The Off Topic Topic

1 hour ago, Roachie said:

I tried dozens of times to crack that net but failed. Admittedly I was probably only 13 at the time, maybe needed a bit more weight.

We would pull the front up like this guy but if you did it to early you could fall backwards and hit your head on the slide.  I also think it was easier to make the net before they replaced the ply boards with plastic ones.

NINE.thumb.jpg.22945b95296291a243c3241df7bde146.jpg

I remember riding the one at Sea World. Yes, the plastic toboggans were damn heavy - made worse by the molded plastic getting holes in them, allowing water inside - they still maintained their buoyancy - but having a few litres of water in there certainly weight it down just that much more!

17 hours ago, MickeyD said:

I wonder if anyone ever stacked it badly on one of these Toboggan slides? NOT surprising today they are a thing of the past.. good times 

The transition at the end of the slide had the tendency to push you backwards as the slide levelled out.   The most common stacks were caused by people leaning backwards during this transition.  I once witnessed a woman fall backwards and crack the back of her head on the end of the slide at Amazons.

15 hours ago, Levithian said:

Amazons used to have one too.

I remember the Amazon one but I was too young to ever ride it before Amazons closed. 

Not sure about this but I have some friends who just came back from the Gold Coast. We were talking about there trip and they mentioned to me that they had gotton a free 2 week pass to MW, SW and WNW because the had bought a season pass to WNW Sydney every season since it opened. Has this always been a thing? Can anyone confirm this promotion?

it's unusual for them to 'add a train' during the day (this tends to blow out the queue further as the ride is shut down for a considerable period whilst doing so).

Usually they 'predict' their traffic for the day, and decide prior to opening how many trains they will run that day. Usually they stick by that decision on all but the rarest of occasions when the park gets busier.

it's not indicative of a problem with a train - usually just that the park's attendance spiked higher than they anticipated.

• Like 1

They were running two trains over the weekend. So either it's a lot quieter than expected, or something did happen during the week to remove it. Were they still running 2 trains at superman and road runner? If its quiet they normally drop back to one on these two, not much point sending virtually empty trains.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2018 at 1:49 PM, themagician said:

I remember the old Toboggan at Wet n Wild and how fast and awesome it was when I was a kid. They had a lift hill, so you didnt have to carry the toboggans up. I vaguely remember how heavy they were, but surprised people had to carry them up at DW.

G1423.thumb.jpg.1403d16067948e7ee132cf10f6922c10.jpg

Wet n Wild didn't have a lift for the toboggans until it became the "Double Screamer" with the big ass heavy double plastic toboggans. Prior to that they were timber, damn heavy and you had to carry them. If 2 if you were my dad as I was big enough to ride (WetNWild originally had a crazy small height requirement for that death trap) but not strong enough to carry the sled :P

Many years ago I stumbled upon a document from way back when showing all the injuries/payouts to people hurt at the waterpark and WnW... it was crazy the severity and frequencies of injuries on those old school slides like the toboggans and the speed slides... clear why we don't have them today in sue happy 2018.

Edited by djrappa
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Original said:

6 staff on Rivals also sounds to me like attempting to run at full capacity.

how many staff normally run Rivals with 2 trains compared to that of just one. 

It’s technically possible (although rarely happens) for them to run 2 trains with four staff - one main op, one sorter and two checkers, but I’ve found when they’re running two trains they almost always have an extra staff member out the front as a greeter and during the busiest times another one selling backwards passes. One train operation usually has 3-4 staff members on duty - one main op, two checkers (one of these doubling as a sorter) and then usually a greeter (although I’ve seen it done without one when it’s raining or particularly hot).

Edited by Santa07

16 minutes ago, joel said:

At movieworld today, and Arkham Asylum has got two trains. 1 on the track and another is currently being assembled. I thought Arkham only ever had 1train??

Does that train have seats or is it just wheel assemblies that are being assembled?

• rappa locked this topic