The Off Topic Topic

There is a ride photo stand located on the ground, either side of the tour. They were/are fitted into what I would describe as a lifeguard seat (similar to what they have at WWW/WnW wave pools). And it would take the photo just as you hit the brakes. There is a photo booth to your left as you exit the ride and make your way down the exit ramp.

A couple of years ago they installed a metal bar attached to the top of the gondolas, and there were 3 cameras installed along the bar, with would record your whole ride experience. I think this was removed soon after the incident 

Someone might know the real reasoning, but I’d say that for the photos, either they broke or the cost to have the photo store open was higher than what that store was making, so they just closed it and didn’t bother with it

When the ride went under extensive maintenance soon after the incident, I would say they just removed it either for safety or maintenance access reasons (No real idea, just putting thoughts out there)

Edited by themagician

On 17/02/2019 at 8:41 AM, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Did giant drop ever have ride photos or videos?

Back in the day, if I remember correctly, the East Side Photographer sat in the spot on the right of THIS image. The Western side had/has the lifeguard style that used to house the photographer, as @themagician has said. When they stopped using  photographers, they installed an automated camera in the same spot the photographer used to sit. A photo I took in 2005:

DropCam.jpg

Edited by Glubbo
  • Like 3

VRTP seem to be continuing on the adding "Bonuses" that require a further spend with their promos rather than discounting.
New targeted product in between the 3 day pass ($129) and 7 day ($149) only available online and via 133 386.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.02.15 pm.png

Considering the lack of crowds at Dreamworld I find it interesting they are still trying to get $129 for an adult annual pass for new pass holders rather than going back to the discount model. Season Passholes that expired in December can still get the $79 renewal.

The summer 3 days for the price of 1 plus photo pass also seems to have been extended indefinitely.

Edited by Jordan M.

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Because over a decade, both companies have shown that the discount model is ultimately not sustainable.

Then why are they continuing to offer renewals at the discount? I think in Dreamworld's current circumstances having $99 for a year would better than nothing.  Wouldn't it be better to position yourself as a budget option whilst the park is in need of major investment?

Edited by Jordan M.

43 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

Then why are they continuing to offer renewals at the discount?

Respecting loyalty?

Because in business it's cheaper to keep an existing customer than obtain a new one?

Because they can?

44 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

Wouldn't it be better to position yourself as a budget option

No. And i'll tell you why - A while ago, an entrepreneur launched a business in Australia, and his aim was to undercut the big players by offering a budget product. He was successful, and managed to get quite a bit of market share from the big players.

Later down the track, he rebranded it slightly - but kept a fairly similar name. He started providing a more polished product. Offering extra services. Then he started charging a bit more. These days, he tries to market himself as being on the same level as the big player in the industry and the product is far closer to 'on par' with other big players - but unfortunately, many still regard the product as a 'lesser standard' than the big boys, because of their budget, cut-price history.

The minute Dreamworld tries to tackle the 'budget' angle, their reputation will forever stay in the toilet as the sub-standard park against Movie World \ VRTP. No matter what they do to the park after that - the budget monkey will forever be on their back.

If you haven't yet figured out the entrepreneur's business, its

Virgin Blue \ Virgin Australia

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

There goes the shop... 

Also not understanding the fountain of improb votes on my previous post? I took the photos, so they have no improbability haha

Although not solely responsible, it seems that @www worker, i mean @www worker 2.0, errr I mean @Www worker 3.0 might be a little butt hurt about the reactions to this comment:

Although - on review, it seems to be about the only reaction you get from them... so it appears to be just a normal thing...

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Although not solely responsible, it seems that @www worker, i mean @www worker 2.0, errr I mean @Www worker 3.0 might be a little butt hurt about the reactions to this comment:

He's butt hurt because of his web of lies.

On 14/01/2019 at 6:47 PM, Www worker 3.0 said:

Got to ride today, while its not soarin it's the best thing to happen to DW for a long time.

My fav is still when @www worker 2.0 was watching the footage of TRR and having discussions with

Intamin about what went wrong. 

On 26/10/2016 at 1:56 PM, www worker 2.0 said:

Had to view the CCTV footage last night quite horrific.

On 25/10/2016 at 10:53 PM, www worker 2.0 said:

The rides computer, rafts and all spare parts and manuals are designed and come from Intamin themselves.

On 25/10/2016 at 10:43 PM, www worker 2.0 said:

Intamin most definitely built the ride we have a "manual" for the ride from them. I can only assume they are trying to distant themselves from this incident due to their presence in the USA.

On 25/10/2016 at 7:51 PM, www worker 2.0 said:

Early thoughts are a major computer malfunction which hasn't stopped the conveyor like it should have. We initially thought rider error but have ruled it out. Still very early though, it's going to be a long night.

Engineer and system expert from Intamin currently en route to help with investigations.

On 25/10/2016 at 7:56 PM, www worker 2.0 said:

The conveyor is sensor controlled.

What type of person talks themselves up with lies while a tragedy is unfolding?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Is there any footage of Giant Drop when it used to drop a bit, stop and than drop again?

It could be hard to find some footage but a friend in need is a friend is a friend indeed so I will give you the low-down.

Close your eyes @Gold Coast Amusement Force (last time I said that to someone I ended up with a kid)

& picture yourself on the GD at the top.

LITTLE DROP

LITTLE SLOW DROP

BIG DROP

BIG SLOW DROP

STOP

@Www worker 3.0 Give me 1000 more fountains please because all you're achieving is proving me right.

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.thumb.JPG.20b75855279499bcee2f32b1bfef76af.JPG

(side note @Www worker 3.0fountains don't do anything 😂)

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 2

• rappa locked this topic