Scooby Doo Lately

rappa

Ok, just to warn you all im about to have a huge rant about this thread and the recent post's. Unless you are a ride op on Scooby you can't say things on this ride arn't working or are turned off. Since the beginning of this month foggers have been installed on different area's of the ride, Under the laser at the spiders end of the main room and at the final drop. Now you can't expect there to be heaps of fog. Back ages ago foggers were removed for reasons which were legit (the fluid messing with the breaks) they then installed the mist system which proved to be a waste of money so they were turned off. Since then everyone complained about no fog/mist WVTP got complaints about the currect effects conditions from both op's and guests so foggers have been installed though, they are only to be running at a minimal and will not fill the room full enough so you can faintly see the lasers. As for the drop no one can say there is no fogger and yes it is working ride the ride sit on the left hand side and just before you drop you can see the machine beside the track along with a huge fluid tank. Lasers are always going to be on, op's ride the rides each morning now to check the effects on the attraction. As for more lighting added to the dark ride section it is a OHS reason for better view on the monitors for anything on the tracks and a few other reason's. As for sat i spent the day in the main room booths as a op monitor and i can say that i saw fog go off often plus all lights were working same with the effects. Plus you can't say things weren't going based on your min 1 to a few rides during the day ride the ride none stop all day then come and tell me things weren't going because you are bound to have a different experience now and then depending on how much fog was in the room at that time. Oh and any question's PM me and im pretty sure any other ride op's on the forums well sure as hell back me up on this.

Edited by klassen24

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus you can't say things weren't going based on your min 1 to a few rides during the day ride the ride none stop all day then come and tell me things weren't going because you are bound to have a different experience now and then depending on how much fog was in the room at that time.
But people shouldn't have to ride all day to get the full experience...Shouldn't the effects be calibrated so that each guest gets to see everything? To me it would be like McDonalds selling Big Macs, but only 8/10 have cheese on them, or 5/10 get sauce, or 7/10 get only one patty. Consistency of product is key......

Well when I went on, some things were not working. I did not say they were off all day but the post regarding my experience 2 Sundays ago was directly relating to the time I rode during the day. I agree with Gazza's post above, each guest should get the same experience each time. I cannot say how the effects are as of today but when I went they wern't all that great. Cheers to WVTP if they have fixed up the problems.

Edited by cadboy

will not fill the room full enough so you can faintly see the lasers.
This was the whole point of the effect. It was designed that way, and it worked for many years before anything began "messing with the brakes". Why not perform maintenance on the brakes more regularly? Run some steel wool through the brake skids during morning check? Daily maintenance would prevent residue build-up... what about water based fog?
As for the drop no one can say there is no fogger and yes it is working ride the ride sit on the left hand side and just before you drop you can see the machine beside the track along with a huge fluid tank.
I really don't think that the fog is the major issue here - the issue is red lasers use a lower frequency than green lasers (or the other way round who cares?) the point is that the red laser does not form the "cone" that the green laser did, and it doesn't hide the drop, particularly when green lights are used on the other side. The GREEN laser hid the GREEN light on the other side. Red doesn't do this so well.
As for more lighting added to the dark ride section it is a OHS reason for better view on the monitors for anything on the tracks and a few other reason's.
TWO WORDS - ABSOLUTE CRAP. Pirates of the caribbean doesn't need more light. Haunted Mansion doesn't need more light. It's called INFRARED CAMERA - with the correct setup, infra red can see in the dark as clear as day. How about instead of ruining the guest experience - we install better infra red emitters to light up the track for the cameras?
Plus you can't say things weren't going based on your min 1 to a few rides during the day ride the ride none stop all day then come and tell me things weren't going because you are bound to have a different experience now and then depending on how much fog was in the room at that time.
Same as Gazza above - the attraction is all about the guest experience. Why should some guests experience on thing and others experience others randomly based on the cost efficiencies (because if the ride didn't have any problem with fog buildup in the past how many years???? then it isn't going to continue to build up quickly - and therefore it has to be based on cost)? My final rant, something that nobody in any realm of WVTP employment has come forward to answer, and is very disappointing - is - WHERE HAVE ALL THE SPEAKERS GONE? The Wild Mouse section of the ride used to have speakers all over the room - it was an absolutely immersive experience - now, like someone has said before - it sounds like the speakers have been covered \ stuffed with something - or my ears are full of cotton wool. There is no reason for the sound to be in such a state. Never before have I experienced that ride where I could hear the gondola screech through the brakes, and click clack as it went over track joins or lifted onto it's upstop wheels during airtime. Never before could I hear the hiss of a fogger, or the mechanics of the elevator. My last ride I heard all of these because the sound is just PATHETIC. It needs to be fixed, and it needs to be fixed NOW.

OH **** sakes, i want this i want that attitude is like really gay. What you prefer a ride there or not?
Another classy post. Nobody is debating about having the ride, this is currently a conversation about the deterioration of what used to be an absolutely brilliant ride experience.

