The Off Topic Topic

Went to movieworld today and it was pretty good, some things to notice though.

*Wild West Was Doing A few Test Runs

*Both Superman and DC Rivals were Running 2 Trains

*Scooby Doo Has Been Closed All Day For technical Dificulties

*Doomsday Broke Down For About an hour and just reopened

10 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Pretty cool night event at DW tonight and only about 250-300 or so in attendance which made the queues amazingly short/walk on. Plus had the PotBelleez, a foam dance party and fireworks (first time i’d seen the top of tower used for an extensive launch pad for fireworks) 

951DEA29-AE5D-49F2-A423-4A074B566777.jpeg

32FCFB46-CADC-4F1F-9D21-BC9CC5CBCC05.jpeg

399AF413-4077-49E5-8AEC-B2105583E706.jpeg

DEA7A325-1149-4DD4-9141-3A0B48995287.jpeg

E8FF5E02-B76B-4449-9AF3-A34F3E7EDE69.jpeg

Was a good night. Feel sorry for those poor souls who had to clean up afterwards..

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Pretty cool night event at DW tonight and only about 250-300 or so in attendance which made the queues amazingly short/walk on. Plus had the PotBelleez, a foam dance party and fireworks (first time i’d seen the top of tower used for an extensive launch pad for fireworks) 

How do the animals go with the fireworks? Dogs don't usually like them, and the Dingo enclosure is what, 150m from the tower?

11 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

How do the animals go with the fireworks? Dogs don't usually like them, and the Dingo enclosure is what, 150m from the tower?

Corroboree was closed so I unfortunately couldn’t head down there to ask the animals after the fact. I did see a tiger and he said he thought they were GRRRReat! 

Was 500 free tickets given away, and then tickets were upwards of $60-120 to purchase. 

I know the 500 free were snapped up, but given they are free a think a lot of people didn’t end up going (2 of our group couldn’t make it). 

300 May have been an understatement but would not have been much more if there was.. we got there at 6:40 (gates opened at 6:30), waited in line for a few mins to get in, walked down towards Dreamworks as had my 5 year old with me, didn’t walk past a single person, and we were the first and only person to ride Madagascar, then were the only people on Dronkey Flyers, Sword swing & Gingys Gliders. Then went back to Madagascar where there we 6 people on the cycle before us, we were again the only 2 riding on our turn. In Dreamworks I didn’t see a ride run a cycle at capacity all night. 

From what I saw of the thrill rides in passing it was no more than a 1 cycle wait for any ride (didn’t venture down to the TOT2 queue line but would have imagined capacity meant that would have been longer). 

Final show and fireworks at 9:50pm after rides had closer wouldn’t have been more than 150-200 people watching - far less than say the nightly Music/fire show was on last January. 

Just a couple of questions about DW, is this the pool of where the Toboggan slide used to stand? And is that where they conduct maintenance and store the steam train? 

There is this building on Dreamworld's property, by the overflow carpark, what is it? Appears as if it is well maintained.

What is this red roofed building next to blue lagoon? And are those blown up rubber rings for the blue lagoon pool?

Why do they have so many random buildings by the thunderbolt dumping site? At least 2 large warehouses, and lots of little ones scattered around. Does anyone know if they are still used?

DW_Image_5.PNG

DW_Image_1.PNG

DW_Image_3.PNG

DW_Image_7.PNG

Edited by themeparkaddict

I believe the all the pools were filled in about 10 years ago but it appears to be a run off area. 

Yes that is the train maintenance/storage bay. 

That house is the big brother house 

The red-roofed building is either an old f&b outlet of an amenities block from memory, they did use it when Big brother was being filmed for the studio audience. 

The sheds your circled are maintenance/storage/grounds keeper maintenance 

16 minutes ago, themeparkaddict said:

Why do they have so many random buildings by the thunderbolt dumping site? At least 2 large warehouses, and lots of little ones scattered around. Does anyone know if they are still used?

It takes a lot to maintain the entire park. those buildings are used for maintenance and storage.

As a comparison, behind the road runner coaster at movie world:

image.thumb.png.ae95598c601128adb343d41f325ac46f.png

In addition, Stunt Driver has it's own maintenance sheds behind the stunt show facade, and in addition to that, many of the studio support buildings - such as the paint shop (its a shack) tend to be shared between the park and the studios - i'm pretty sure the Studios map on their website indicates some buidlings that belong to the park - i just can't remember which ones.

50 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

That house is the big brother house

Wow, that was a stuff up! I was always under the impression that this was the big brother house. So is this image below the Dreamworld Studios? Sorry for that !

So when the house was open for viewing would people have had to walk through Blue Lagoon in order to get to it? It seems like quite a walk, parts now seem very overgrown too.

Another question, how often do you think staff/engineers check up/walk in and around abandoned structures like the BBH or Blue Lagoon? Would it be every day, or just very occasionally? 

And why would they have chosen to cement the blue lagoon pool and not just fill it with dirt? 

How come you might often see small excavators present on the cemented pool throughout a day at dreamworld (viewed from GD) which often change position or location throughout the day, what would they be using these for?

Where did the old slides go? I notice one of the slides is still present on the volcano. The other fiberglass one and toboggan was removed long ago, were they scrapped or moved?

DW_Image_8.PNG

Sorry, I have tried to search through old threads however I can't seem to find the answers to these questions. Thanks very much for any answers. 

@themeparkaddict

yes that photo is of the studios 

yes it was a bit of a hike.

the big brother house is basically abandoned. I doubt anyone is checked on it regularly. 

Blue lagoon seems to be used as a staff smoking area so there are people there regularly. 

