The Off Topic Topic

Interesting marketing campaign/activation. 

Im at SW, and it’s lunch time and I just got this message on my phone. 

To be honest I think this is the type of marketing that works well and all parks should employ, they have your mobile number so once you scan in with your annual pass you get offers valid for the day. 

47E066EC-0B1C-445C-AE5B-4276155F219F.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Interesting marketing campaign/activation. 

Im at SW, and it’s lunch time and I just got this message on my phone. 

To be honest I think this is the type of marketing that works well and all parks should employ, they have your mobile number so once you scan in with your annual pass you get offers valid for the day. 

47E066EC-0B1C-445C-AE5B-4276155F219F.jpeg

I think this is a great marketing technique, especially because it's descriptive but relatively non-obtrusive and (I'm guessing and hoping) that you only receive the message once a day.

• Like 1

Is it because you've scanned in, or walked passed a Bluetooth beacon that's detected your phone ? 

Had a rep trying to sell me one of those beacons. "it's great, 95% of the people who walk passed will get your message. You should have one now".

I'm one of the 5% who have that function blocked 😁 

The potentially more annoying version of this, is to do a win back offer.  Encourage you to visit the park on a certain day for a certain deal.

Not sure why they don't do that, there'd surely be plenty of pass holders that don't actually visit monthly (or only visit a single park) and they'd have data to push those offers.  Then again, their F&B is very sub par so not really very tempting..maybe the Sea World Resort is better than the average.  Or they could offer discounts on other things.

2 hours ago, joz said:

Signs that the park is second to the park..

Sea World's lack of attention was only second to Wet 'n' Wild Sydney, and now Village don't even have that excuse.

I'd bet good money in the next shareholder call you'll get Burke blaming the pirates for illegal downloads and Sea World (which is kind of fitting actually.)

Edited by Slick
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, themeparknut2011 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I need some Movie World help. I have a mate who is doing a YouTube video on Movie Park Germany. He asked me if our Movie World ever had a "The Neverending Story" presence in its early days. Anyone know? I can't remember any, but I don't fully remember the studio tour.

Hi @themeparknut2011 Australia's Movie World never had a Neverending Story ride. When Germany's Movie wWorld opened some Aus MW originals were improved and altered slightly here and there.. They included Looney Tunes Dark ride (yours was set in the Black Forest, ours Australia) Gremlins (yours had 'Alf', we had Beetlejuice), Roxy Theatre (Germany debuted with Marvin the Martian which Aus didn't get till later), Batman Adventure (roughly the same but Germany ride had a couple more Motion Bases) and Bermuda Triangle (roughly the same as our version formally located at sister park Sea World).

Our Lethal Weapon was a Vekoma SLC. Not sure what  type/brand of Coaster Germany's LW was but I know it had duelling tracks and by all accounts was a very rough and unreliable ride.

Neverending Story was extremely popular in Germany and so it made sense to open the Park with a major ride based on it.  As you know it was a large river rapids ride that featured indoor sections and large sets. 

I worked with the Staff that assisted in preparing and opening Movie World  Germany back in the late 90's. Likewise, Germany sent some of their Staff out to Australia to help improve standards in Germany's Park.

While in many ways Germany's WBs Movie World was a Superior Park aesthetically and with more content than the original, the whole "Warner Bros." Association never washed well with the locals in Dusseldorf. Opening day was an absolute disaster and the Park really didnt get off on the right foot. There were Protesters, a Skydiving Accident and a Guest had a Heart Attack while in the Batman ride. 

Both Movie Worlds have long since distanced themselves from offering mostly themed "experiences" focusing more on big rides and Coasters nowadays, but it would seem MoviePark was a better fit somehow for Germany once all the WBs indicies were all but stripped away.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

In my experience there has never been an issue going to the resort for lunch and returning to the park.

21 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Nor in mine. I've often stopped at the resort for a coffee or snack. Much nicer than the food outlets in the park.

There was a point in time where day visitors were using the resort to park their car and access the park, given the extraordinarily long lines at the front of the park - combined with the disgustingly slow process to get in.

Then, the resort prevented day visitors using the gift shop park access gates, requiring you to be a resort guest to use them. I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

It may have been short lived, but i never knew it had changed again so i was still of the opinion the policy stood.

42 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

Opening day was an absolute disaster and the Park really didnt get off on the right foot. There were Protesters, a Skydiving Accident and a Guest had a Heart Attack while in the Batman ride. 

Protests about what? Was it one of those "anti any business that makes money" type protests that boomers seem to love?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Protests about what? Was it one of those "anti any business that makes money" type protests that boomers seem to love?

Kinda. More Anti-Capitalist - they really didn't want for Americanisation. Germany already had a bustling Film industry and didn't want the yanks trying to show em how it's done, so to speak. 

I still remember a huge banner held up by a couple of Protesters outside Roxy Theatre that  said "WBs GO HOME"  - a picture taken by the Press and put on the front page of many Newspapers covering the Opening!

Despite generating thousands of jobs and offering a sizeable boost to the economy, the locals hardly rolled out the red carpet! It was also really hard to get (and keep) good Workers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

There was a point in time where day visitors were using the resort to park their car and access the park, given the extraordinarily long lines at the front of the park - combined with the disgustingly slow process to get in.

Then, the resort prevented day visitors using the gift shop park access gates, requiring you to be a resort guest to use them. I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

It may have been short lived, but i never knew it had changed again so i was still of the opinion the policy stood.

If you get off the monorail at the resort station you can get your hand stamped in the shop to allow reentry to Sea World.

If you parked at the resort there could possibly be a bit of difficulty getting into the theme park without such a stamp.

• rappa locked this topic