WHERE HAVE ALL THE SPEAKERS GONE? The Wild Mouse section of the ride used to have speakers all over the room - it was an absolutely immersive experience
You are spot on with this post Alex. I totally agree that Spooky Coaster used to be such a great immersive experience. I can remember the first few times going on it and we were just laughing out loud in pure joy. The combination of darkness, lasers, fog and that awesome booming music made it 10 times better than a normal roller coaster. The park is currently doing a real dis-service to the very clever and talented people who created this ride

OH **** sakes, i want this i want that attitude is like really gay. What you prefer a ride there or not?
Look, i'm not one to jump on the moderation train at the first opportunity... (i usually let it circle twice) but I think we've all been patient long enough - I mean come on - this guy is really starting to grate on my nerves. Every word posted is against the spirit of these forums, surely there is a ban in there somewhere - Where have all the moderators gone? Edited by AlexB

Great comeback whitsy. Need I remind you that this is a THEME PARK forum. We discuss matters to do with theme parks, hence the discussion about fog etc. If you think you're too cool for an educated discussion about a theme park, then leave. Quite simple. All this topic is about is how thte SDSC has been lacking in its usually wonderful effects. You don't need to post on here if you think its a stupid argument. Grow up whitsy, or at least act more mature than you are at the moment if that's possible.

**** don't like it, don't ride it.
Remember Whitsy that we as paying customers have the right to complain and ask for better service (or guest experience in this case) if it is below par. The entry fee is already high so once inside the gates all guest should be getting top quality customer service, attractions and entertainment.

Look, i'm not one to jump on the moderation train at the first opportunity... (i usually let it circle twice) but I think we've all been patient long enough - I mean come on - this guy is really starting to grate on my nerves. Every word posted is against the spirit of these forums, surely there is a ban in there somewhere - Where have all the moderators gone?
I'm sure Richo will deal with it soon enough. I personally just find his rants hilarious though....

Look basically the point being proven at the moment here is that the ride these days is basically a half product, Well im afraid that's the way its going to stay even i admit its not in its best shape but its not going the change, and like said above sitting on our asses in front of a computer laptop whatever winging about it isn't going to change anything about the ride. If you are so distraught about make a move i have and so many other people have but not enough for a change. This is the way we see it now and i can see it's going to be like that for a long time to come, and i realize that's not a very positive thing for our parks to be doing.

^ what is the Guest Services department for I ask? If people have problems with their experience at the park, I strongly suggest they voice their complaints directly to Guest Services. If enough complaints are recieved perhaps they will do something about them? I have 1st hand experience at MW taking part in Operations meetings where Guest responses are aired. granted, this may have been 9+ years ago now but I doubt the importance of this has greatly changed over time. Even so, ultimately I doubt much will be done to improve matters such as this. Whether it's Scooby, Looney Tunes or any other attraction showing it's age, truth is the average patron will notice little difference at the time - or at least until they get to the end of their day, sum up their overall experience and perhaps feel underwhelmed and even ripped off... This is the very real scenario that Movieworld management need to be aware of.

i work in a major retail hardware company. each morning we have staff meetings and one of the things discussed is any feedback recieved in the previous days from customers. this can be negative or positive, but if its negative we will then discuss how we can correct our services in order to amend what the customer has complained about so that it doesnt happen again, seen as they are a paying customer then they should be given the service of which we promise. now, what im saying is, as a paying customer to a theme park, should we not have the right to complain that we were not given the full experience of which we expected? its like gazza said before, no use paying for a full big mac and only getting half of one. When we are paying such a price then we expect a certain level of service from staff, and that attractions to be at a certain level. therefore, if we feel that these services are not to standard, should we not have the right to complain to management about this? and shouldnt management then discuss this with staff and find ways to fix the problems so that paying park visitors may get a full experience. just my two cents worth...

Mickey D is exactly correct as bad as it may sound the average patron isn't goign to tell the difference now we firstly need to look at what be are complaining out here also two things not enough fog and the music you really need to think is it really going to effect the average guest anyway, almost every person comes off that ride and says they love it one of there favorite attraction's, Then you have us the picky theme park enthusiast's. The fact is we sit here and wine its not going to change about every couple of weeks someone come's to this thread and complains about the same thing the last person did its nothing new its always the same thing music and fog and lasers but they are always on. Its not going to change there is fog it just doesn't run as much its there, Music in true honesty i don't know what is happening there but i do know the issue is known by staff and management. We are not going to see a change we can sit and argue more and more over this and the total customer experience but there is going to be no change We all know the points that have been proven by each of use but we aint going to see any change soon.

