The Perfect Coaster for LPS?

Jobe

Just searching through RCDB when I stumbled upon this recent coaster at Indiana Beach, built by S&S Power. It looks quite thrilling and packs quite a punch for its size with a maximum height of 96 ft, 3 inversions and a 120 degree drop!! Its capacity would not be huge due to it only having 4 cars with 4 people per car, but the shortness of the ride would mean that movement would be fairly constant. Its small footprint would make it attractive for any park in Australia and I could see one definitely being installed next to the Tumblebug, an area that is very poorly utilised at this current time (ironic in a park that is so limited in space such as LPS!!). Small parks take note!!! How long will it be before we get to see these type of unique rides in Australia?? Anyhow, here is the link, check it out for yourself. www.rcdb.com/id2722.htm Comments? Cheers Jobe

Edited by Jobe

Yeah, its in interesting little ride, probably not 'major' enough for the GC parks, but the Luna Parks could take notice of it...reportedly its not a bad ride, and they seem to have finally mastered this style of ride with unconventional elements. That said, I think there are a number of rides out there that could fill the void....there are many parks out there with space limitations, and manufacturers have recognised this. Things such as the Gerstlauer Eurofighter, http://www.rcdb.com/ig3573.htm?picture=5 Intamin Vertical Lift, http://www.rcdb.com/ig4049.htm?picture=10 Intamin Zac Spin, http://www.rcdb.com/ig3613.htm?picture=1 and the Maurer Sohne Launched X Car http://www.rcdb.com/ig3602.htm?picture=23 all seem like viable choices. The biggest barrier of course is the current ownership, and the residential towers around the park.

Yeah they all look like reasonable coasters to put into parks with limited space, however I feel that the S&S Power model makes far better use of its footprint, has far better elements involved and also feels like a "real" coaster. A Eurofighter would be perfect in any park in Australia.(Space permitting in the Luna Parks) The Intamin Vertical lift would be at home at any of the GC parks but maybe a bit large for our Luna Parks. The Zac Spin would be a great addition to either Luna Park but would probably be too small to be a major addition to any GC park. The Maurer Sohne X Car looks to be an excellent ride and its small footprint would be great in any park in Australia but I have heard that its restraints are very uncomfortable and give a poor ride experience. I dont think the S&S El Loco model would be out of place at LPS and dont feel that it would be any louder that the current rides there, however the residents probably would not agree!! Ride placement would be vital to ensure its success but if it met the current noise level restrictions it would slot in quite nicely next to the Tumblebug on the raised concrete slab, partially behind the Big Top which would act as a noise break. There are several makes of coaster out there which could slot quite easily in any of our small parks, it will just take a Park CEO with with enough nous and vision to make it a reality!! Not sure of the costs of these rides but surely they would be within reasonable expectation? Anyone fill me in here? Gazza do you know the prices for the rides you quoted? Comments? Cheers Jobe

In current AUD values: Zac Spin $5 Mil Intamin Vertical Lift Coaster $14 Mil Eurofighter $8.5 Mil for this http://www.rcdb.com/ig2229.htm X Car $4.6 Mil For This http://www.rcdb.com/m/id3312.htm (not really the best comparison) I'm not quite sure if I'm looking in the right place, but the only space I can see next to tumble bug is between it and Coney island...unfortunately its only about 10m wide (narrows down to 5m) and about ....I think even a big apple coaster would struggle to fit in there. The ride system itself doesn't really matter much, as long as it is the sort that uses short vehicles, to allow it to make tighter turns. Its really up to the designers to snake it in where it can fit. I mean who would have thought Hollywood Dream would have been built where it currently stands.

Oh I totally agree!! Designers can virtually fit any coaster just about anywhere-its all a question of money and willingness to do so!!! Given the figures you have quoted , perhaps some of these models may be a little out of reach for some of the smaller parks in OZ to attain, but they would make a great investment nonetheless. If you have a look at Google Maps of LPS ,you will see directly next to the Tumblebug a large unused space between it and the Big Top. Looking at the S&S model it appears that this footprint would fit best in this space and quite snugly too.( I am only guesstimating between photos but it seems a resonable fit). The reason I am looking at this space is because a) it is there and not utilised,B) it would be partially shielded from the Big Top as a noise break, c)no other ride need be displaced to install this attraction. I personally dont think that LPS will ever install a ride like this , but it is good to know that there are definitely some options that they could consider if they ever chose to go down this route. Cheers Jobe

I saw a report on the Steel Hawg on TPR and I must say it looked like a real nice and intense coaster. Only thing is another coaster would never get the approval. If you know any residents in the area around the park you will know why it won't. Majority of the residents hate the noise as it is, and I mean do you blame them. Ah well, we can always dream. If LPS gets a nice little compact coaster, I know where I'm going to be on my days off. On a side note, I really like the look of Formule X and reading a few reviews of it, it seems like a really good coaster. I like how it doesn't have shoulder restraints and just lap, really adds to the fear and excitement.

Yes I know, but with some that area could only be the only area they could, we all know what the rent is like in Sydney. I understand where your coming from I really do. I was there at the beginning of the year visiting my sister in Sydney and we went to her friends house which is in that area, she said at first its fine but after a while it does get annoying. In heinze sight, they have nothing to complain about now, the addition of new big attraction such as the roller coaster would be a bit of a different story. You need to visit one of the apartments to get the right idea.

I agree Gazza. The Zacspin looks like fun but I would prefer a more fleshed out coaster experience. Still,if LPS were to get one I would be suitably impressed and would line up with everybody else to have a go. The resident issue has been covered ad nauseam on these boards but this is the first time I have seen anyone even remotely sympathetic to their point of view!!! Howver Mickey _079 I think your argument is inherently flawed. As has been stated numerous times, the Park has been there for over 75 years and has an inherent right to function as a fun park with all the noise and trappings that one associates with an amusement park. All the residential towers have been built around or after the Park came into existence. However you state they should not be able to build a new coaster?? Why?? The Park should have the right to offer to its patrons the latest in ride technology which will allow it to compete and attract a larger captive audience. The Government should impose a ban on any residential complaint against the Park on the grounds of noise. The simple solution is to move or soundproof your apartment. A small price to pay for having one of the best views in the world !!! I sincerley hope that one day LPS will acquire another coaster. It SHOULD be allowed the opportunity to,especially if the building of the coaster was done to comply with reasonable noise guidelines and goverment policy, and NOT residential demands. Cheers Jobe