Scooby Doo Lately

rappa

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I understand that has always worked?...no matter what state the ride has been in any of the times I have ridden, the turntable laser cone has been one thing that is consistently there.
Although it does seem pretty consistent, I think on one ride I went on it was working properly. Just a green dot where the laser usually comes from.

Probably just to do with the shutter speed of the camera and the scan rate of the laser making it look solid. I'm sure the laser head has been changed over the years though. There is no health and safety issue as you can see a small masking plate in front of the laser that would block the beam should the laser stop scanning, preventing it from hitting someone in the car.

Yeah, I don't think its to do with shutter speed. The slower the shutter speed the more "cone" like it would appear, and if the camera were doing more than your usual 32FPS, it would still pick up the cone because the laser scan rate is a hell of a lot faster than that. I think you're right in the second part - the head has been changed. This is the simplest explaination - Ockham's Razor. It is a shame it doesn't meet the same standard, and the coloured lasers are nowhere near the insane green lasers that bounced of all those perfectly aligned mirrors. As for the health and safety - i'm still not buying that as the reason for changing the final drop from green to red. I'm sure the distance is about the same, so proximity isn't an issue. The green hid the drop so much better... As a matter of fact - the green just plain and simply HID the drop - the red does not.

There is no way the change to red is WPH&S, I would say it was just for a change, or someone was flogging a cheap red laser! We are pretty lucky here in Aus that 'audience scanning' is allowed with lasers (ie you can point a laser AT a crowd), in the US its strictly forbidden. The cone falls into that category, and the fast scan rate, coupled with the quick moving car means there is no risk whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Well..for the first time in serveral months I rode scooby again today, there is some definate improvement as mentioned. Fog in the main room is bettter and at the final drop, more lasers are running...however I would appear that not a single mirror is used anymore, which is a shame as they are all still sitting there and would add even moreso to the laser effect with almost no effort. Effects on the creatures, lights in eyes etc all work really well...BUT... There has been no change to the speaker system running the music and it still sounds like a muffled mess!! This for me is a deal breaker! That music should be pumping like it used to...so that you could hear it as you come up the lift and wonder what is going on up there and then rock out to as you race around the track. It still sounds like speakers are face down on the floor or a driver is blown or something...as a comparison standing around the spaceshot during a launch results in much louder and clearer sound. For me, this simple fix would lift the entire ride experience significantly and the fact that it has been neglected for so long is really not acceptable. Also the final drop laser was out, however if it was running, it looked like there was enough smoke there for it to be somewhat effective. So to sum up..it's close...but dissappointly, falls short of the experience it used to be. Jay

Well I was not impressed with todays display.There was a breakdown for around half an hour.Then being a first timer on the ride,the laser mentioned at the turntable in previous posts was not a cone,unsure on weather there was enough smoke or not to get the visual effect.I'd expect this to happen during the week,not on a long weekend. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I rode Scooby today and was VERY happy with what I saw (and heard). Everything in the ride was working, dark ride section, and high zone section. Heaps of haze in the main room, all the lasers working and even the side lasers hitting the mirrors running. The audio whilst not the best I've heard is a lot better than what it had been the last time I rode. The audio could be better, but even I can admit the majority of riders are not spending that part of the ride evaluating the fidelity of the audio system. The last room was lit well, Scooby was talking and there was plenty of haze for that laser too. They do need to change it back to a green cone though, there is just no way that red one will ever have enough punch. One thing of interest is the brakes coming out of the last drop in the laser room were back to being really firm. Perhaps the decision has been made to firm up the brakes and pump the fog in, it certainly had the ride looking great. VERY happy to see. I also hear good things about Tunes, I will have to get down there and check it out.

Wonderful! Whilst I know there are a lot of cutbacks happening within the company, I do believe that many parts of MW are getting the touch up ATM. I'll also be extremely happy if the River Ride did receive a touch up (if that was what you were speaking about). That ride would be great if it went under a refurbishment, or a touch up at the least. Next to get some attention: Lethal Weapon trains, Batman Adventure ride and then the next big attraction. :)

rode today. must say its finally back to what it should be apart from scooby at the end. the laser at the top of the first drop is amazing. first time i have ridden with it working. the music was very loud for once although it did sometimes sound like the speakers were behind something. on another note, we made it around to the last drop before the lap bar decided to crush us :P and seriously, is the ball-crushing element of the seat really necessary? i mean really necessary? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a quick visit to MW this afternoon and was really pleased to see that the Scooby Doo coaster was running quite well, admittedly there could have been more smoke in the room and the last drop, but the music was at a decent level and the green laser at the end of the first drop was quite effective, i do wonder though if the ride will be kept at this quality once the school holidays end. On another note, it was nice to see the park quite full due to holidays however a chunk of the carpark has been fenced off for what i assume is part of the Narnia production

I rode around 20 minutes after park opening. The main room for the ride was rather good, still a few MINOR things not working, but it's the best I've seen it in a long time which is a good thing. I also saw Hollywood Stunt Driver for the first time today, and I don't really see why everyone was bagging it out so much. It was NOT as good as Police Academy, but I still found it rather enjoyable.

I rode around 20 minutes after park opening. The main room for the ride was rather good, still a few MINOR things not working, but it's the best I've seen it in a long time which is a good thing. I also saw Hollywood Stunt Driver for the first time today, and I don't really see why everyone was bagging it out so much. It was NOT as good as Police Academy, but I still found it rather enjoyable.
at least HWSD is a show they can easily modify whenever popularity starts to drop

On another note, it was nice to see the park quite full due to holidays however a chunk of the carpark has been fenced off for what i assume is part of the Narnia production
Yep the carpark construction was a part with Narnia.
Obviously I've missed something, and I know it's abit off topic but, what Narnia production?

It gave me a headache, just the same stuff over and over with no plot. And the Scooby Doo was crap now, you could see everything that happened!

• 3 months later...

Rode Scooby while at movie world's fright night on the 24th and I'm pleased to say them main room has finally returned to its former glory in all aspects! All lasers seemed to be running and I noticed mirrors placed correctly adding to the laser *density*. There was a good amount of smoke in the room, The laser at the turntable was working perfectly and FINALLY I could hear the music clearly and not muffled! It makes such a difference. Unfortunately...the final room and drop were completely smokeless. even though the laser *appeared* to be on, but to be honest, if they get the main room right, it lifts the whole ride as you spend the majority of your time there. So nice work on the main room Movie World! Jay