The Off Topic Topic

Popped into Movie World yesterday, and DC Rivals definitely lived up to the hype.

But I rode Arkham Asylum yesterday as well - man it is not looking good. The coaster is unbearably rough, especially on the legs, and beats your lower half up a shitload. The restraints are so uncomfortable on the legs now it feels like your legs have been cut off. Is surprisingly worse than Cyclone back when it had the original Arrow trains. Like most Arrows and Vekomas, the ride experience has deteriorated.

Anyone else find AA unbearably rough when they rode it in the last few weeks? IMO the next capex project should be replacing AA.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

5 hours ago, Glubbo said:

When I went on Tuesday this week, the single rider line took longer than the general line, despite only having 10 people lined up. If the numbers only work out to one or two single riders per cycle, and there's a dozen or more in the single rider line, I'd suggest swapping to the general line if it's no further back than 80-100 people (Green Lantern / Atrocitus ?).

Yeah my general rule is one rider = one cycle for single rider. If there are 10 people in the SR line than expect to wait at least 10 cycles.

6 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Anyone else find AA unbearably rough when they rode it in the last few weeks? IMO the next capex project should be replacing AA.

I find it very rough. It's one of the few rides on the GC that I'll just ride once and that's enough for me. And then there's Hot Wheels which I'll ride once in my lifetime as I enjoy not having roller coaster endued scoliosis.

To be honest, when I went to WBMW and rode AA about 3 - 4 years ago it was still rough. It's just aged really poorly and is possibly the weakest attraction on their line-up (apart from Scooby Doo's Nothing Coaster).

I rarely ride AA - only once every 5th visit or so. Too rough. The seats and restraints are alright.

The land space stretching from AA back to the western area including the old western show stage area is massive. Would be great if they added a 2nd western themed ride - but only after they put a family ride in LTRR's building first.

From some of the negative comments about Arkham Asylum I can only assume some people haven't experienced it with VR.

If you haven't, I really can't recommend it highly enough. Makes it a completely different experience. I don't even notice the roughness of the ride as I'm immersed in Gotham City with the Joker! 

• Like 2

Haven't ridden AA but I think SLCs in essence have a great layout depite the usually horrible comfort. I rode Mayan at Energylandia, which was built in 2015 and has had from the start the new trains with vest restraints. It is actually decent fun! The ride has strong forces and is well paced too. You still have a couple of jolts at some moments, but overall the ride comfort is much improved compared to your regular SLC.

I wonder if Vekoma did some slight track modifications, as Mind Eraser at SFNE which also has vests is much rougher and much less enjoyable...

OB2RCsJ.jpg
9KeZE4o.jpg

• Like 1

You can't get rid of the shaking, bouncing or vibrations from an SLC. They are running around with extended wheel gaps where they will bump from side to side of the rails. It only gets worse as the wheels wear. You can lessen it if your track is almost flawless and your restraints are good, but it's never going to be "a smooth ride" when you compare it with designs from this century.

Choice between legs and head taking a beating, yeah, im ok with newer restraints from either kumbak or vekoma pressing down on your thighs vs the old over the shoulder type that left people bleeding and really restricted your vision. Biggest feature out of the updated seat / restraint designs wasn't so much the comfort, for me it was how you could see pretty much everything. Before you had two big "padded" cushions next to your head, you couldn't see much other than what was directly in front of you, or just above you. Now you can look in pretty much any direction.

1 hour ago, Levithian said:

You can't get rid of the shaking, bouncing or vibrations from an SLC. They are running around with extended wheel gaps where they will bump from side to side of the rails. It only gets worse as the wheels wear. You can lessen it if your track is almost flawless and your restraints are good, but it's never going to be "a smooth ride" when you compare it with designs from this century.

Choice between legs and head taking a beating, yeah, im ok with newer restraints from either kumbak or vekoma pressing down on your thighs vs the old over the shoulder type that left people bleeding and really restricted your vision. Biggest feature out of the updated seat / restraint designs wasn't so much the comfort, for me it was how you could see pretty much everything. Before you had two big "padded" cushions next to your head, you couldn't see much other than what was directly in front of you, or just above you. Now you can look in pretty much any direction.

The problem is that you can't get rid of the pain on SLC's. Instead, the question lies, as to where can you move the pain. Should it be in the head or in the legs? Regardless of what restraints the ride has, something will get beaten up on an SLC. On Kumbak restraints, not only your legs get crushed, but the coaster's jerky transitions beat your legs up rather than your head. Original Vekoma restraints have the infamous headbanging common to many SLC's.

The only way to solve this coaster is to get rid of it. It needs to be ripped down in the next decade and be replaced with something far better. I can already start to smell the ride being on its last legs now.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

What do you expect for track designed 30 years ago? Not only that, but something that runs that fast and has that many transitions and inversions? The turn of the decade? or are we talking another 8-10 years? Is it on its last legs because you had a bad ride? after they spent a few million rolling out VR?

Some of you guys have some really unrealistic impressions of just how large our parks are vs overseas. You don't even look at getting rid of fully functioning capital until your forced, it's just not in the budget to write off attractions like that. While guests keep riding it, it'll stay open.

Edit: Pro tip. You need a little gap between the lap bar and your thighs. If everything is pushed down so tight its pushing into your legs in the station, it's only going to get tighter.

Edited by Levithian

On 25/01/2018 at 2:26 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

Anyone else find AA unbearably rough when they rode it in the last few weeks?

Perhaps I’m way too complacent but I don’t find AA unbearably rough. It’s definitely seen better days and the harnesses really cinch down on your legs during the ride but it’s still OK. 

The only other Vekoma slc I’ve ridden is Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Considering it’s 3 years younger, it’s a far worse ride experience. My head and ears copped a battering nearly the entire ride due to its ride restraints. 

It might just be me, but I've found Arkham has become significantly worse over the past year or so. A few years ago I could ride it pretty comfortably, now I just find it painful (and not just in the legs, the track feels a lot rougher and it rattles your whole body around a lot). I'd love to see a Vekoma flying coaster in it's place. Judging by some of their most recent coasters and what F.L.Y. is shaping up to be I think it would be a great investment for the park. Of course their next coaster would probably be 5-10 years away, but I think AA will be on its last legs in that time and definitely due for a replacement.

15 hours ago, Aimsley81 said:

The only other Vekoma slc I’ve ridden is Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Rode Kong last year, wasn't that bad. Preferred it over Arkham due to the stupidly heavy on your legs restraints Arkham has. Need to seek out a SLC with the new style trains to see how they compare.

Arkham is an updated SLC. The vekoma restraints still push down on your thighs too, they just have the added bonus of strap like upper body harness pressing down on your chest too. Both shifted away from upper body restraints by changing the seating position (tilting it way back and lowering the weight center), so the focus of the lap bar is now on your thighs.

• rappa locked this topic