The Off Topic Topic

Broadbeach Carousel is undergoing removal

Broadbeach carousel: the horses have bolted and so have so many great memories

Paul Weston, Gold Coast Bulletin
March 19, 2019 2:06pm
Subscriber only

THE Broadbeach Carousel is being dismantled, sparking concerns that the heart will be ripped out of the popular family destination.

However, the horses and parts of the ride are not going to storage, as first planned by council, and will find a new home with the Showman’s Guild.

Councillors in January voted unanimously to remove the favourite family ride after area councillor Paul Taylor raised concerns about its safety.

3e943810da80340e97199af8227bbf40?width=1024 Demolition work has begun on the Rotary Carousel Broadbeach. Picture: Jerad Williams

Reports suggested council officers were keen to complete the work before the start of the school holidays next month and refurbish the site in May.

Former councillor Eddy Sarroff today told The Bulletin: “They have wrapped up the horses in plastic and they are removing the interior pieces.

“This is the destruction of Broadbeach. The heart has been removed from the family destination. It is very sad. Businesses are struggling without this major attraction.”

The Broadbeach businessman along with other residents had staged a protest around the ride and urged council to spend money to fix it.

Cr Taylor during the council debate apologised for being blunt but told colleagues “if no one wants it, down to the tip with it”.

b9c67890fe5974d8c6bb2ada4c6af97f?width=1024 The work site at the Broadbeach Carousel.

He was concerned about council being legally liable if children were hurt by the ride.

“It was a dangerous situation. After the Dreamworld tragedy, we had to look at it. Two of the horses jumped off the top rail,” Cr Taylor told The Bulletin today.

“The Showman’s Guild has contacted us and they will take the horses and some of mechanical parts. They can have it.

“It will take a week (to remove it). Then I will put down timber floors and seating. I am definitely looking at plans for the area.”

The Bulletin has obtained a report, presented to councillors in a closed session, which shows council officers conducted an expressions of interest process to get a suitably qualified community group to take ownership of the carousel.

5f067756e6442e09a9aebfc26858f274?width=1024 The work site at Broadbeach. Picture: Jerad Williams.

The EOI only attracted a single applicant, and that application was not successful.

The report said the cost for refurbishment of the site had yet to be determined. Council is not making public an estimate provided by officers.

“No capital funding has been allocated for the reinstatement of the existing carousel site in the 2018-19 budget. These works could potentially be funded from savings identified in the March Budge Review,” the report said.

The council did put money into restoring that carousel. It was closed for awhile previously and lots of things were dismantled.

With the change in scrutiny for everything amusement related after dreamworld, id say either the original design of the ride or something about its installation doesnt meet new standards or recomendations and its either too difficult or too costly to bring up to the requirements. Hence the closure or the council putting it out to tender. Not prepared to take on the liability in its current state. 

Its a pity it hasnt been in place for longer though as the horses may have remained wooden. Would have meant it was worth a considerable amount of money, enough to probably save it. 

Edited by Levithian

2 minutes ago, auspicious said:

1. Visit a theme park to film without permission.

2. Act shocked when you're caught and told you're not allowed equipment like cameras and microphones.

3. Upload a video having a tantrum because you weren't given special treatment.

Wow. Bit harsh don’t you think?? They contacted the park days before, who never got back to them. Funfields And Adventure Park didn’t have an issue.

i would say that it’s rather poor form on the park and complete over zealousness on their part. 

The video was hardly a tantrum by the way. 

• Like 5

What purpose does the video serve besides to make gumbaya look bad?? Causing trouble when you don't get your way is pretty much the definition of tantrum.

It's a Saturday so there's probably no marketing or snr management there and it sounds like whoevers in charge told them to get in touch with the proper office staff to organise it with them. Sounds like they handled it well.

Edited by auspicious

I am not Park Chat Lives biggest fan don’t get me wrong. However,  it’s my opinion that they can feel a little aggrieved at how they were treated- it certainly was not the friendliest reception. Given they have done numerous similar videos from other parks, it is disappointing to see such s new park like Gumbuya handle this with such a careless and insensitive way.

The purpose of the video I guess was meant to inform their viewers that the Gumbuya World review would not be going ahead for the reasons given. It WAS heavily promoted on their site so they had to communicate it somehow. 

The last line certainly expressed disappointment and frustration but I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a full blown tantrum......

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 1

I guess they can join the hallowed ranks of theme park journalists like Rob Alvey in getting kicked out of a park for filiming eh DJ.........

Like I said earlier, I guess they had to inform their viewers somehow that the heavily promoted Gumbuya review would not go ahead. There was certainly saltiness in the video but I reckon it was fairly restrained. 

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 2

Complete tantrum.

if things don’t go your way or as planned, you suck it up and leave. Well, that’s what adults do. 

Fair enough if they said get f**ked and turned the hose on you, then have a whinge, but this public “I didn’t get my way wahhhh” just makes them look immature and if anything turns off other parks from giving them access in the future.

2 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Can someone explain the TPR guy getting kicked out story.

It was a throwaway comment mate.

Not sure what everyone’s definition of a tantrum is but dictionary.com gives it as thus:

“a violent demonstration of rage or frustration; sudden burst of ill temper.”

This video, whilst certainly exhibiting elements of frustration, saltiness and disappointment was merely a platform for informing their viewers of their planned trip review having gone awry. Now we can all comment on their reasons for being rejected and their reactions to this but let’s call this video for what it is. A video, explaining the reasons of why a planned trip review didn’t  happen with a very restrained commentary of what happened  in my opinion, doesn’t constitute a full blown tantrum in the very definition and meaning of the word. A  tantrum it simply isn’t. 
And as I have stated before, I bear no great love for Parkchat live or even the presenter Ash. 
  • Like 1

• rappa locked this topic