As most people here know I use to work at MW as a ride op, and what I have been reading on these forums lately has disappointed me. I loved movieworld as a child for its total escapism from everyday life. I began working at Movieworld for the very same reason, to engage guests in immersive experiences to give them a break. For a lot of families, a trip to a themepark is a big deal - not everyone can afford an annual pass, or for some people visiting the area the themepark day can be one of the highlights. I remember the first time I rode Scooby Doo. It was an incredible, exhilarating experience. Totally unexpected, so much fun, and easily the best themed ride I had ever been on. I loved working the ins and outs of the ride, and my favourite position to work on the ride was at the unload station. To see countless kids and families again and again just totally overjoyed and excited to have just ridden this incredible attraction, truly made my day. I am planning a return trip to Movieworld soon, to see the changes to the park first hand (admittedly I have not been to the park since the roof installation - I’m one of those people who just cannot afford to go as much as I would like.) My questions and point is - Will I be disappointed re-riding Scooby Doo or should I skip it? If the ride really has deteriorated to the point some suggest here, I do not want to ride it again. Does my satisfaction as a paying guest matter to WVTP? Yes, I have to spend my money wisely, does WVTP deserve my money? I can tell you this, if WVTP have let their most themed attraction deteriorate so they could afford a "stunt" show and a roof I will not return.

This may come as s shock to many of the haters out there, but stuff on this site IS read by people at the park, and in some cases, has led to improvements in park. If simple stuff is broken for long periods of time, then that is a legitimate complaint to make, and who knows, if enough peoples egos get hurt then stuff may eventually get fixed. We're quick to compliment things the parks are doing to improve guest experience, but if that's not what's happening at the park, then you won't see any mention of it here. There are a few points in this topic that deserve more attention, but I'll mention two: A 50 cent light is much cheaper then a $200 infared camera, and we should all know that cost wins out over ride experience; and if the ride checks the ops staff were doing were making any difference then the music in the last room would be working.

Mickey D is exactly correct as bad as it may sound the average patron isn't goign to tell the difference now we firstly need to look at what be are complaining out here also two things not enough fog and the music you really need to think is it really going to effect the average guest anyway, almost every person comes off that ride and says they love it one of there favorite attraction's
But a thing that always makes me wonder is that if guests are supposedly fine without effects, then why go to the expense of installing them in the first place, big sound systems and banks of lasers don't come cheap! If guests in general (Not people on here) were coming out of Stunt Driver in the first couple of weeks pleased, even without the all the effects/show being finished, including crucial ones like the fireball, then why go and put the missing ones in? I think there is a bit more to it than you might think...It's not that people will notice what is missing, but rather it is about providing the extra wow factor, that will at the end of the day (As mickeyD said) determine what they really thought of the place on the whole. I think the difference between enthusiasts on here, and members of the public is that enthusiasts tend to quantify things....We can say that Superman is a good ride because it has a powerful launch, and ejector airtime and rapid fire pacing....would a member of the public look it the same way? No. But the net result is still the same, people come away raving that it's the best thing in the park. We can also say Scooby Doo is diminished, because effects x, y and z aren't working. With Scooby, people are still going to think its pretty good since the ghost train section remains quite solid, and the coaster track itself has enough going for it. But it is a real lost opportunity that they aren't trying to go for gold and deliver everything as the designers intended. If a friend had come home from a holiday, and could describe a this ride unknown to you, with tangible stuff like an amazing display of lasers and this "cool last drop you didn't even know about" wouldn't that make you more inclined to visit? If a ride was not just 'awesome', but 'super awesome', wouldn't that make it harder to tire of, and something you'd be willing to come back for. I'ts complicated I guess what the benefits are. Some might say people don't notice.... I find it hard to believe an overload of lasers with music booming isn't something that has a memorable impact on people (When it is there) It also seems paradoxical that people can say that the public aren't impacted by attention to detail and overall quality, when the most successful theme parks and operators are the ones that can be said to focus on this. Edited by Gazza

There are a few points in this topic that deserve more attention, but I'll mention two: A 50 cent light is much cheaper then a $200 infared camera, and we should all know that cost wins out over ride experience; and if the ride checks the ops staff were doing were making any difference then the music in the last room would be working.
This is the big issue I have though Joz - first of all, It was good enough to spend a heap setting it up in the first place, but even though it still maintains the longest queues in the park (after stunt driver), they aren't willing to spend a bit to keep it that way? Cost over guest experience is not something that I am very used to with WVTP. I understand they have to watch every dollar at the moment, but seriously, we're talking about safety. How can you cheap out and go "we'll just put a light in". Disneyphiles out there would never even dream of those words coming to the lips of the imagineers. And for the country's best themed ride, which in some circles has been compared to some disney attractions - it's just not good enough. WWF Caught fire, and the theming was seriously destroyed. Some said the corrugated iron was a safety thing, others bemoaned the loss of the nice effects and theming, but at the end of the day, it was a "safety" issue, and thats what they hid behind as an excuse not to maintain those effects. What's their excuse for scooby?

I would be surprised if the exec at Movieworld even knew that the music has been off on Scooby Doo for months now... In my experience executives are often disconnected from issues such as this as they are too busy with the 'management' tasks, meetings, planning, events, budgeting, financials etc. That's probably the real reason Scooby Doo has gone from a world class indoor coaster to an average indoor coaster with no music, and few effects (if you're lucky). Next time i visit i'll be sure to ask guest services why the music has been turned off on the Scooby Doo ride!