The Off Topic Topic

10 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

It seems weird to me that they'd be focusing on rejuvenating Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier already, considering it got so much attention during the original DCA makeover. I would've much rather seen them focus on Hollywoodland or a Bug's Land.

According to the rumour mill, the new Spiderman/Avengers area is going to take over Hollywoodland and potentially Bugs Land too.

I find a few things weird. 

Firsy they do a massive re-theme with carthay circle and the like only to then make it Superheroes... I can only assume superheroes will take over some of the unused stages and the area around Tower/guardians. 

How they make the Hyperion with Frozen fit I have no idea. 

Its a shame Tower wasn't closer to Carthay and they could have kept that whole area old world Hollywood. 

As for Pixar Pier $10 says mostly the area they are touching is the vacant space where the tower rides used to be. And I'd be ok with that. 

I do worry though that the great path DCA was on with placemaking is being ruined with many of these changes including Guardians. 

Wasn't quite sure where to put this as I was originally going to post this on the Dreamworld attendance topic but in last minute changes I have decided to put it in here.

It does appear that the park is in the works to get the Kevil Hill laser tag back to operation later in the year 

IMG_2263.thumb.PNG.0e056c340d179d4292353b10579ff666.PNG

For me, whilst I understand DCA missed the mark when it opened, the revamp it had to bring it to where it is today was great. I liked that it wasn't as 'immersive' as Disney, and that, like Disneyland - many attractions didn't rely on an IP (or at least an immersive one) to function.

Paradise Pier's intention (in it's second incarnation) was to be a slightly disney-fied beachside boardwalk. It didn't need Pixar slathered all over it (although Toy Story Midway Mania fitted because the midway could be found on those great beachside piers).

I'm not the sort of Disney fan that insists on everything being kept how it was - i'm happy for them to continuously improve, change, try new things, but everything of late seems to be focussed around the IP, rather than the experience itself.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with, and i'm sure that they'll do a good job with it - but i'll still lament the loss of some of the old school 'themed just because' rather than 'themed because it ties in with a film'

3 hours ago, Theme Park said:

I visited on a Friday a couple of weeks ago.  Every ride was walk on basically.  The attraction line up isn't that good either but kind of what you expect for Legoland.  The miniland is great and kind of the only reason I went.  Although there were already some non-working parts in that.  I will also say the staff were happy and friendly, they'd wave at everyone walking past.

It is overpriced at ¥6900 yen (about $80+AUD).  Discounted by ¥1000 yen if you buy 7 days in advance.  What is also over-priced for Japan is the food and drink inside the park-bottle of coke was ¥220 from a vending machine.  Usual is ¥160 and that includes inside the airport.  Disneyland at ¥200 is the highest I can recall (although it has been 2 years since I went).  I also felt merchandise was overpriced too.  So it isn't just the gate price, it is pretty much everything that will be seen as overpriced by Japanese people.

Maker's Pier just outside the gate provides plenty of other food options though if you're so inclined to check it out and a standard amusement center.

I guess my problem is, if you're an teenager or adult you should go to Nagashima Spaland and for kids go to Japan Monkey Park.  I imagine Legoland is also a big negative for Japan Monkey Park and whether it can survive, although they clearly built some new pools recently.

Legoland is easier to access than the other two parks though.  The other problem is, it is the second best attraction at the station you access it from.  SCMaglev and Railway Park is better and it only costs ¥1000-driving a train is way more fun than any attraction at Legoland.

14 minutes ago, ads086 said:

So Universal Studios Orlando is ditching Dragon Challenge.

Does anyone think they'll relocate them to another Universal Park, or put them up for sale?

Could be a cheap(er) way for a local park to get a (first for Aus) ride...

It's safe to say they will be scraped just like the original Hulk Ride. Which according to US was "beyond salvageable." Plus relocating a 19 year old ride to Australia from the other side of the world does not make much business sense.

Edited by Tim Dasco

23 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

It's safe to say they will be scraped just like the original Hulk Ride. Which according to US was "beyond salvageable." Plus relocating a 19 year old ride to Australia from the other side of the world does not make much business sense.

They took an old B&M inverted coaster from Japan to France, so anything's possible really, but the chances of it duelling if it gets sold are still slim to none.

3 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Plus relocating a 19 year old ride to Australia from the other side of the world does not make much business sense.

Sure thing mate. Whatever you say.

https://rcdb.com/13869.htm

Australia - World Expo Park as Titan - Opened 1988
Australia - Wonderland Sydney as Demon - Opened 1992 (4 years old) Closed 2004 (16 years old)
United States - Alabama Splash Adventure as Zoomerang - Opened 2005 (17 years old) Closed 2011 (23 years old)
India - Wonderla as Recoil - Opened 2016 (28 years old)

It makes a lot of business sense for a smaller park to obtain a ride at a bargain basement price to boost their lineup. Although a vekoma boomerang isn't much to most enthusiasts, to regional \ smaller parks that don't have the capital to drop $10m+ on a new coaster - picking up a bargain for 1-2 million, even when you then pay shipping, and construction, you're still getting a great buy, and it makes incredibly good business sense.

6 hours ago, ads086 said:

So Universal Studios Orlando is ditching Dragon Challenge.

Does anyone think they'll relocate them to another Universal Park, or put them up for sale?

Could be a cheap(er) way for a local park to get a (first for Aus) ride...

Universal won't sell the ride. They will do the same thing that they did with Hulk and scrap it. Universal already have a nasty reputation for scrapping rides that aren't that old.

They just aren't the kind of company that sells their old rides on the market like so many others do. Like Disney, they are a "throw the baby away with the bathwater" company when it comes to their rides.

I have no doubt in my mind Dragon Challenge will most likely be the first B&M to be scrapped. I can't honestly see Universal selling it. It is such a shame that Universal is replacing such a good coaster with another simulator.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

35 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

It just means the pass selling period is ending (Happens every year), and then a new type of pass will be promoted.

34 minutes ago, themagician said:

It just means the pass selling period is ending (Happens every year), and then a new type of pass will be promoted.

Maybe it'll be VIP passes asgain, without the "Magic"!

Doesn't bother me anyway. I've got an Unlimited membership, so as long as they continue that I'll be ok!

1 hour ago, Adventures With JWorld said:

IMG_2530.thumb.PNG.49d7957bdae9d033581e8119d4adcf12.PNG

Well, to be fair, something that is littered with TV's on it from what I can tell. It is extremely disappointing to see Universal take out what is considered among the strongest B&M inverts out there, and replace it with a family coaster. I'm not angry that Universal is removing the ride from the park, but what pisses me off is that this ride is likely to get ripped apart and scrapped. It is saddening to see a coaster as unique as Dueling Dragons going for a date with the scrapman.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

• rappa locked this topic