Concreting in a unused pool is commonplace. Dirt settles with rain and compacts requiring refilling, periods of dry weather make it extremely dusty. It’s easier & safer to concrete over. 

The old slide would likely be in the trash or graveyard somewhere 

no idea about the excavators, may just be kept there for storage

39 minutes ago, themeparkaddict said:

Wow, that was a stuff up! I was always under the impression that this was the big brother house. So is this image below the Dreamworld Studios? Sorry for that !

So when the house was open for viewing would people have had to walk through Blue Lagoon in order to get to it? It seems like quite a walk, parts now seem very overgrown too.

DW_Image_8.PNG

This building is the Dreamworld Studios, and was used for the crowd during the LIVE shows (eliminations, etc). Large black curtains were hung at the back. The housemates would get a golf buggy ride to this when eliminated. And yes it was quite a walk for guests when the house opened to the public, and you would get to walk through the Blue Lagoon area. 

You can see parts of the walk to the BB House in this Parkz Update in 2012:

https://www.parkz.com.au/update/2012/12/21/308-Dreamworld_December_2012.html

• Like 1

I've created this for total clarity.

5acab0c0b294d_Screenshot2018-04-0910_12_52.thumb.jpg.0f8c0a38901053343a1a9c0bd4a73f0f.jpg

A) Food (mainly fish & chips) and merch building for Blue Lagoon with a large shaded eating area.

B ) Not too sure off the top of my head, believe it was just a storage building which had some lockers built into it along with the Food & Merch building. Had the Dreamworld logo on one side as you would see it clearly in shot during housemate evictions.

C) Where the kiddie pool was.

D) Toilet block for Blue Lagoon

E) Entry way for housemate evictions plus plenty of production facilities throughout the building

F) Temporary space that would house production facilities.

G) Service building that would sell merch etc.

H) Dreamworld Amphitheatre & entry way for non-Dreamworld related productions.

I) Train Shed

J) Blue Lagoon's main mountain. The two fibreglass slides (Aqualoop Flume & The Toboggan) have been removed, leaving only the concrete tube slide.

K) Entry split for Dreamworld Amphitheatre and Blue Lagoon.

L) Splashdown for The Toboggan.

M) Where the main pool and splashdowns for The Aqualoop Flume and Krakatoa's Revenge (the concrete slide) used to be. The reason why the main pool was filled in and The Toboggan's splashdown pool wasn't was because management at the time believed they could use it as a fully wicked sick event space. On a few occasions it was used to house seasonal walkthrough attractions and the like. I could be wrong, but I believe the same building that Evilution is housed in was the same one that was placed over Blue Lagoon's main pool at one point.

I believe that answers most of the questions from @themeparkaddict - as for the other buildings near Tiger Island, they're all for maintenance etc. I'm sure the engineeer/projects/fitters at the park keep an eye on that space to keep the buildings standing up, however at one point it was looking pretty average so they've since placed a huge wall up a long the train line so guests can no longer see in.

Edited by Roachie
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Roachie said:

I've created this for total clarity.

5acab0c0b294d_Screenshot2018-04-0910_12_52.thumb.jpg.0f8c0a38901053343a1a9c0bd4a73f0f.jpg

A) Food (mainly fish & chips) and merch building for Blue Lagoon with a large shaded eating area.

B ) Not too sure off the top of my head, believe it was just a storage building which had some lockers built into it along with the Food & Merch building. Had the Dreamworld logo on one side as you would see it clearly in shot during housemate evictions.

C) Where the kiddie pool was.

D) Toilet block for Blue Lagoon

E) Entry way for housemate evictions plus plenty of production facilities throughout the building

F) Temporary space that would house production facilities.

G) Service building that would sell merch etc.

H) Dreamworld Amphitheatre & entry way for non-Dreamworld related productions.

I) Train Shed

J) Blue Lagoon's main mountain. The two fibreglass slides (Aqualoop Flume & The Toboggan) have been removed, leaving only the concrete tube slide.

K) Entry split for Dreamworld Amphitheatre and Blue Lagoon.

L) Splashdown for The Toboggan.

M) Where the main pool and splashdowns for The Aqualoop Flume and Krakatoa's Revenge (the concrete slide) used to be. The reason why the main pool was filled in and The Toboggan's splashdown pool wasn't was because management at the time believed they could use it as a fully wicked sick event space. On a few occasions it was used to house seasonal walkthrough attractions and the like. I could be wrong, but I believe the same building that Evilution is housed in was the same one that was placed over Blue Lagoon's main pool at one point.

I believe that answers most of the questions from @themeparkaddict - as for the other buildings near Tiger Island, they're all for maintenance etc. I'm sure the engineeer/projects/fitters at the park keep an eye on that space to keep the buildings standing up, however at one point it was looking pretty average so they've since placed a huge wall up a long the train line so guests can no longer see in.

Wow! Thank you so much for creating that diagram, it is much appreciated, clarifies a lot of questions which have been sitting in my head for awhile. Thanks for taking your time to create that for us!

36 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Blue lagoon seems to be used as a staff smoking area so there are people there regularly. 

Interesting to find out that is a smoking area. When you go along the train and pass the wiggles world area, you often see the staff smoking (kinda wished they put that part out of view). I don't know why staff would walk all the way to blue lagoon to have a smoke/break though. Would have just thought they would go to there cars or something. Wish there was some more higher quality photos of that area from ground view, would be interesting to see in detail how badly the adjacent buildings have decayed. 

I kinda wished they would demolish the area like they are doing with Gold Rush.

• rappa locked this topic