were pushing through the doors and we were screaming.”

Narelle said: “Grew up very close to Bullens and heard the roars of lions many nights.”

The kiosk and toilet blocks still stand today.

It’s believed that a man was severely bitten on the shoulder after a bear attacked him through an open car window on January 3, 1977.

The site is now a nursery and a restaurant.

Flashback to Bullens Lion Park

WHISTLE STOP AMUSEMENT PARK

Whistle Stop Amusement Park was a fun park located in Frankston.

It opened in 1966 and operated for about 10 years.

e4568404cc4514a88b72c2bbaebd5edc?width=650   Whistle Stop at Frankston attracted visitors with its veteran steam train and pedal boats on a large lake with an island, along with go-karts, a merry-go-round and chairlif.

The park featured a steam railway, go-karts, a merry-go-round and a large lake with an island.

The park was established by Jack Griffiths and all rides were created or renovated in-house.

His granddaughter Jane Griffiths still holds fond memories of the park.

“I could go in whenever I wanted to with my friends and go on all the rides,” Ms Griffiths said.

fb238cf2b1bf33ebb845a51de80dc01d?width=650   The chairlift was a popular feature of Whistle Stop.

When Whistle Stop closed in 1974, the steam train’s engine went to Puffing Billy Railway and the chairlift went to Caribbean Gardens in Scorseby.

There is now a small park called Whistle Stop Reserve in Skye Rd which covers some of the area. It is now a housing estate.

038121ca085dc539d94f28aeb855f4c3?width=650   The steam train’s engine went to Puffing Billy Railway.

WOBBIES WORLD

Wobbies World in Vermont South opened in 1970 and promised fun for all the family.

Who could forget taking a ride in the bell helicopter?

df30965c2793e2dece1cdd5efe25a430?width=650   The bell helicopter at Wobbies World.

The park also featured a mini log ride, monorail, golf course, trampolines and several food and drink kiosks.

The bell helicopter currently sits in a paddock on Dandenong-Frankston Rd.

The park closed down in 1999 and is now the site of the new Forest Hill Police Station.

LEISURELAND FAIR

Leisureland Fair was located in Langwarrin and operated from 1984 to 1992.

The park had a steel roller coaster, waterslides, log flume, mini golf and a function centre.

0a068b1eb56cb41598a16f9c4f8e0e28?width=650   The roller coaster at Leisureland Fair. Picture: Facebook

It is now a housing estate with the only reference to the park being a street named after it called Leisureland Drive.

LUNA PARK

It’s the oldest theme park in Australia and the only one in the world to have the oldest continually operating roller coaster — the Great Scenic Railway.

Luna Park opened on December 13, 1912, and thousands of people flocked to its opening to test rides that had never been seen before in Australia.

71da7f4f2e46d593432ccbdd4b599f85?width=650   Luna Park in 1912. Picture: Luna Park

Luna Park chief executive Mary Stuart said at the time of its opening, the park was absolutely cutting edge with the latest and greatest in amusements.

“Millions of people have been on the Scenic Railway since it opened in 1912,” Ms Stuart said.

“It’s one of the park’s most popular rides and the only one of its kind being a wooden rollercoaster with a standing brakeman in control,” she said.

5d966f4f1928e1413f26d5cdd3527d13?width=650   The “elephant” tightrope at Luna Park. Picture: Luna Park

Ms Stuart said many of the park’s visitors held fond memories of rides that were now demolished.

“The River Caves was a treasured icon of the park where many couples would share their first kiss,” she said.

b42c35dc5fad25ef226c97ce0e602336?width=316  
The River Caves - a special spot for couples. Picture: Luna Park cc03fc5a886bf1302e31f24f7172b134?width=316  
The iconic Scenic Railway in 1968. Picture: Luna Park

“The Big Dipper was also a favourite, but sadly demolished in 1989.”

She said Luna Park held a special place in the heart and lives of Melburnians.

“The park is part of Melbourne’s cultural DNA and it will continue to be for many years to come.”

Try this forum thread from 2005.

A suggestion in there said it might have been done by Kevin Ferrari based on overseas designs. A later post by @Gazza does seem to indicate it has some similarities with the 'jet' coasters.

Gazza linked to a facebook group, which doesn't appear to exist anymore, but I did a little google to find https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leisureland-Fair/138550036173654

...and this picture from 'Lost Melbourne' shows the park layout in a melways (or similar) of all things!

Very impressed by the Kraken Unleased VR experience that Seaworld Orlando has just soft opened/opened. The quality of the animation looks fantastic. What I really love is how Seaworld tried very hard to solve the operational problems that VR coasters usually have. The individual storage containers incorporated into each seat, the inclusion of headphones attached to the headset, the tethers to the harnesses. All fantastic ideas to improve the experience, safety and efficiency. Plus it's not an upcharge, and is completely optional if you want to ride with VR or not.

Kraken looks like a fantastic VR experience, one of the best I've seen in terms of graphics/storyline/etc. 

Since we're discussing Sea World attractions, I might as well add the recently-opened brother of Jet Rescue too

Honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed watching this POV. I was expecting something like Jet Rescue, but better, and what I saw was a toned-down version. Jet Rescue whips you around its transitions, this one looks like it's more just pulling riders gently around the turns. And the airtime hills don't look like they provide much airtime at all. Yeah I think our's is a lot better really.

• rappa locked this topic