Spongebob 3D?

joz

A little article on www.screamscape.com has caught my eye, and just thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention:

Attraction Media Entertainment - (11/19/03) AME has gained the rights to sell the brand new Stargate SG-1.... as well as the same SpongeBob Squarepants 3D film that opened at the Paramount Parks in 2003.
With Dreamworld and Paramount such good friends, and Dreamworld with its new Nick Central area, could it be the obvious choice to replace the Australian Outback Show? Have the 2 other 3D films on the Gold Coast made it not worth the efforts? Post your thoughts here.

Rip the guts out of the Gum Tree Gully Theatre and put in some nice new technology (seriously, those wooden bench seats are like something out of an old church) and something like SpongeBob 3D (only three dimensions... haha, Sea World must be laughing right now :D) could be done. However, I don't know how Dreamworld would feel about a) putting a Nickelodeon outside of the brand new Nickelodeon Central and B) building a second theatre, especially when the Imax is really underperforming (they really[i/] need some new films!). I'd say probably not next year, at least it's not in the budget. We can be hopeful after that - SpongeBob is by far one of the better cartoons out there today and it is becoming more and more popular in Australia.

(only three dimensions... haha, Sea World must be laughing right now :D). However, I don't know how Dreamworld would feel about building a second theatre, especially when the Imax is really underperforming.
Richard, I'm told that Steeve Peet is actually going to attend a public education program, designed to teach people the difference between 3-D and 4-D. As for Dreamworld's Imax theatre, well, I think all they really need to do is put in a new film in it, and promote it a bit more. Fair enough if it is under performing, after all Imax theatres are old news, but so are 3D films, and Pirates was popular right up till the day it closed. Marvin the Martian still packs 'em in, and Planet SOS is being met with enthusiasm by guests. I don't think it would take much effort from Dreamworld to get the theatre as popular as it was at its peak (back in the days when a day at Dreamworld always included watching an Imax film and watching the Bushranger show). The only thing I don't like about the plan is putting a Nickelodean film outside Nick Central, but since Gum Tree Gully will probably turn into an extension of Nick Central in a few years (sigh), it'd probably work out all right.

• 4 months later...

I think it would all be too expensive. To develop something of that proportion, as well as promote it, actually buy the rights to the film and run it, would not be worth the appeal. I dare say the IMAX movies are ordinary ones so they don't cost so much. People don't go to Dreamworld to see a quality movie afterall...

The park used to put good films on, and even play two different (good) films on the same day. I think in Tony's tenure, thats one area where he has let the standard drop a long way (perhaps he didn't see the value in a nice big Imax theater with 400 seats in his park?). The Imax theatre has been under utilised recently. I firmly beleive that the park would benifit quite well from closing the theater down and give it a bit of a face lift and re-open it with good films.