The Off Topic Topic

Dreamworld do in abundance. Many of their cafes sell alcohol, with Kakado cafe and Tiger Island tea house being personal faves. Movie World serve alcohol at Dirty Harry bar near Scooby Doo only. Nothing to write home about, but a good place to people watch. Sea World serve alcohol at Dockside Tavern, and to me, Dockside Tavern's verandah overlooking the dolphin pools is about the best place on the Gold Coast to have a beer. Despite the fact that Dockside isn't wheelchair accessible, and there are other areas of the park where a drink would also be lovely (Top Terrace and Castaway Bay spring instantly to mind), it is the only place in the park to buy alcohol.

Just thinking that in all my years of travelling and enjoying theme parks across the globe, I have never,ever felt the urge to have alcohol at one. I love beer but I don't go to a theme park to drink. For mine, the two do not mix. Just my opinion- I am sure there are plenty out there who take up the offer.

Edited by Jobe

That's fair enough, it's certainty not for everyone, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else about how they should enjoy a day at a park. Personally though, when you see my avatar, you won't be shocked to know I find the two mix very well. I'm not suggesting getting drunk at a theme park, but 2-3 beers in the middle of the day, accompanied by rides is just awesome fun. I don't do it in new parks often, and really the only times I've had more than 1 at a park overseas is:

* When I went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach, me and the person I was visiting with arrived early, and was granted access to the park before the rides opened. Since there's only so much exploring you can do, we found an open bar and drank 2 or 3 pints waiting for the rides to open (I think they opened at 10.30am)

* When I visited DCA me and the people I was with staked out a place to watch the Electrical Parade, which coincidently was near a bar. 2-3 beers with friends is a nice way to kill the hour waiting for the parade to start.

* Sea World Orlando's old free booze pavilion. On this occasion I was traveling with a good friend who is a proper boozer, and we made a bit of a habit of going back to the pavilion to get a free beer and then taking it to whatever show we were going to see. The sign proclaimed 2 as being the maximum number of free (full sized) samples. We went over that on each visit throughout the day. Great day though.

* Universal Studios Orlando. In my defense here, they sell yard glasses about every 100meters with the idea that you'll fill them with beer, what was I supposed to do?

I dunno, some people unwind in the middle of the day at a park by having a coffee, some by sitting down to a proper meal, some have an ice cream or some other treat. For me, it's a few beers all the way. Like I say, I don't get drunk, but if I've got a couple days to do a park, then a trip to the bar does tend to be part of my day.

Theres nothing i've found more enjoyable than partaking of an icy cold one at Dirty Harry's during a heatwave. If i'm not running to a schedule (which basically means its just the two of us) we'll frequently stop by Dirty Harry's in the afternoon.

I can't say i've ever purchased alcohol at sea world (our wedding party took a few hard lemonade's in, but thats all), but I have enjoyed a few at WnW also.

As Joz said - nobody's talking about getting blind at the park. Australian parks have RSA responsibilities anyway so they'd be unlikely to let you go nuts. (so long as the employee's running the show are paying attention).

Besides - if you do drink a little to excess - and then head for the rides.... you're gunna have a bad time... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A question on VIP passes (or whatever DW/WWW equivalent is called) - we typically buy them and renew them every 12 months, but haven't had any since our last lot expired in June. I was thinking about getting more at Christmas - do they re-release the 12-month ones then, or will they only be valid for 6 months?

A question on VIP passes (or whatever DW/WWW equivalent is called) - we typically buy them and renew them every 12 months, but haven't had any since our last lot expired in June. I was thinking about getting more at Christmas - do they re-release the 12-month ones then, or will they only be valid for 6 months?

Got a release this morning that the "World Pass", which is valid through until Dec 2014 next month, will be for sale from today.

"Please be advised that the old World Pass has been removed from sale and replaced by Unlimited entry until 24/12/2014."

Edited by Wyncenuros

• 3 weeks later...

Jordan, it has all the hallmarks, but something's 'not quite right' for me. Bussy would be the better person to question... the S and the P look 'close' to what they should be, and the dome is roughly right - but the 7 looks wrong, and overall it just doesn't seem to come together right.

Given 7's involvement in the development of the attraction, i'd think something so "front and centre" as the uniform would have nailed the 7 logo perfectly... this hasn't.

I have seen a different patch, which was just SP7, rather than 'S7P'... but it's hard to say. by the time I got familiar with wardrobe, the 7 logo had been stripped from the ride so it would have been different anyway.

Intelligent interaction the latest park theme

AUSTRALIAN theme parks could adopt computer game technology to create more interactive and "intelligent" attractions. A team of RMIT University researchers is partnering Village Roadshow, the nation's largest theme park operator, to help change the theme-park experience. Village Roadshow Theme Parks, a wholly owned division of Village Roadshow, operates Warner Bros Movie World, Sea World, Wet 'n' Wild Water World, Paradise Country and Australian Outback Spectacular. The three-year project, which recently received Australian Research Council funding of $300,000, will use similar sensing technologies to those used by Nintendo Wii and Microsoft's Kinect. "The notion is that a whole family would go to the attraction and the system will allow them to play together," RMIT School of Computer Science and IT senior lecturer Fabio Zambetta said. "It would adjust the interaction with the theme park as they go along. It senses, understands and reacts to that." Dr Zambetta said the research could be used for water attractions and rides. "The focus at the moment is on water," he said. "One notion we were entertaining is a multi-player game where a whole family comes in and they co-operate together to essentially defeat an opponent of sorts in a water-based scenario. "The system senses what they do and it will adjust the difficulty in playing the game depending upon the family make-up." Dr Zambetta said typically a theme-park experience was "limited" because it was not as interactive as it might be. "With a ride, you get in and get out and there is nothing you can do to somehow affect the outcome of the experience," he said. "We want to bring game-like factors into a theme-park experience so you try to get the best of both worlds." The team plans to have an operational prototype in a theme park as part of the project. "Some of the Disney parks have big screens where people can touch and have games in them, but it is not what we are talking about," Dr Zambetta said. "This is merging the two. There is nothing like that around."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/intelligent-interaction-the-latest-park-theme/story-e6frganx-1226753035874

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • rappa locked this topic