WhiteWater World exceeds forecasts for first year in operation

Parkz News

So there were only 250,000 odd people visit without buying a World Pass? I'd venture that most of those world passes were DW visitors upgrading to a duel pass rather than the other way around. Is that not amazing how little of a draw it was as a stand alone attraction without Dreamworld next door? WWW is a good little water park on its own, and I've thought it would have attracted more on guests on its own power. Still, good to see it going well otherwise, WWW IMHO is the best thing that has happened on Dreamworld property for a longtime.

I'd go further as to say it's the best thing to happen to Gold Coast parks in general in a long time. Wet'n'Wild is no longer the cash cow it once was. WVTP have to put some effort in to keep on top. The net result is that now around 1.5 million people are paying to visit GC water parks each year. Two or three years ago we were looking at around half that figure. You're right that as a standalone it's definitely not performed terribly well. Their overall strategy has been pretty weak in that the park they've built is clearly capable of a lot more, but piggybacking off DW was their strategy from the start. It's hardly the stuff entrepreneurial legends are made of, but they're making the money they expected to so I guess ML are happy.

It is great to see WWW performing above the oringinal expectations

Wet'n'Wild is no longer the cash cow it once was. WVTP have to put some effort in to keep on top.
I completely agree Rich. Adding WWW turned up the heat resulting with WNW expanding its hirizons and overall guest expreince and visa versa to keep up. Competition is something that drives the industry and I have a feeling we are going to see more and more of it in the future. Dreamworld vs Movieworld and Wet'n'wild vs Whitwater World. In the end we the consumers benifit from the competition.

but piggybacking off DW was their strategy from the start. It's hardly the stuff entrepreneurial legends are made of,
Interesting you should say that Rich. I knew a guy once who rented a kiosk in a small backwater shopping mall in Melbourne, outside a Strathfield Car Radios store (melbourne equivalent). He sold Mobile Phones back in the day before pre-paid. People would come to the mall to visit the Strathfield store, and in passing him, would come and see what he had to offer. He'd do the contract and process the connection, ask the customer to come back in 15 minutes, and then he'd drive to another retail shop, purchase the phone from them, come back - and customer happy On his own, he had no chance - he didn't even stock the mobile phones, he only bought them as he sold them, but his success came from the fact that he was right outside the big strathfield juggernaut. People would not come to him if he was on some corner, but being right next to the big store, people detoured to him - "because he was there". And it worked.... Speaking of Entrepreneurial Legends - the guy's name was John Ilhan AKA Crazy John.