Cyclone queue.

After going there a month ago, the queue line had very obviously changed, with the entrance twisting around the outside. But, is this really an improvement? I found it stupid, when leaving the ride, where you had to go up stairs, then cut across the people lining up, and then walking through what used to be the queue, which is deserted, and that thing in the middle serves no purpose. The old queue was bad, with the lack of entertainment and ventilation in the building, but it was better than what it is now. So I'm wondering, what was the purpose in changing the queue-line, and what are your thoughts on this queueline.

Nothing advertises a water park better than having people stand for excessive amounts of time in a queue that overlooks it. Of course the beauty is the slower they run the ride, the longer people have to (perhaps "get to" is the phrasing they'd use) look at the park. With little hyperbole Cyclone in its original state can't have been far off from having the most poorly designed ride queue at any theme park anywhere. Who'd have thought they could actually make it worse?

I'm surprised its not like motocoaster where they have banners in the queue advertising the world pass, surely that would complete the image? When I was there last, the flashing lights just before you board are now solid, and they are playing the normal in park music in there...Naturally all the TVs are off in the exit queue, but the fan thing in the middle was blowing (What is the point of that other than wasting power and making a streamer fly up?) Such a stupid queue theme if you ask me. It seems as if the designers got too 'close' to the idea, they understood it, but anyone else not familiar with the ride would have a hard time piecing together the whole experience and what it means. That and the lame touches that make you wonder why they bothered, like the back panel of a van attached to a black wall near the entrance, what, are we supposed to think we are looking at a van poking out of a dark garage?

Edited by Gazza

Last time I was there, I'm almost certain they had the tvs running, but the turbine/fan thing wasnt spinning. I find that the whole inside exit area is really crummy. Theres just no effort, and it looks crappy with those streamers or whatever they are on the fan.

The Original Cyclone queue wasn't too bad, it held the guests, and was themed to a standard that we expect from Dreamworld. It's the lack of maintenance it has had over the years, and this recent change which pisses me off about it. If only it had of been maintained better, then again, only if MLE were injecting more money into the maintaining of the parks, how things might be so much different. I am sorry, but does anyone on here agree with me that Dreamworld is starting to look like one of these 3rd world parks that you read and see about? There are so many parts of Dreamworld which are just starting to become an OH&S hazard, it's scary, and sad at the same time. Don't managment care about the image of their park?

Edited by T-bone

This is from the website of the group who constructed the queue for Cyclone Sanderson Group Website

The Cyclone is Dreamworld's latest roller coaster, expecting the ride to be popular Dreamworld contacted the Sanderson Group to develop and construct extensive theming for the queue area of the ride. The aim of this theming was to occupy the patrons as they wait for their turn to ride, visual and physical stimulates like theatrical lighting and a shaking floor add to the experience of the ride. A storyline was developed and monitors encourage patrons to become involved in the experience that gradually intensifies as the queue progresses.
Also some photos vnm2j7.gifiolzkm.gifjucopi.jpgifyb2t.gif The Sanderson group has also done many other themeing projects at Dreamworld such as The Claw, TOT, GD, Nick Central and also Whitewater World. Edited by cooldude069

Sanderson has been brought up before - but good find! We've yakked about the cyclone queue pretty much since it was built, all in the negative. As Richard said - the most poorly designed queue in the world.... well... almost. I think its a combination of whats been said - first, that you have to be pretty intimate with the concept to really understand what they're doing. (A bit like Tower of Terror too). The second is that the maintenance is really a problem. Something breaks, and instead of fixing it to standard, you fix it as cheaply as possible, or you don't fix it at all. Things like the cave wall in Tower of Terror is another example where it is damaged, and they just do nothing. But instead of bringing in the same theming experts to adjust or fix or repair the problem when something is changed - for example the relocation of the TOT queue, they just stick up some stairs, mount some air cons on the wall, and leave it with a very sterile warehouse styled queueline at the start. This is MLE all over, and its such a shame.

Yeah, it really struck me on my last visit how much of a tip the tot queue is, it seems if a repair needed to be made, they just found any old offcut of material to cover it with, so you see stuff ranging from painted particle board to checker plate steel stuck on the walls, none of it lining up or any degree of craftsmanship displayed. All of the theming seems bruised and battered (I only just noticed there is a lunar lander in the queue)

We've yakked about the cyclone queue pretty much since it was built, all in the negative.
As much of a bum rap that Cyclone gets, would most people agree that they were happy DW were picking up this second hand ride, since most of us would have never gotten to ride it otherwise? Edit; Am I the only one that sees the cyclone cow with a halo and wings? Its just the light, but still kinda funny. Edited by Gazza

• 3 weeks later...
did there used to be lift to get you to the TOT station form the queue line?, because they look like lift doors .etc but now dreamworld just put stairs to the station instead of the lifts, was this to cut staff numbers or just a quick fix to the lifts problems?
The first time I rode it was in 06, and there was only stairs, but I do think its weird that they have the lifts there, if no one uses them.

did there used to be lift to get you to the TOT station form the queue line?, because they look like lift doors .etc but now dreamworld just put stairs to the station instead of the lifts, was this to cut staff numbers or just a quick fix to the lifts problems?
They did use the lifts back in the day. I suppose the lifts increased que time and needed more staff.

When i was a young tyke, ythe line would end further down and then youd take the life to the "top of the tower" and then those funky lights on the wall went with a voice over warning about a gas leak or something, on which you were evacuated out of the tower on the actuall ride. Keen observers may note the plothole in the fact you return to the station.

When i was a young tyke, ythe line would end further down and then youd take the life to the "top of the tower" and then those funky lights on the wall went with a voice over warning about a gas leak or something, on which you were evacuated out of the tower on the actuall ride. Keen observers may note the plothole in the fact you return to the station.
At least there was some sort of story to it, unlike now. A story would go down well, even if there was a plothole like before.

• 1 month later...

i remember when i rode it AGES ago with my sister for the first time there was a lift that took you up. it was a old small noisy little elevator that took you up a few floors and you could hear the train roar past when you were in there. i havnt been to dreamworld since 2004, that was when the big mouth was there. im going in january 09 and cant wait to ride it! see what they have then :)