The Off Topic Topic

Not too sure if any of you are interested, but I thought I'd just write a little about this anyways.

Here in my hometown of New Plymouth, New Zealand there is New Zealand's fastest hydroslide. The tower at our aquatic centre houses 2 slides, the "family slide" and the "turbo slide". The family slide is not thrilling however the turbo slide is a reasonably steep drop which can reach speeds of up to 50KM/H depending on your weight according to the designers. The slides were a prototype and had a number of flaws which delayed the opening, and still have some flaws today. One of these flaws is an uneven surface at the bottom of the main drop of the turbo slide which actually gives you a very small amount of airtime (literally), and after the drop you basically stop and have to push yourself for the rest of the ride. If any of you are in New Zealand some time, you should definitely check out this slide as it is quite a thrilling experience. 

Recently the aquatic centre installed a new pump on the turbo slide and also installed some jets which give you a boost at the end of the ride.

Image result for new plymouth hydroslides

ABOVE: The new slides installed in 2008, opened in mid 2009.

---

Prior to these slides our local aquatic centre was home to 4 outdoor slides, which were closed in 2008 due to corrosion in the ride structure. Some of these parts were used on the new slides. There were 2 unenclosed slides which required a mat to be used, and there were 2 flume style bodyslides. It is really hard to find photos of these slides so a huge thanks to Todd Energy Aquatic Centre for sending me these.

25276584_1571841349576392_1334945150_n.jpg?oh=b797c53a053397f2c74aa2a4537de0e7&oe=5A3E9924

Edited by themeparkaddict
  • Like 1

@pushbutton have I got a Christmas gift for you?   No! but on the news last night the lady who purchased the Oasis monorail is selling it in sections.  You can be an owner of a full carriage for $2000.00.  How good would it be in your living room?   I asked my wife if I could turn one into a bar and she wasn't keen on the idea.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skeeta said:

@pushbutton have I got a Christmas gift for you?   No! but on the news last night the lady who purchased the Oasis monorail is selling it in sections.  You can be an owner of a full carriage for $2000.00.  How good would it be in your living room?   I asked my wife if I could turn one into a bar and she wasn't keen on the idea.

Well Butlin's holiday resort in Minehead, England closed its monorail in 1998, and sections were bought by various different parties. Gradually I assume most were scrapped, but one section remained in use as a playground item at a local primary school in Minehead for kids to sit in and pretend they were on a monorail  (Dreamworld style, if you will)!

I became aware in 2009 that the school were planning to redevelop the land where the monorail carriage was,  and I was able to persuade Butlin's facilities manager to purchase it from the school.

Butlin's subsequently refurnished and repainted it, and put it back in the resort as a static display of Butlin's history. 

Sadly it only took a year for some moronic guests to vandalise it to the point it was beyond repair and had to be scrapped, and that's after primary school kids taking good care of it for well over a decade. Sad.

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

8 minutes ago, Gazza said:

You really shouldn't feel the need to prove yourself to anyone Gazza. They can choose to either believe what you say, or not. It matters not one way or another! 

Edited by pushbutton

5 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

You really shouldn't feel the need to prove yourself to anyone Gazza. They can choose to either believe what you say, or not. It mattersnot one way or another! 

Well....., I wasn't the OP of that news, I was just confirming what skeetafly had said for the benefit of T-Bone.

• Like 1

• rappa locked this topic