RAINBOW ACCIDENT

rappa

Regardless as to what ride it is, this is still a horrific circumstance. Yes we all know that is the ride that I have loved over all these years, but hey, at the end of the day it is a machine, so whether it is the Rainbow or Wave Swinger, or even a Space Roller, any ride can have an accident. Luckily nobody died, and it just came down to broken bones and shock. Thankfully the ride didn't malfunction at a higher point in the cycle. I don't really want to deal with immature people saying things like "haha stupid Rainbow or Huss is crap" because it will just make you look stupid. My thoughts go out to the people and hope they recover quickly, and that Huss are able to come out and determine the problem that caused this accident.

Thoughts are with those and their families. I'm intrigued by the circumstances... How exactly did/does a ball bearing malfunction? (Come to think of it I can imagine many ways) More questions, but I guess almost everyone here is in the same 'boat'. Also. Am I correct in thinking Huss got bought by S&S?

Also. Am I correct in thinking Huss got bought by S&S?
No it was some other company that saved huss from bankruptcy. I can however make things more complicated. Huss and Arrow did have a corporate relationship way back, then they split, Arrow was fine for many years, but they went bust after the fisaco with X at SFMM, and it was Arrow who were bought out by S&S. For those of you who aren't long time readers and didn't get DjRappas joke, it is this guy who would be a bit upset right now.

Hi there, I'm new here at the forums. Does anyone know if there is any exploded view or basic theory of operation for the Huss Rainbow available somewhere online? I believe the newspapers here in sweden mess it all up when they're speculating about what went wrong with the Rainbow at Liseberg. One newspaper, "Dagens nyheter" (The daily news), showed some graphics explaining how the "swing arm" disconnected from the "base", which of course is completely incorrect. So i would like to find some document showing the theory of operation, or prefferably, an exploded view. I have my own two theories about how it operates, but I would like to know for sure. 1. A chain inside the "swing arm" links the platform to a static "chain wheel" located inside the top of the "base", to keep the platform leveled. 2: A shaft inside the "swing arm" links the platform to the static "base" via two pairs of 45-degrees gears to keep the platform leveled.

Apparently the ride isnt shaft driven like the Ali Baba.... there was a diagram years ago in which there is a large chain that is inside. This tells me that something must have snapped inside for the gondola to tilt to the left, and then continue tilting until the ride hit the ground. At the bottom of the boom, the ride has a cover in which you can see inside... O'Neills were checking this in Sydney this year, and they left the cover off while operating, it looks as if there is a huge bearing where the gondola connects to the arm... couldn't see shafts or a chain. I don't know exactly how the lower boom is made up inside.

So Chris why haven't we seen you around much lately? your other ID hasn't posted since late 2005, and since you created this one in april 07, you've made 9 posts... most of which are in here... I remember when I first joined R-C\TT your posts littered the forums. I remember the animated gif you had as an avatar at that point quite vividly.