The Off Topic Topic

14 minutes ago, themeparkaddict said:

STAPLED is a common word used in the theme park industry to describe a harness being pushed down and locking into place with excessive force on the human body.

STAPLED is a word which should be understood by all theme park enthusiasts in order to be declared legally as a theme park and/or coaster enthusiast.

Better hand in my membership card then. 

10 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

staff on DC Rivaks where very slow and started stapeling people

I have heard the term used before, but I wouldn’t say it is “common”, especially here in Australia.

* By the way it is Stapling not Stapeling 

Bahaha

whilst I wouldn’t rate myself particularly highly in a rank of enthusiasts on this site, I have personally never heard of “stapling”in the way you just explained it, and it seems most haven’t. 

Given the OP seems like he’d struggle to spell his own name, I’m not surprised people questioned whether he meant another word altogether. 

2 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

There where worse then they normally are, it took nearly 5 mins to get one train out and i normally get stapled 

This still makes no sense even with your explanation. So he wasn’t stapled today? So he went on the ride without being secured? 

I'm surprised that stapling is not a well-known word around here, I see it used all the time in other enthusiast communities (even seen it a few times here). Not being mean or anything - I really don't care if people don't know a particular term - just interesting that it's not as common a word as some of us thought.

On 03/05/2004 at 10:10 AM, Richard said:

If this doesn't prompt Intamin to seriously review their lapbar design and guest weight/build guidelines. This is the fourth time one of these lapbars has ejected a rider, third time it's killed and third time it has been an overweight person. People on other sites who were at the park during the day and had ridden as little as an hour prior suggested that the operators were ensuring all seatbelts were very tight and stapling the lapbars etc., so there's not much of a chance that it was overly loose. It still baffles me that someone, overweight or not can slip out of a closed lapbar and a properly fastened seatbelt. For what it's worth, this is the same lapbar as seen on Tower of Terror at Dreamworld.

@Santa07

I have seen it within other enthusiast communities too "but" it is also very common to get the same response from enthusiast when somebody says it.

sTAPLE.thumb.JPG.62aad59615ce634d31a3826a998ffe67.JPG

The problem is when Richard said it it made sense and nobody questioned it.  Nobody ever understands what @Rollercoaster_Loveris saying.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 3

Staple or Stapling
A negative term used to describe the action of a ride operator ratcheting down a lap bar or other restraint or tightly cinching a seat belt, thereby making a rider uncomfortable. By restricting movement, overly "stapling" riders also reduces the sensation of airtime.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/roller-coaster-terms-a-to-d-3224464

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I think in general usage - using it as a descriptive term to describe an action, it works (for example - in Richards quote above) - the context is clear.

Using it as the sole word to describe the action however - the word doesn't have the usage.

That's just so Rufus.

I say to you Alex the "B" man what makes an enthusiast?

My top 5 are -

1. You know you're a coaster enthusiast when you visit this website everyday.

2. You know you're a coaster enthusiast when you drive over a dip or rise in the road and rate the airtime.

3. You know you're a coaster enthusiast when you think having your lap bar 10cm above your waist is "Fun."

4. You know you're a coaster enthusiast when the word "Woody" has no sexual connotations whatsoever!

5. You know you're a coaster enthusiast when you're particular on where you sit on a roller coaster.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Coast man rides hypercoaster 900 times

JUNE 08, 2018

MOST people ride the largest rollercoaster in the southern hemisphere just once.

Not Leonard Hebert, who has made it his mission to ride Movie World’s DC Hypercoaster at least 1000 times – within two months.

Mr Hebert has now ridden the rollercoaster 909times and he has just one week left to hit his target.

The hypercoaster raches speeds up to 115km/h and is 1.4km long and 61.6m high.

The Sorrento local first decided to take out a season pass to the theme park on April 15 when he couldn’t think of anything better to do with his free time.

“I had nothing else to do, so thought, just do it,” he said.

So nearly every single day, the coaster-fanatic devotes up to six hours a day to his unusual hobby, happily driving the 20 minutes from his home to the theme park before heading to work later in the day.

He said had visited so often that he was on friendly terms with the staff and that tourists visiting the park on seven-day passes recognised him.

“Kids sometimes try and get a seat next to me,” he said. On quiet days, Mr Hebert said he could ride the hypercoaster up to 40 times, while busier days meant he could only squeeze in about 13 rides.

He has also ridden the hypercoaster backwards more than 100 times at $10 a pop.

Mr Hebert said his interest in the rollercoaster stemmed from his experience building and operating rides at exhibitions and shows for two or three years across Australia, including the Ekka and on Philip Island.

Village Roadshow Theme Parks Chief Operating Officer, Bikash Randhawa said there had been a great repsonse to the hypercoaster since it opened late last year.

“It is an incredible accomplishment for this guest to have ridden the coaster the amount of times he had, but given how much fun the ride is we can’t blame him,” he said.

“We anticipate there will be a wave of guests now wanting to break this record and we look forward to welcoming them to the park.”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/gold-coast-local-rides-dc-hypercoaster-at-movie-world-909-times-wants-to-get-to-1000/news-story/2d497685f73e80e47a103158297d8632

909 rides on DCR in 7 weeks... 

thats a damn good effort, though I’m thinking Arkham Asylum may be more apt for Leonard... 

• rappa locked this topic